1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron's fundamentals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gezza, Mar 18, 2013.

1. gezza

gezza Member

First of all, I really like Lebron's personality. I like how he interacts with fans and think it's good for the NBA. He likes to joke around at times but knows when to get his game face on.

Having said that, watching him constantly getting away with travels infuriates me. There's no doubt he is immensely talented and is a physical freak of nature, but I don't understand how someone who played basketball their entire life travels so much. His latest offense is a dunk made against Boston. I don't think it's on Youtube but if you go to nba.com and select the Heat / Boston game, it's the clip titled "Chalmers Steals, James Slams". After the play, even Bradley appeals to the referee about the blatant travel.

I grew up playing basketball in Australia and we learned the fundamentals at basketball camps and youth leagues. After you get the hang of playing basetkball, you learn to only take 2 steps after the dribble. Taking any more and it actually feels awkward and you immediately know you did it, and you'd get called for it too.

It almost feels as though playing "too fundamentally" these days puts you at a disadvantage. If you learned not to travel as a young player, then you are not going to be as effective as players who have done so their entire life and can do so naturally during games and get away with it. My question is, when Lebron travels, does it feel weird to him? Or is it just a natural part of his game?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

You said he travels so much then said you don't understand why he travel so much.

You basically answered your own question

3. amaru

amaru Member

His fundamentals are sound. Players of his caliber usually get away with more b/c they are marketing machines.

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

He doesn't travel that much. You are just looking for something to complain about because LeBron has no weaknesses and you really don't know what else to say.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Searching for flaws in a virtually flawless game...

C'mon OP....complaining about traveling in the NBA?

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

This forum is turning into. Realgm. Lebron all day everyday

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

He really doesn't travel any more than any other player. LeBron's game is a work of art. No flaws.

8. munco

munco Member

I haven't watched the game, but if you can travel and not get called for it then you should be travelling. Taking an extra step is a huge advantage.

9. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Kind of nitpicking here, but he hasn't hit a jumper all game.

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

What's his FG% for the season?

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did he dunk from behind the 3 pt line?

12. SacTown

SacTown Member

Well, the game winner he just hit was a long jumper. :cool:

[​IMG]

13. jocar

jocar Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hWYgaJAFLFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Lol. I'm actually a pretty big lebron fan. At the time of posting he hadn't hit anything outside of 5 feet.

15. SacTown

SacTown Member

True. He got most of his points in the paint tonight and he hit that dagger. What did he go for 37 points 13 assists or something like that? #King

16. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Most dominant player since Shaq/Duncan. Might be even deadlier due to his versatility and the fact that he doesn't need a big man to win.

1 person likes this.
  17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

imo Harden travels waaay more than anyone else, and I'm a HUGE Harden homer

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

So does Harden. Whats your point? Lebron got hacked like 10 times while driving to the basket today and got no fts. He gets Shaq esque treatment when attacking the rim and converts at the rim at a Shaq esque percentage. If it was Durant he would get 20 FTs at the bare minimum.

Anyway, every superstar gets preferential treatment.

Lebron:
    Pros:
    Gets away with traveling sometimes.
    Can be overaggressive on D without getting called for fouls.

Cons:
    Gets hacked all the time with no calls(probably since he is so strong and fast).

Durant

Pros:
    Someone breathes on Durant. A shooting foul is called in his favor.
    Someone touches Durant. Foul.
    Someone touches Durant a bit too roughly. Flagrant foul.

Cons:
    none

20. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Like in any system, those who are able to bend the rules to their advantage without breaking them, are usually the most successful.