1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron on play-in games: "Whoever came up with that s*** needs to be fired"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, May 3, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That’s not the one that scares me, it’s POR retaining our lottery-protected FRP from them. Fortunately, Lillard isn’t going to tank, but if we’re talking Lakers injuries scenarios ... POR is worse. They should be locked into no Lotto, whether Lillard gets injured last week or during playin, or not.

#61 heypartner, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I guess the problem otherwise is that landing at 9th or 10th is arguably a more advantageous position then landing at 7th or 8th, because you get the lottery pick PLUS a chance to advance in the playoffs. But the possibility of a team tanking in the end of the regular season to drop from 8 to 9 definitely seems like less of an issue than the possibility of tanking a play-in game.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The problem is, in the current situation, the 7th team and the 9th team has a big gap (in both conferences). Last minute tanking would be impossible. The play in makes it possible. A good team with a couple of key players injured would be incentivized to forego the playoffs and get a better (maybe much better) pick than they otherwise would not have gotten.

4. DonatelloLimestone

Do they get hte lottery pick? I'm assuming if you are 7th, lose the first game, which you then get a shot again to play for the 8th. If you lose that then you get the 9th seed thus the 14th pick in the lottery so their is some consolation of a couple picks better.

In the end of the day, I get the frustration of someone going through the marathon and hitting a 7th seed then having to prove it all over with the risk of even possibly losing it to a 10th seed, then also theres a history of how little the 7th and 8th seeds move forward and it becomes almost a pass over round, this brings a LOT of excitement, possiblity for people in the 9-11th area and also gives fans a taste of that good ol March mAdnes style one game to leave it all where we only get if there is the rare game 7. I'm looking forward to it. If I was lakers or mavs, I'd be annoyed too, but for entertainment purposes this is a winner

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. AXG

AXG Member

At this point, the Lakers are probably positioning themselves to avoid playing the Clippers in the first round. They stand a much better chance against the Suns or Jazz. They will get healthy at just the right time.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

When he highlights Lakers and Blazer's upcoming opponents; he skipped right over the Rocekts. :D

Jontro likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, good luck for them. The Clippers-Nuggests 3rd-4th seeding probably won't be decided until the last game of the season.

If the Clippers go #4, they need to be at #6 or #7. If the Clippers go #3, they need to be either #5 or #8. #5 is hard with the Mavs 2 games ahead of them. #8 is very dangerous because they have to tank the first play-in game and then win the second. A lot can go wrong.

I think it is not worth it to go through so much risk just to avoid a certain opponent. I've always felt that tanking for playoffs positioning is a loser mentality. If you are to win a championship, you should believe that you can beat anybody in your way.

JumpMan and YOLO like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Does the Blazers loss to the Suns hurt our chances of acquiring their FRP? The Lakers have benefited from it.
    @Nook @ApacheWarrior

10. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Portland had lots of injuries early, but is going into the postseason healthy. Even if they lose to Denver and end up in the play-in, I'll take my chances with them against Golden State, Memphis and San Antonio. All those teams are dangerous, for different reasons, but Portland is the most complete team from that bunch.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I don't think anyone is ever going to pass up on getting to compete in the playoffs to pick ~13th instead of ~16th and get a ~5% chance at a top 5 pick.

Ownership isn't going to want to give up that revenue if nothing else and the players sure as heck aren't going to turn off their competitive fire to get in the playoffs.

The only chance I could maybe see it crossing anyone's minds is a situation like we have with Portland where they could assure keeping their pick. But even then, no player is going to go along with that.

Patience and saleem like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So who is landing 7? Does Portland HAVE to beat Denver?

saleem likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

If the Lakers go 2-0 which they can playing Indy/NO, yes portland needs to beat Denver. If they don't, the Lakers will move up.

Portland choked the chance last night and left the door open

saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thank you!

How much does our pick jump If Portland ends up with the 8 seed after the play-in fiesta? From like 22 to 16 or something?

I am trying to weigh my hate for the Lakers vs my pick envy.

Jontro and saleem like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Does Denver tank that game on purpose to crap on the Lakers?

:D

Jontro likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're still playing for the 2/3 seed themselves. So I wouldn't see how that would make sense for them, especially when that matchup does depend on how Dallas/Portland/LA all fall in place for #5-7 seeds which nobody knows right now

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

LeRoidRage

JayGoogle, clos4life and JumpMan like this.
  19. HardenVolumeOne

league wants to make the warriors dont miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight year. great move by the league

Jontro and clos4life like this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Don't worry, even if the Warriors were to embarras themselves for a third time Wekko368 would still defend Curry and say he is capable of carrying a team on his own despite of any supporting evidence, like...I don't know...say, making the playoffs!