1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leinart: Holding out

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocket River, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is he more of a Greedy B than Bush was? - Rocket River

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5860360?print=true

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) - Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green has lost his patience with rookie Matt Leinart and his contract holdout.

Green sharply criticized Leinart and his representatives on Monday for rejecting "a more than generous" offer from the team.

"It is an outstanding contract," Green said. "It's $14 million guaranteed."

Green said the deal is far more than a 10th pick would normally receive.

Leinart's agent, Tom Condon, did not return a telephone message seeking a response to Green's comments.

Leinart is the only first-round pick unsigned. The next-to-last holdout agreed to terms a week ago. That's the date, Green said, the Cardinals made their latest offer.

Leinart might have been the No. 1 pick in the draft a year ago but he decided to remain at USC for his senior season. This year, he unexpectedly fell to the Cardinals at the No. 10 spot.

Green said the sides were at odds over the total value of the contract, which the coach said was among the top five of this year's deals with draft picks.

The main issue reportedly is the size of escalation clauses that would give Leinart additional money the more he plays.

Green was upset with the perception that Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill was being cheap in the negotiations.

"I've been here two years," Green said. "All I know is when we set out a strategy, whether it be signing Bertrand Berry, or drafting Larry Fitzgerald, Bill Bidwill has helped us get that player."

He said the signing of running back Edgerrin James was the best example.

"Edgerrin James is as big as they come," Green said. "We had our powder dry and we got a guy who's been the most significant back in the National Football League over the last seven years."

Leinart's absence was magnified when backup John Navarre threw two interceptions in Saturday's preseason opener against Pittsburgh.

Kurt Warner understands Green's frustrations.

"Coach wants guys to help us win and Matt's one of those guys that's going to make our team better," Warner said. "That sometimes can get frustrating as players, as a coach, because so much of that is out of your control."

"Leinart has missed a crucial two weeks of training camp," Warner said.

"I think everybody knows that the more days you miss, the more games you miss, the farther and farther you fall behind and the harder it is to catch up," Warner said.

He said that the number of reps a backup quarterback gets diminishes the closer it gets to the regular season. Green said he looks forward to former Super Bowl MVPs Warner and Tom Brady, "who was not a No. 10 pick," playing for a quarter in Saturday's preseason game at New England.

"It would be a shame if Matt Leinart is still sitting out there as the only player in the National Football League who is not in the National Football League, and you've got an impressive deal on the table.

"That's just the kind of mood I'm in," Green said, before he walked away.

2. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Leinart signed today.

Here's the link.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He just wanted to spend more time with Paris Hilton before returning to camp.

4. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Yea, he just signed....It was actually a disagreement with the contract. He just wanted to be paid as a starter in 2-4 years when/if he became the starter and the club didnt want to add the escalators in the contract for this to happen. I think this is fair. Talent wise he is a Top 1-3 pick and if he comes out a year early he's #1. Was he greedy when he decided to stay at USC an extra year over being a high paid #1 pick. I think not. Look at his past and you will see what kind of guy he is. He's just trying to make the best out of an unfortunate situation as anyone of us would do.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

he is the new poster boy
    for NOT staying in school

Rocket River

6. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Yep...He should make it up in endorsements though..Cardinals are stacked.

7. kobefor3ITSGOOD

Leinart just signed :)

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Face lingo? :confused:

9. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Longstory

10. Major

Major Member

This is commonly said, but I disagree. Nothing he did his senior year hurt his draft stock. After the Rose Bowl, he was still talked about as a top 3 pick. Where he got hurt was when NFL teams really started microanalyzing him. He would have fallen last year too once he went through those things - how far, we don't really know (depends who needed QBs) - but his weaknesses (deep ball accuracy, for example) showed up after he declared. Nothing he did his senior year hurt him at all.

11. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

The 49er's pretty much had him signed #1 already if he came out that year. Do you really believe they would have taken small handed Alex Smith over Matt? 49ers would make the trade right now.

Where Matt got hurt this year is the Titans took a gamble on Vince Young because of his heroics in the rose bowl Al Davis doesn't like left handed QB's, Saints and Dolphins picked up QB's via free agency. Nobody else had a need for a QB, inturn he fell to 10.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with that... ;) Finally, but c'mon, he isn't going to start over Kurt...Never was...It was more to get him in the system and learn, which two weeks can be made up...

13. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

Agreed But I believe D. Greens main gripe is that Kurt Warner is very injury prone. Hasn't completed a full season since the Rams went to the superbowl. So, Matt more than likely would have the chance to start. Sort of like a Drew Bledsoe situation where Brady took over with a great team behind him and stayed forever.

14. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Yep. The titans owner wanted to take a chance on VY, the coaches wanted Leinart. If VY didn't go 4 Leinart would have and VY woulda went 10th more than likely. The owner took a chance on VY and that hurt Leinart, but he still got paid so it is all good i'm sure.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Anyone want to lay out the contracts (years, amount, bonus/gurant) of:

Alex Smith:

&

Mario Williams:
    Reggie Bush:
    Vince Young:
    Matt Leinart:
    Jay Cutler:

just curious.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

nothing he did hurt him but he wouldn't have fallen that far the previous draft. the differences were the quality at the front of the draft compared to last season and the teams that wanted qbs.

a lot of experts from day one said the forty niners made that pick because they needed a qb more than they liked smith. smith had more question marks last year than lienart this season.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Aw, man. I thought this was a thread about Leinart withholding sex from Paris Hilton. :(

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

desert scar.. since I am the big Jay Cutler fan...

From the reports I've heard he was at 6 years, 48 mil, around 11 mil guranteed (he looked really good the other day too in his first game)

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

25mil > 14mil

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

do you think that Greater Than sign is big enough?

Rocket River
    :D