1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Legal] Traveling to Cuba. Allowed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Mar 25, 2005.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

A friend of mine is contemplating a trip to Fidel Castro's hizzie country. This will be with some friends and leaving from Houston. Sometime in early May.

Are any of you Cuban, know info, or where or how I can find out if she can travel there without getting sent back because of some law? Are there laws or policies regarding American Citizens, or Mexican Citizens traveling to Cuba?

I know it's not legal for Cuban refugees to go back, or they don't allow it, because once you get here as a refugee, why go back, right? I heard of this with Celia Cruz, because she got to go to GiTMO and touch Cuban soil.

Any Cubanos here? Coño, ayudenme... "Cosa mah grandeh caballero...!"

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have a friend that went a few years ago. He had to fly in through either Costa Rica or Mexico, I can't remember which. They went to Havana and had a fantastic time. As long as they stay out of trouble, there should be no issues. Basically, money talks in any language.

3. esse

esse Contributing Member

Several of my friends have gone.
    One was even in the Cuban Biennial (art show)
    Most go through Mexico City.

I'd go in a heartbeat.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Here's the deal:
    You can go legally with a medical, charity, or scientific permit. However, since Bush considers Fidel a supporter of terrorists, it is difficult to get one of these permits. I dont think it is illegal to go there...but it is illegal to spend money there. You are essentially, in the eyes of this administration, funnel money into a terror-sponsoring govt. The UST frowns on this.

You can fly to Canada or Mexico or another non-American country and fly in...the Cuban customs guys know that Americans dont want their passports stamped.

However....since 911, the US govt has been given access to lists of passengers that fly from Mexico City and other locations to Cuba, all in the name of anti-terror. Meaning that even if you dont use your passport at customs, Big Brother is going to have a record of you making this trip. They have been mailing out fines. $7500 for the first trip. $10000 for any other trips after that. Some people have negotiated a lower fine, but you know the gov't take on negotiating.

Here's an example of a couple that went. However they advertised it:

http://bernie.house.gov/documents/articles/20040421093319.asp

My dad is a diplomat who works for Dept of Treasury and basically put the kibosh on my dive trip to Cuba bc it would have impacted his career (Bush appointee's son visits evil Cuba = not good for beltway career)

Its all about risk vs reward, I guess.

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

there is a member of this board who posts in the GARM under the name "dsnowman23" or "snowman23" who you need to get in touch with about this. trust me.

6. SwoLy-D

Thanks! I found him and sent him an email. He hasn't posted since 3/11, and I hope he chimes in with a word here. It's dsnow23, BTW.

7. SwoLy-D

Allright... there is panic and misunderstanding about a country we know nothing about, but my friend's friends are talking about who says WHAT concerning how to go. Is there a Cuban Embassy here? I doubt it.

I am contemplating what a Cuban, or the Cuban Embassy or representatives here from the United States government (like the Bush thinkers, someone who thinks my friends will go there to harbor terrorists), might say to someone

Think about the US and the CUBAN response to each of these questions:

Scenario 1: I am an American Citizen, born here, lived here, am caucasian/black/hispanic and want to visit Cuba. What can I do?

Scenario 2: I am a naturalized American Citizen born in Mexico, can travel into Mexico and back with no problems, but want to visit Cuba. What can I do?

Scenario 3: I am a Mexican citizen who came to visit my relatives in the United States and want to find out from the United States or Cuba what I can do to go back to Mexico to visit Cuba. What can I do?

Certainly, people from the United States are viewed in bad light by the Cuban government.

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

You can enter with no problems, its when you come back through US immigration with a Cuban stamp on your passport that gets you in trouble. You will need to travel to a third country first as direct travel from the US is slim. Cancun, Toronto, Panama, Costa Rica are options. Ask the immigration agents in the country you choose not to stamp your passport as exiting the country. Maybe a $20 would help. Then ask the Cubans tol not stamp you as entering as well. I hear they don't as they know it will cause problems for you.

Oh, you asked for a legal way - forgetaboutit

9. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Michah1j is basically dead on. Please call on Monday if you have any questions and are serious about traveling to Cuba. contact info at www.cubatravelusa.com .

10. SwoLy-D

"You dudes are flippin' awesome... :mad: , that's why!!!" - Napoleon Dynamite

dsnow, i will tell my friends to call. Thanks for showing up.