1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Legal Help] Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ascaptjack, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I didn't want to derail ABforPresident's thread.

Anyways,

I got pulled over about a week and a half ago for going 50 in a 35 and I didn't have car insurance, but the cop didn't give me a ticket for that. He only gave me a ticket for speeding.

I got insurance on the car a couple of days ago though.

I've got a couple of questions to ask. Should I take defensive driving and plead no contest or should I just go ahead and pay the ticket? What would be cheaper?

Also, could the cop or judge or whoever I see at court give me an additional ticket for no insurance even though I just got it and it wasn't on the ticket that the cop gave me?

Btw, my court date is scheduled for next Wednesday on Oct. 20th. I won't be able to go tomorrow because I will be in SA for work and the court is obviously closed on the weekends.

Is it too late for me to even qualify to sign up for Defensive Driving if I go in on Monday?

TIA

2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Take defensive driving to save it from your record. You can take it as long as its before your court date.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Isn't there like a rule where you have like 90 days after you court date to complete and submit all your paper work, i.e driving record, defensive driving receipt and insurance card.

Also, would the court give me an additional ticket if they found out I got my insurance after I got the speeding ticket?

As I said, the cop didn't give me a ticket for no insurance. I flat out told him I didn't have insurance seeing as how it was a new car and he was extremely nice about that.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I wish I could just get this taken care of tomorrow but stupid work has me traveling to San Antonio for the day. :(

I got the ticket in Sugar Land by the way. They are everywhere. :eek:

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The courts kind of screwed me my first speeding ticket back in '06 and said I couldn't take defensive driving after my court date so I just paid the fine. It only takes about 6 hours to do it online. They can tell if you got insurance after your date but if they aren't charging you with that NEVER mention it again to avoid paying. Often cops will charge you with one thing and not everything they can so just be grateful for that.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Yes, the court will give you 3 months (90 days) to complete and submit your defensive driving.

And no the court will not give you a ticket for getting insurance after ( i dont think thats even possible) If the cop didnt ticket you for no insurance then no one will find out.

Just do your defensive driving and you should be ok.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

So when I go in on Monday, I just tell them if I can take defensive driving and if they say yes, then will I have to pay the court fees in advance or whenever I submit all my paperwork?

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Got my first speeding ticket (but not my first traffic ticket) 2 years ago for going 50 in a 35 feeter road. I paid some law firm $75 and they delayed my court date for more than half a year. On the court date I showed up, talked to the lawyer for 1 minute then he got up and left. 10 minutes later the judge says ticket was dismissed and that was that.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Oh I didn't have to fill out any paperwork, do defensive driving, and it wasn't on my record. Good deal.

10. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Yes, just walk up and say you want defensive driving if it is your first court date and they'll give you a deadline to finish it. Still gonna cost you some cash but it is better than paying the ticket.

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Yeah, they will let you take defensive driving. And youre going to pay all the fees in advance. (except you will have to pay for your defensive driving separately when you sign up for it.)

12. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Can you give me a rough estimate on how much it will cost minus the defensive driving?

BTW, thanks for all ya'lls help.

13. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

I got a ticket on I-10 near Katy for doing 74 in a 65...in a HOV lane. :mad:

Did the no contest plea and defensive driving. I think I paid ~$110, plus another ~$25 or so for the defensive driving. Oh, and I needed to get an affidavit notarized which set me back another couple bucks.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Why don't you try what I did? (a few posts above). It went perfectly and their was very little hassle, just a simple phone call and they were pretty professional. I think specialize on getting people off on speeding tickets. If you want I can find their business card with their name on it, I know I have it somewhere.

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I got a letter from a law firm about a week after I got my ticket. It was Sullo & Sullo. They said they would charge 99 bucks, but wouldn't that just be a hassle?

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just did this last week, although I had to come back at a 1PM court time since the cop called to show up. No idea how my lawyer got me out of the ticket, but it was worth it. There were like 60 people in the courtroom, and MAYBE 4 had to pay a fine, all had lawyers or the cop just didn't show. The judges don't give a **** and just wanna go home. Lawyer up!

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

David Spretcher. Call him. He seems to get EVERYONE out of their tickets.

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It would be less hassle than having to do defensive drive, or pay a fine and have it on your record. I pay them 75 bucks straight and all I had to do was show up half a year later and I got off scot-free, dismissed. No fine, defensive driving, nothing on my record.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why did you use the "mad" smiley? Were you mad that you didn't know you broke the law? :confused: