1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Led Zeppelin vs. The Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 4, 2011.

?

Which Was the Greater Band?

1. Led Zeppelin

123 vote(s)
    83.7%
  2. The Who

24 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Pretty cool list. I bet most would look at this list and say, "OK, I get everything but #6- what's with that?" Now, I know about R.M. and their greatness, but I'd venture to say most don't.

My list- and I've got plenty of reasons for my list- and reasons why even though Zep isn't in my top 10, I'd say they're in the top 3, or maybe #1, for best studio album band of all time:

1. Bruce Springsteen
    2. The Who
    3. U2
    4. REM
    5. The Beatles
    6. Marvin Gaye
    7. Cheap Trick
    8. The Kinks
    9. Radiohead
    10. Rush

But the difference among these 10 is so small that, some weeks, Marvin Gaye is by far my favorite artist of all time, or The Kinks. I'd say that all 10 of these artists, in some way, shape, or form, not only had an impact on other artists, but they also put out great albums with great songs, great musicianship, and great lyrics.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, then there is a lot of great music out there that you have yet to discover. Enjoy!!!

3. rhester

rhester Member

To compare the bands and give reasons- The Who was widely popular with the press- especially smashing all their equipment stuff

Led Zepplin was dished by the press early on and refused to give interviews alot

The bands that played Woodstock all had alot of push in America

Zepplin was formed in 1969- mostly a post Woodstock band

Zepplin didn't release singles off albums

Both were great concert bands- real rock of the era

The Who were showman

Keith Moon was a sensational drummer.

Both produced great works for my generation who sat around smoking pot and listening to music instead of studying, working or doing anything else productive.

4. Fatty FatBastard

If you couldn't see the humor in me capitalizing "JUST" when the thread was seven years old then you are an idiot. And I can totally see you being embarrased by people noticing that you were copying a thread that you were obviously aware of. I couldn't care less, but obviously you did.

As to thread length? The board has grown quite a bit in seven years.

5. thegary

thegary Member

you get your wheaties pissed in more than anyone on this board. i know that must suck, and i'd have sympathy for you if you didn't feel compelled to take it out on everyone. cheers!

6. Fatty FatBastard

Go read what started this is the first place. I wasn't the one who started on the offensive. But when this numbnut calls me a "troll" for pointing the other thread out; one that he was fully aware of, you're damn right I'm going to respond.

And to whatever else you're blithering on about?

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Why must you be so angry? You and Dick Cheney seem to have similar debating styles there. I like to think I have a good memory but even I cannot remember threads on music that were started SEVEN years ago, but if you want to believe that I "copied" you, go right ahead. And what does "couldn't care less" mean? Nothing?? As usual, your use of words and phrases bring smiles to everyone on this board. And true the board has grown quite a bit. However at the same time it is also true that your threads here, unless it is about you getting into a prolonged pissing match with someone or drunken ramblings, are ones that do not go into informative discussions about the topic being discussed. Why is that, Fatty?

8. Fatty FatBastard

First off, you were the one who went to name-calling initially you imbecile. Secondly, I would've expected an "oh yeah! I remember that thread." considering you posted several times in it. What I didn't expect was you getting so embarrassed by it and getting defensive.

As to informative discussions? That is hilarious. I've done those an a rare basis, and I can search for several if you'd like, but this is a freaking Basketball BBS. What I find funnier about that statement is that you think you're f***ing Einstein on here because you like talking about the last CD you picked up at Walmart.

9. Manny Ramirez

So what is your blood pressure reading right now? Again with the name calling, I see but I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

I guess I should consider it an honor, one that I can wear with pride, that you have credited me with such a phenomenal memory. Let's take a quick, brief look at things that have happened in my life back when you first started the Zeppelin/Who thread to when I decided to "copy" your idea:

1) I have gotten married (and have been for 4 and a half years)
    2) I have 2 kids now
    3) I own my house (back in '02 or '03 whenever that thread that you started, I was living in a family owned house)
    4) I have changed jobs
    5) George W Bush is no longer the President
    6) The Red Sox have won not one but TWO world series in this timeframe

Do I need to keep going? So, lots of things have been happening in Manny Ramirez's life but unfortunately, remembering that "Fatty FatBastard" started a thread over 7 years ago on who was better - The Who or Led Zeppelin rates so low on the radar screen that I would describe it as infinitesimal. Do you even know what the word I italicized means?

