1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron willing to talk to GSW if they create MAX Cap space

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NateNate, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

^ OK - thanks.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Most ideal situation for the NBA IMO is if KD and Bron talk and say "okay, i got 2 titles cheesing in Miami and you got 2 cheesing in GS. Were even now so lets go carry our own teams and create parity again and see if you can tie me for 3 or i get more." I've siad before that they've had this rivalry thing and they were 1-2 the whole way until Bron went to Miami and got his championships including one against KD. That never happens, then KD never ditches OKC.
    KD opts in and gets traded to Washington for Otto Porter and filler. GS remains the biggest threat by having their original big 3 still in prime while adding a 44% 3 pt shooting/defensive player in Porter. Washington big 3 of KD/Wall/Beal. LeBron goes to Philly where they are very young and there are a lot of questions/Simmons can't shoot/Embiid injury prone/Fultz a bust? But, the potential is limitless. Boston gets more experienced and have Kyrie and Gordon next season. Toronto retools slightly. Indiana gets better. That East is finally strong. In the West, Houston even if they stay put is still one of the top 3 favorites. Then there are like 4 more teams with an actual realistic shot. It wouldn't be a guarantee that GS would win every year anymore.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

...or, if I was KD, I'd realize what a good situation I'm in (with a relatively young core), stay put, and continue to put a stranglehold on the NBA.

As a basketball player, you look out for yourself first. Why would you want to create parity if you have such a good thing going? No one in their right mind would give other teams a chance, if it meant decreasing your own chances at a title. And by a significant margin, at that.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well then LeBron should just go ahead and sign on with Golden State too. Just ruin the league once and for all that way they are forced to make changes.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So someone please check my math here and explain to me if I'm doing this wrong. As constructed the warriors will owe $129 M in salary next year if they keep Durant and their key players. If Durant opts out of his deal and the warriors renounce his rights that number shoots down to $103 M. Now, the cap number I have seen for 2018 is $101 M, meaning the warriors are still $2 M over. If they trade/let go of every player except Green, Curry and Thompson they will have a salary figure of roughly $73 M leaving roughly $28 M in cap space to sign both Durant AND James. Lebron, on his own, is eligible for $40 M next year (technically $39.6). Am I really expected to believe Lebron takes roughly a 75% pay cut along with KD to join the warriors? On top of that, the team then only has 5 players on contract and they fill the rest with Vet min deals? I don't see it. Maybe my math is wrong here.

Of course, the team could also trade away Green or Thompson to make room, but would they really do that? That's also assuming they find suitors for Iggy and Livingston in teams with cap space. Maybe I'm missing something...

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Both of those things are true, Major.

With the added caveat that GS is so much better than the rest of the league, except the Rockets.

There is no other team in the league that currently stands a chance. Maybe Boston next year, but probably not.

Hence the NBA finals are boring and not fun.

I think that was the point @B-Bob was making.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

8. underrated015

underrated015 Member

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Klay? Yes, please.

Donkey?? Hell no!!

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

Lebron already has 3 rings and has nothing to prove. He will not tarnish his legacy by joining the gsw

Sajan likes this.
  12. StevieCrossover

James can join GSW and create mega team. Then when all star game comes around it'll be GSW vs The rest of the NBA.

13. StevieCrossover

But really, the nba needs put a limit on how many max contracts that an NBA team can sign

For example a team can only sign 2 players 20 million and above
    And sign everybody else 12 million and under.

But if Super Stars want to play together and take a huge paycut then i'll say go for it, they're making that sacrafice.

14. cebu

cebu Member

that would be a disaster. no one would watch NBA anymore.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Anyone who was okay with Durant joining GSW also has to approve of LBJ going there. Why not add Kawhi as well? Durant could always use more help.

Easy and francis 4 prez like this.