1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron's legacy and perspective

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Mar 3, 2019.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron's Miami rings are a joke whene he won MVP and Finals MVP for those 2 rings?

OTH Kobe's rings are legit when he rode Shaq's coattails for 3 rings. Lol! Putting Kobe 3rd is a major disrespect to Tim Duncan, you realize TD has as much rings as Kobe, more MVPs than Kobe and was the main man for all his rings right? TD also never had a superstar teammate during his title runs, certainly none on the level of Shaq or freaking Pau Gasol.

#41 roslolian, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron doesn't need an excuse he has 3 more MVPs than Harden.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats not the only thing he has going for him lol he has 4 MVPs, 2 MVPs and 9 straight Finals apperances. He is also still a superstar at year 16 his star batchmates aka Melo, Bosh and Dwade have all retired or are out of the league.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Won't surpass Jordan. Never thought he was going to get there regardless of how this season pans out. Only chance was if he came West, carried this young Lakers squad and somehow won a chip + MVP.

Clear #2.

roslolian likes this.
  5. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

They make the playoff or not this year does not effect my perspective on this guy 1 bit. He's the most overrated stat padding cancer player I have seen. His whole career his teammates always held him back, his coaches all sucked, front offices could never get him enough help. Not to mention all the travelling, flopping and choking. Call him "great" all you want, not me, I cant stand this guy.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so you do admit he cant compete in the west and his east conference runs are vs strawman competition?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

MVPs are league wide they aren't limited to conference.

Lebron is averaging 27 8 8 is that somebody who can't compete? I already told you so many times, Lebron is old now his contemporaries are freaking retired he is still a top 5 player in the NBA. What are you gonna do, look at Lebron when he is 60 and tell me he can't compete in the NBA? :rolleyes:

At the very least Lebron always fought tooth and nail in the playoffs, even when it was 1v4 against GSW. Which is more than I can say about Kobe who quit like a b**** against PHX.

Icehouse likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Before 1990, I don’t know. I reserve 10 superstars better than Lebron.
    After 1990, 7 players better than Lebron
    Jordan
    Magic
    Bird
    Olajuwon
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Kobe

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lebron was NEVER the goat, I always laught when people are like "him doing this nullifies him!" He has been doing this for yeas....coasting and giving his teammates **** and then being well rested and beating up on easy competition. He's top 5 all time which is huge but even bird or magic, Kareem et al were better

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

His legacy definitely took a hit the day he chose to go to Lakers instead of going to a team that had a legitimate chance to knock off the Warriors and a chance to win more rings.

You had to be a delusional moron to think that you would be able to quickly assemble a team in LA and beat one of the best teams ever assembled talent-wise. I dont think he is that delusional, and if was, then he is a bigger moron that I think he is.

He didn't take the challenge and instead packed his bags.

Clearly winning was not on the top of his list.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sorry but he is not in top 5.

And I laugh at people that compare him to Jordan. Jordan was an assassin.

Lebron has had his meltdowns on the biggest stage and that is hard for me to forget.

The Mavs undressed him the Finals. He has struggled against the Spurs and Kawhi as well. Ray Allen saved him or Spurs would have finished the Heat in 6 games and won that Final series.

And remember these were his super teams that he had assembled.

He does not have the mental makeup of a top 5 player.

#51 Zboy, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    James.B.H, J.R., Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Called it when he chose LA--his entire goal was to basically call it a career and shift his focus into building a media empire while coasting out his final years in the league. If he had cared about winning more chips, building his legacy, and making a case for GOAT, he would've come here, or maybe Philadelphia. If he cared about loyalty he would've stayed in Cleveland and gone down with the ship.

Choosing LA was a signal that he's done caring about winning, and that's all there is to it. The only good thing about it is, we get to enjoy seeing Lakers fans get their hopes up and then having them dashed. :D

mikol13 likes this.
  13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers believe that Jason Kidd or ty lue will take the team to win title.