Oh and the last time I bought a CD at Wal-Mart, I believe might have been around the time you were "sidelining" as a country singer. Funny, I don't remember seeing your CD in the electronics section back then - must have been a local, indie release only, huh?

1 person likes this.
  10. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Newsflash: your generalization of "your generation" is mostly a stereotype- the large majority of individuals did not fit in that category, along with the assumption that everyone in the 60s were hippies (they were a much, much smaller group than we are led to believe).

11. Fatty FatBastard

If all that were the case, why did you react so defensively, champ?

Your incessant rambling about music and your self-proclaimed "expert" status on the subject has gotten really really tired.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

I know over 20 songs from Nickelback, but I don't think I'm familiar with anything by The Beatles, so I'll definitely go with N.B. DOHHHH!!

It's not like radio plays anything like Baba O' Riley, Bargain, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Who Are You, Love Reign O'er Me, The Real Me, I'm Free, My Generation, or anything like that.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

The Who also nearly refused to go on stage at Woodstock until they got paid up front in cash as they were near bankruptcy at the time. I always thought that was pretty lame, but it's one of those things that sounds worse than it probably was, I guess. I mean, If I was almost bankrupt and was asked to play a show like that, and it looked like people might not get paid, well... I dunno. Probably more of a PR disaster than a real issue I'd have with them at this point.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Hey, you all are both great posters, but are you seriously going to complain about his focus on one topic with your track record? Really, FFB? No one forces you to click on his threads, so if you're tired of them, that's your own fault. And in your defense, I think Manny didn't catch the sarcasm of your 1st post, otherwise it wouldn't have gone past that.

Now, there is room in the ClutchFans sandbox for all of us, music fanatics and relationship-alcohol-midnight confessions folks alike. Let's play nice.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

The Who hated Woodstock because their music was the antithesis of the peace-love-hippie movement. Their music was about frustration, rebellion, anarchy, gender identity issues ("I'm a boy, I'm a boy, but my mom won't admit it") and most of all, anger. That's why Pete Townshend kicked Abbie Hoffman in the a** and drove him offstage during their performance when Abbie tried to give a speech.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Tommy was The Who's psychedelic phase.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MKdusyjiuvY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

17. rhester

rhester Member

NewsflashII: I know that was a generalization and a stereotype and... anything you say about a 'generation' is just that.

Most of the people where I grew up were considered rednecks and the hippies were outnumbered 20-1

I was a surfer which is different than a hippie

My generation is still characterized by hippies, the VietNam war, and pot- how many people my age actually protested the Viet Nam war? I never did.

How many actually smoked pot? (Oh, I did ;) )

18. Manny Ramirez

LOL, reacting defensively is not the same as calling them as I see them, tiger. With your track record and MO, what else was I suppose to think other than that you were trolling? You have done it before to not only me and music threads but to other people as well but hey that is how you roll, I guess.

According to you but thankfully not to everyone else. As dandorotik said, you don't like the thread or topic, don't comment on it. But I know that is asking something that you just cannot do.

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

That and because, well, he jumped on stage during their performance to b**** about the treatment of Sinclair being arrested for the hippielettuce. Again, lame, by woodstock standards, but really dude kinda had it coming.

The payment thing, I can see where that would be a PR nightmare, but kicking that dude off the stage (while again being against the woodstock grain) was something that should have entrenched them with followers of their style of rock.

20. Manny Ramirez

dando,

It is alright - honestly, I enjoy FFB trying to come back at me with insults and profanities and misusing the English language in general. He gives me and many others great material to work with!