1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major Malcontent, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Not Catholic...mostly an agnostic comfortable with Christian terminology. But the timing is good for me..I think I (again) need to try to give up booze for a while.

I am scared as **** of giving up the sauce...I have had some pretty bad outcomes as far as getting pretty sick is concerned (no convulsions or anything medical attention worthy though)

So is anyone else giving up something of note...... for religious or other reasons?

2. ketchupNmustard

Do fried foods and beer follow your criteria? I'm allowing myself to drink a little Conac or wine, as I don't drink like I'm in college anymore. I try to do a good lent, I'm a struggling catholic, mostly a Christian spiritual, as I've analyzed other religions and they intrigue me as much as christianity.

Think about the Muslims, Ramadan sounds worse than giving up booze to me.
    Those are some devout dudes. They blow themselves up( and others) for their faith, that's deception.lol.

3. ketchupNmustard

Fixed a little something.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Nothing. I think it's silly.

If you are going to give something up, do it for your personal health. Don't sacrifice something you enjoy unless sacrificing it would be beneficial to your health.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

lol

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2S7ddl1tGg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

not giving up anything hahahaha

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

Your mom

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm actually giving up red meat for the full 40 days, not just Fridays. Also bread and tortillas as well as potatoes. This pretty much takes out all the fast food places. Going to try and eat as healthy as I can the next month and a half.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm giving up giving up things for Lent.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This just happened to coincide with Lent, but I'm trying really hard to where my next beer is on March 9 at a bar in Santa Cruz, CA, called 99 Bottles (similar to Flying Saucer). The wife and I have started running and our first 5k* is in 10 days, so I decided that last Sunday would be my last beer for a while. This will be the longest I've gone without a beer since my beerpiphany in the parking lot of the Tavern in Austin during the Rockets/T-Wolves series in 1997.

* I will be starting a thread in eight days to ask how I should prepare to win this thing.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

^ Awesome, looking forward to that thread.

I will be the Micky to your Rocky.

Yer gonna eat lightnin, and yer gonna crap thunda kid!

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm going to give up Christian Mythology. Will be tough.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm doing paleo for Lent, so I am giving up alcohol, grains, and dairy, as well as any overly-processed foods. Giving up the booze will be sacrifice. The rest is for my health. Also, I'm going to fast the first two meals on Fridays completely.

I'm definitely taking Lent more seriously this year than I have in the past.

15. Prince

Prince Member

time to fast...

fast eating..

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wanted to give you up... but I'm never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down.

1 person likes this.
  17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Purely coincidental, but last Monday I decided to give up booze for one month (ends on St. Patty's Day, ironically). So now I have everyone asking if I'm Catholic, which I'm not. But I chose to do so simply to cleanse my body before I get back into my exercise program (P90x). The fact that it's happened during lent was quite amusing to me.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you're getting physically sick, that sounds like a serious problem. You may want to consider giving it up altogether, not just for a while. Hope it works out for you.