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers new coach selection to win championships from Lakers fans
    Juwan Howard
    Stan van gundy
    Scott brooks
    Tom thib
    Mark Jackson
    Kevin mchale
    Ty lue
    Jason Kidd
    Derek fisher
    Byron scott

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What I don't get is why if he was hellbent on LA, he couldn't go to the Clippers. Or here's a crazy thought. Focus on basketball for 3-4 more years, THEN settle in LA and start up your media empire. Seriously, like the window will close on that if he does it at 37 instead of 34? Not to mention that the NBA season only covers 2/3 of the year(assuming you reach the Finals). That leaves 4-5 months where he can be in LA doing whatever non-basketball related activities he wants to engage in.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lakers have better advertising
    However
    It would have been more marketing to bring the lowly Clippers to a championship
    but
    I think Jerry West is there and he was not about to allow LeBron that type of power

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

James reminds me of Field of Dreams. He thought that "they will come." That if he went to LA that outstanding players would be tripping over themselves to play with him and with the "legendary Lakers." It hasn't happened. That has to piss him off.

He had a serous injury that not only sidelined him for 18 games, but appears to have cost them a spot in the playoffs. I doubt if he expected either scenario. No one can predict an injury, I'll give him that, but he didn't have the team he expected to back him up and at least not lose a lot of ground while he was out, and he also didn't return fresh as a daisy.

I'm actually amused by what has happened to the guy. It couldn't have happened to a bigger ego. As for his legacy, the LA experience won't help it, but perhaps the off-season will bring him a better team, with better results. We'll see. He's starting to get long in the tooth. Time is no longer on his side. There are players I would rank above him, like Hakeem and Jordan, but I've never been a big fan of Mr. James.

jcf, Richie_Rich and steddinotayto like this.
  18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Basketball talent and IQ, top 3. Basketball player, I wouldn't put him in the top 5. My top five are (in no particular order): Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and Magic. I don't put him in top 5 because LeBron picked and chose how and where he played and with whom.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think he does care. I think when he threw his teammates under the bus and the AD trade didn't happen, it really changed the locker room atmosphere. Had the AD trade gone through though, I think the narrative would be different and they would be in playoff contention. I'm glad the trade didn't happen and am enjoying watching the Lakers implode.

To be honest though, not getting AD may be better for them. If this season's injury is a sign that Lebron won't be able to compete for 82 games a year anymore, and as injury prone as AD is, the Lakers could be investing in two injury prone stars that will inevitably need time off to recuperate at some point in the regular season. The Rockets got Harden who is a total workhorse and was able to carry the load while CP3 who unfortunately is injured often was able to recuperate.

With two injury prone stars, if one should fall, neither has demonstrated they can carry the workload against stacked Western Conference teams. Otherwise the Pels and Lakers would be in playoff contention right now. And considering how thin their roster depth would be to acquire both AD and Lebron, the backups in their stead may not even pass as more than serviceable G-Leaguers.

There is some real talent on both teams. Holiday is a real good player. Ingram I could someday see becoming an ISO scoring threat that's even more dangerous than what he's demonstrated. At worst, he'll be a future Gerald Green, which would translate into a serviceable veteran with a lot of athleticism and is a scoring threat. Green thrives in our system as does just about any journeyman the Rockets acquire.

I think he could fit in well in the D'Antoni system (not suggesting trading for him or anything) especially if the coaches are making him do 3 point drills everyday.

#59 London'sBurning, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

LeBron's greatest achievement was to convince Wade and Bosh that they needed each other in order to win championships when, in fact, it was LeBron that needed them in order to tip the balance of power in LeBron's favor to rule the East for almost the past decade. Without the Superfriends team up, LeBron most likely wouldn't have gotten past Boston in Year 1 and Year 2 of the Miami team up. Year 3 LeBron definitely wouldn't have gotten past the Pacers.

slothy420 and Richie_Rich like this.