1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron Hate

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NafeesLACC, May 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I don't hate LeBron, but I have a passionate hate of being force fed stuff.

I was at the 2005 World Series, listening to national FOX and ESPN grouse about having to be there, since no one would be watching without the Yankees and the BoSox.

Golfer Joe Schmo is about to hit a 59 and win the Masters...we'll show you a tape delay of his final shot after we finish this live footage of a 8 strokes back Tiger talking to his caddy about the weather.

We interrupt the 4th quarter of the Texans Cardinals super bowl to bring you pressing news. Brett Favre just took a crap! And there is corn in it. Here's live footage.

Frankly as an NBA fan I think the match ups in Nuggets/Magic are still compelling basketball, and it makes the ESPN machine choke on it. So that is what I am hoping for. LeBron is just an innocent (albeit Zillionaire) bystander

1 person likes this.
  2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I suggest you watch the baseline angle. Before James put his shoulder forward, Pietrus's foot got in under James's foot, starting a stumble. It was actually a trip, but James's foot blocks the view of that quick mis-step by Pietrus in the regular angle

3. lewzhy

lewzhy Member

well said,bro,i'm with you!

4. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

I didn't find the baseline angle on NBA.com It was definitely never shown on the TBS telecast. Where do I see it?

5. ebu

ebu Member

i like lebron better than kobe...

but kobe is a better closer

and lebron is a better team player

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I like watching LeBron play. He's a special talent... special enough that he can take a mediocre roster and consistently get them to the Finals or Conference Finals. Special enough that he can take that same roster and propel them through the regular season with the best record. Special enough that he can take an average coach and get him annointed Coach of the Year. Special enough that he can take a decent sidekick and make him an All-Star. He plays hard and he seems to be good with his teammates.

And of course he's cocky. He's been groomed for this since Jr. High. He was highly publicized his Sophomore and Junior years of High School, not to mention the circus that was his senior year. He's probably the best all around basketball player on the planet. All the great ones are cocky. (Even Dream was cocky in a subdued way.) But his cockiness is not particularly malevolent like Kobe. He still strikes me as a big kid playing a neighborhood game. And really, he's still a kid in many ways. (What kid doesn't dream of vast wealth?) He'll grow up a little over the next 5 years or so. Give him a chance.

No reason to hate the guy... though I am in agreement with the disgust expressed at the Stern marketing arm.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well put.

I don't hate Lebron, heck I don't even hate Kobe. I hate the media hype machine and I hate being force fed who I should root for and who I get to watch.

Personally I think anyone who was a Rockets fan back in 1995 should feel that way too. Remember how many Shaq and Penny commercials there were? Remember how many commentators pretty much ruled us out and spent their time hyping up Barkley, Duncan, Rodman, Shaq, and Penny. Remember how Bob Costas apologized to the Rockets? Remember how Sports Illustrated in 1994 didn't even publish a national cover edition of the Rockets championship?

Perhaps since I've spent most of my life rooting for the unsung underdog vs the glamour player I'm not about to buy into the hype machine.

1 person likes this.
  8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

just because they're being hyped shouldn't automatically mean: "If you (the fan) like them, you bought into the hype"

When you go against them purely because they're overhyped, then you're still allowing the media to dictate your actions..

2 people like this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

+1 greenie!

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lebron is great to watch and is a once in forever talent. He also seems like a nice guy. I do get tired of nothing but Lebron highlights on television but that does not make me dislike the man just the hype machine behind him.

11. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

I read in a magazine yesterday that LeBron hit 17 game winner since he came in the NBA .. now we can say 18 with the buzzer in game 2. So people saying he isn't clutch ..

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thanks for stating my point, just much more succinctly.

It's just like people who listen to obscure music just because it's obscure and then brag about it.

13. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

What I don't get more than Lebron hate is all the Kobe love, seriously don't see how anyone can root for him. He's such a douchebag. No one caught that interview after game 3 where he acted as if he couldn't breathe while doing the interview? :rolleyes:

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why on earth would he, of all people, pretend to be out of breath? It's Denver (high altitude), it was an tightly contested, up and down game that went down to the wire. And Kobe had to carry his team down the stretch. He had every reason to be exhausted.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i feel sorry for him. people actually think his teammates are that good. the sign of a good player is if you freakin' show up for the playoffs. mo will, Z, and others have gone rafer/luther head on him.

sucks when you're playing by yourself

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The hate is more the product of people rebelling against the 'hype'.

For some reason, people project this on the player. By directing their anger more at the product the League is pushing rather than the League itself, they are playing right into the NBA's hands.

What's most amusing, though, is when I see this 'anti-hype' angle come from Laker fans. lol I doubt most of them can see the irony.

I mean, hell Kobe has (had) the same type of hype, but he's an even more unlikable player.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

LeBron James is my favorite player in the NBA, so I'm biased, but what has he done to deserve scorn from fans?

He handles the media well, he's not a dirty player, and he builds up his teammates rather than tearing them down. Whining about his pre game introduction or flexing after monster slams is really nitpicking, if you ask me.

Think about it, if you were able to live out a dream of being a pro athlete, would you not have your own style of doing things?

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. Although I doubt a backlash is what the media dictates in the case of Lebron.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan was hyped too, and we all loved him growing up. But he had his critics too.

1. They said he couldn't play D.

He won DPOY the next year

2. They said he was just a scorer and couldn't pass.

He lead his team in assists the next year

3. They said he could never lead a team to a ring

We all know what happened.

What's annoying about Lebron is that no one seems to criticize him. He just has gotten awarded the crown. Sorry, what about Kobe? Doesn't he have something to say about being the best? Shouldn't L-bro have to take it away from the reigning greatest basketball player on earth currently?

I don't hate LeBron. I just don't love him either. His game isn't anywhere near Jordan's or Kobe's yet. He puts his head down and uses his strength to get to the basket. He doesn't shake n' bake like Hakeem. He doesn't double pump or bounce of of guys. there's no loop-de-loop. He doesn't even have the pizazz of a Dwight Howard dunk.

LeBron is a great player - but as we say last night, he has his flaws. He can hit the game winner, but he can also turn the ball over and shoot airballs at critical junctures.

He's over-hyped, and that sucks for him. But he still embraces it, so, i guess he can't complain. But it's be nice if people would just make him earn it like they did with other players.

I admit though, I do like watching him play.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What do you mean he was awarded the crown? What does that mean? There's still huge debate over which player is "better" in the media. Don't confuse all his MVP votes (totally deserved) with him being unanimously considered the best player in the league.