1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lemon Law? Please help!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LooneyToon, Mar 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

I purchased a 93- Chevy Cavalier about 3 weeks ago, the guy told me there was nothing wrong with it, I bought the car "as is", and as soon as I drove it off the lot, the "check engine" light was coming on. 5 minutes later, it will go off and 15 minutes later it comes on again. The same thing iwth my ABS light. I can tell my brakes are extremely bad. Sometimes when I'm moving at 5-10 MPH and I try to stop, it doesn't until I press the brake pedal to the floor, then it makes a sudden stop from 5MPH to 0.

I took it in to the shop yesterday. Isn't there a law stating that if I was told that the car was in ok condition, that within a months time, if something major is wrong with it then the dealership has to pay for all cost?

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Man, we practically begged you to not buy that car.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh man, you're gonna get reamed for this one.

Lesson #1 why you should never buy a car without test driving it first.

4. LooneyToon

I did, the lights never came on, the brakes seemed to work fine. I had faith in this one.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Didn't you buy that thing without having seen it, test drove it and had it check out?

http://www.consumerfraudalert.com/index.cfm/CFID/5583139/CFTOKEN/14727059/MenuItemID/204.htm

"The Texas Lemon Law is an administrative proceeding of the Texas Department of Transportation limited exclusively to disputes with vehicle manufacturers over warranty disputes with vehicles that are still subject to the original manufacturers warranty or shortly thereafter. THE LEMON LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO THE PURCHASE OF USED CARS UNLESS THEY ARE UNDER THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY. The Texas Department of Transportation has attempted to create a user-friendly system which does not require a lawyer. However, you may find it helpful to consult with an attorney to review your complaint before filing or to handle your case. The manufacturers through their representatives are familiar with the lemon law process, the rules and the administrative law judges who administer those hearings. Some of the procedures may be confusing or unusual to someone without experience in that area. It may also help to meet with an attorney to sort out your claim. Most lemon vehicles have been a problem on more than one occasion. Sorting and organizing your complaints into the statutory terms enhances your chance of success. It is also common that you can recover at least some if not all of your attorney’s fees from the manufacturer if you have a valid lemon law complaint. You may also be able to recover some damages or other claims."

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

How many miles does the car have on it??

What year???

7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

We told you not to do it and yet........you went and did it anyhow. You've made a serious mistake and now...you're going to have to pay the consequences for your action. I don't mean to scold, but we did tell you not to do it and many of us have bought cars before, dealt with dealers and have knowledge of how the system works. I don't have a bit of sympathy for you.

8. LooneyToon

about 120K, its a 93'

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Never...go against the bbs.

10. codell

And you didnt have a mechanic or anyone check out it before you bought it??

You are pretty much SOL. The Lemon Law doesn't apply to your car.

On your break problem, it sounds like your breaks are worn down and need to be replaced. Just Brakes can usually do that for $100.

As far as your check engine light, you need to have someone diagnose the cause and go from there.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What did the dealership have to say about these problems? The one used car I bought for my son came with a 30 day warranty that we were able to pay to upgrade to 1 year.

12. LooneyToon

he said a car for that cheap doesn't come with a warranty ($1,000)

13. codell

Thats pretty much the case.

That car, in decent shape, should have been about $2,000.

So in the end, you basically got what you paid for: A vehicle in below average condition.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, you got what you paid for. Take it to The brake shop and get new pads, or whatever needs to be replaced. Most likely the cost would be around $100.

Take that thing to PEP boys or somethign and get it diagnosed, have them check it to see why the warning lights are appearing, it could be something seriouse.

16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

For a 1000 dollars car? I think the repair fee gonna be way more than that, I think the shop gonna tell you the money you have to spend on this thing is going to be around 500-700 bucks.

My car is a 92 honda accord, I bought it for around 1500 dollars, it was pretty f*ucked up when I bought it, I spend a good deal of money (about 600 dollars) on it, and right now it runs like a dream.

So when you buy a used car that's under 2000 dollars, expect to pay around 500 dollars more just to repair it.

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Lesson #2: Don't ask for advice here and not follow it.

Lesson #3: If you choose another path, don't follow our advice and everything goes wrong, don't let us know it.

Sorry, man.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

[​IMG]

HAHA.

sorry, but you were warned. I bought my car from an auction, but atleast i drove it around man. the same lights went off on mine, but i got a good 6 months out of it, plus i only payed 375 for mine... the engine light is just retarted, could be your freaking air filter, and the light goes off, the brakes on the other hand, i would say the brake pums is busted. thats what happened to mine, i replaced em all for about 125 dollars, so not bad i guess... worked another 3 montsh, and is making noises again, ill be satisfied if i get anotehr 3 montsh out of it, and you shouldnt expect much more out of urs.