1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron's legacy and perspective

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Mar 3, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So two questions:
    1. How do you personally feel about his legacy given how his season in LA is panning out so far?
    2. Will the perspective shift now in the media and will they finally admit Lebron has been coasting, taking it easy, had it easy in the East, relied on his ability to shape a team and have superstars around him to win, is not this great teammate, see that he has always thrown his teammates and coaches under the bus whenever he felt like it, acting like a spoiled brat and might be even toxic?

For me, this season shows why Lebron will never be the greatest in my eyes. That statement about being the GOAT was the ultimate proof for me how his ego has gotten too big and this whole has reminded me why I disliked him all these years. His return to Cleveland and going up against the Warriors definitely had me rooting for them, but even then he was always doing these things that made me question his character.

Regardless of our opinion, if KD, Harden or any other superstar would behave this way, guaranteed the media would not have been as forgiving. Harden in particular would've been put on blast and his legacy tarnished.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes the legend of beating the weak lestern conference teams while playing on superstacked contenders with multiple allstars

macho GRANDE, James.B.H, s3ts and 3 others like this.
  3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Two words describe him perfectly and it fits his name

LeQuit Blames

slothy420 and juanm34 like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's still a great player. Will probably either be 1 or 2 in history.

But the biggest problem isn't with his play - it's with the way he has carried himself since leaving the Heat. He's the one who orchestrates everything. Sometimes it pans out (Wiggins traded for Love) and sometimes it doesn't (this entire Lakers season, so far). But he's called "LeGM" for a reason. Everything that happens to a team, has his fingerprints all over it. And, despite the one success that he's had since leaving Miami, it seems like he's failing right now.

There's definitely no love lost for him, though. He's the one who chose to sign with LA instead of literally anywhere else. You know teams would have moved heaven and earth to clear room for a LeBron signing. He's the one who picked pieces to be traded or let go, for the likes of Rondo, Stephenson, McGee.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This season only shows that:

1) Father Time is catching up with a player who has more mileage on him than any other player ever at the same stage, in like season 16.

2) That his GM skills have failed in LA. They worked in prior locations.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lebron and Chris Paul are about the same age. CP probably half a year younger.

They both signed huge contracts, both are about to decline.

No need to say who is the better player. Both are and were great.

Lebron has even more mileage on his body.

Where as LBJ is thinking about his legacy and if he adds more rings to his collection, CP3 is still chasing that elusive first one.

[​IMG]

#6 daywalker02, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    amaru likes this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Lebron is having difficulty adjusting to playing real basketball for an entire season....
    He may need another season or so to adjust or up his GM skills to attract superstars......

awc713 likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

I may be one of the few people who--prior to his trip to LAL--had LBJ eventually surpassing MJ. They're clearly two different players, but I thought LBJ would eventually show to be the superior player, resume and all, when it was all said and done.

This season has really taken a hit. It isn't just that he's missing the playoffs. It's how he's missing the playoffs. It's the pettiness mixed with arrogance mixed with contentness. The problem for LBJ is that, in his head, he thinks he's already surpassed MJ. LBJ is too deep into himself (and LA at this point), and it's sad. Posting personal records on Instagram while his team is suffering embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss. LBJ has zero self awareness. He takes the easy out and blames his teammates. His entire attitude this season is pretty much "it's not my fault". I think JH, KD, even Giannis would at least have that LAL roster around the 6 or 7 seed. Their roster isn't complete trash, even if they are missing a second star.

I won't say this season is the nail in the coffin for the LBJ/MJ debate. He's still got several years left. But his overall year this season has stirred up plenty of reasons to be concerned. Father time doesn't lie, and LBJ isn't the player he used to be, even with how great he still is. For the past 15 years, he's had the benefit of resting for 65% of each season. But now that he's in the Western Conference, against real competition...boy. His only true saving grace is if AD or Kawhi comes to LAL, and based on LBJ's age, he may very well be second fiddle to whoever comes and wins in LAL.

#8 awc713, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    R0ckets03, s3ts, Bearded13 and 2 others like this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

No, no, no. I will not allow you 2 make more excuses for the self proclaimed "King". You've been one of his biggest sack holders here going back to his Miami days. I repeatedly explained to you the advantage he's had beating up on eastern conference teams, which is primarily why he's been in the finals every year. So let's NOT blame "father time" for openly pouting & being a poor leader. Lets not blame the GM when Lebron's BEEN playing player/GM through his bff Rich Paul.

Also, ppl like you hate Kobe ALOT. But if Kobe the "chucker" can drag Smush Parker, Kwame Brown & Chris Mihm to game 6 vs a very good Phoenix team, is it reasonable to assume the GOAT (according to him) can atleast get this current Lakers team to the postseason? I thought he was the "King"?

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lol he wanted L.A. Enjoy it. Ain't easy like the East.

macho GRANDE and s3ts like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I understand people saying he “rested”

If that’s the case though it’s absolutely amazing what he will end up with statistically if that’s the case.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No big issue.
    He got injured
    He will bounce back.

Rocket River

amaru likes this.
  13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'd be pretty surprised if he wins anything significant again. People know what he's like when he comes to their team...I can't imagine the whining we're going to have to hear about for the rest of his career. He had a great run thou.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

LeBron is one of the top 5, maybe top 3, of all time. But he could've been #1 had he not gone to the Lakers. He really needed one or two more rings to top Jordan. Instead he's harming his legacy by being in the lottery. And God forbid they don't sign any free agents this summer, then they may be relegated to the lottery the rest of his time there.

amaru likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Lebron will go down as a top 5 player. He isn’t #1 or #2. At this point I don’t see what puts him above Kobe.

He’s always been a drama king that can lay claim to getting as many coaches fired as anything else. He had to collude with Bosh/Wade to win two titles and still lost another two. Those Heat were never even as dominant as the current era Warriors. His biggest accomplishment was coming back 3-1 to beat the Warriors. Fantastic player and one of the greatest of all time, but way more flawed than people ever seem to talk about.

This is a fitting end to his career.

macho GRANDE, s3ts, jcf and 1 other person like this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Never happy with his teammates or coaches. Complain complain complain. I'm tired of this guy.

17. hakeemthagreat

He's definitely the "King" of putting up great stats. Even when the effort isn't there, Lebron will fill that statsheet up like nobody can

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The 3-1 comeback against the 73-win Warriors and bringing a title to Cleveland is what has him in the Top 3. That was an amazing achievement and he carried so much of a load that postseason vs when he had Wade and Bosh in Miami. I also think what he did against the Warriors in 2015 doesn't get enough attention. No Love and no Kyrie after OT of Game 1 and he had his team up 2-1 against the 67-15 Warriors. If those injuries hadn't happened, the Cavs would've won that series.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

future generations won't know about lerbon's drama queen habits, unfortunately. they will see only highlights and stats. he's top 5 maybe, but doesn't have that killer instinct and focus like jordan or kobe. plus his only ring that he really deserved was the one with the cavs, the miami rings are a joke.

he's behind dream, mj, kobe (dream being the #1 goat obviously). i put him in the same tier as bird and magic.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I put him before Kirby though, at least he is a gentleman in the hotels.