1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron and mav carter think race was factor in the summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by showtang043, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MD_in_Training

So, you're now basically embracing the argument that racism is only for the bad media, and all the love and adulation is just "b/c the NBA is predominantly black."

I don't know how you're supporting your conclusion when you disregard every other aspect that goes into popular perception and only focus on the race of the respective athletes. If Chad Johnson and Big Ben acted the same way before their infractions, then some kind of comparison can be made. When you lack all control variables, you are just coming up with pre-formed conclusions.

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

But you fail to see that people will move on, this hate because he took the easy way out will eventually fade. Look beyond the the present, its been seen time and time again that eventually people move on to the next thing. As long as he puts up great stats and wins the tide will turn to his favour. Look at the Michael Vick situation, he's already getting back into the good books of many, and he's only had a couple good games.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Money doesn't buy intelligence, either.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i gave my examples.

the coverage for kobe's ONE allegation v. big ben's TWO is just lopsided towards kobe. and it wasn't just ESPN. it was CNN, fox news... among other channels chiming in to knock on kobe (was he fake? and all that crap).

that's as close to a comparable act b/t players of different races as you can get.

5. MD_in_Training

I actually don't recall there being that great a difference between pre-rape Kobe/post-rape Kobe and pre-rape Ben/post-rape Ben. You can't just look at absolute coverage after the fact. You have to look at the how much media coverage they received beforehand in order to make a judgment on overall public perception.

So, do you have any objective data on how much coverage Kobe received before his rape accusation and how much he received afterwards compared with the same set of data for Big Ben?

6. MD_in_Training

Well, obviously people forget, but that doesn't mean he will be able to repair his image back to the original state. I mean, people are slowly forgetting 9/11, but does that mean it will ever stop becoming a watershed catastrophe in American history? No. Same with the Lebron situation. People may not write articles on how big of a "punk" he is, and there actually might be some pieces on his "redemption," but he will never live down the loss of his golden boy status.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I guess you might be right, his situation is quite unique so maybe he's an exception to the rule. Time will tell.

BTW Kobe had that golden boy image before his rape accusation, yet winning has brought much of his fan base back to him, we MIGHT see the same with Lebron. I don't know how much value people will place in Lebron winning the title as he;s got two top tier players playing beside him. If he gets out of this world stats then maybe people will give him credit and look beyond the anger of him taking the easy road.

8. showtang043

showtang043 Member

9. MD_in_Training

Kobe was the golden boy back in the day, but he certainly isn't that anymore. Even though he got people to forget and disregard his rape charges, his image is a far cry from the one he had in the past. Nike is really the only sponsor he has that actively advertises with him, because he is basically viewed as a sporting phenomenon - a representation of a single minded drive to win, a dictator of the ball on the court and a nearly mystified figure off it. You won't see any more scenes on TV with him playing hoops with kids or being the spokesperson for companies like McDonald's. In essence, he is something to be awed and gawked at, but he's not the role model you would want your kids to be.

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Bryant signed a seven-year, $136 million contract a year after the allegations, and regained several of his endorsements from Nike, Spalding, and Coca-Cola.[23] He remains married to his wife Vanessa Bryant, and was named the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2008 and the Finals' Most Valuable Player in 2009 and 2010

-- just a side note, Kobe seems to have gotten his main endorsements
    back.

Our conversation started with me saying Lebron's going to have fans back on his side. His image and fans admiration are two seperate issues. I'm with you on his image never being the same. But that doesn't mean fans won't let him back in their good books.

11. Koba

Koba Member

I absolutely do think race was a factor in this whole thing debacle. It's because Lebron is a human and not a cute cuddly puppy dog, isn't it?

12. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

If you know what salary cap is about, LeBron can't get the money Kobe gets, simply because he's not in the league for that long enough and his raise can't be that big.

Once he's changing team as FA, he's capped at 16.3M. It ended up as a trade so he could potentially get more, but that's only an afterthought. He took 2M paycut, but not more.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

a lot of the media already forgot the kobe incident, just some fans wants to say that, just to say something negative. (I dont like kobe at all, but I dont think he is a rapist, he cheated on his wife, but not a rapist) and now is the golden boy, making documentaries about his ethic and hard work in training.

With Michael Vick, they already forgot he was on jail and what he did in the past, now they all think he is a great player.

The have no white player in any league, preaching on how hard he works in training and in the offseason. They reported how he like to learn moves from the basketball legends.

and the league suspended Big Ben 4 games but legally he didnt got charged for anything, so why the media doesnt talk about it, because he didnt got any charge against him.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

15. showtang043

showtang043 Member

well with big ben and kobe, kobe was married with kids, in the end of the day, I personally don't think it was rape, but still adultery

I think you notice one thing with all of those guys on the list...not the black thing, that they are outspoken showoffs on the court...many just don't like that, and that added on with other mistakes gives people more fuel to hate.

I personally don't care, I respect kobe's approach and dedication to the game and I am a fan of his fire on the court. I think it happens when yu get consumed on the game

its different from Lebron who dances on the sideline in a blowout and then gets mad for noah while shooting freethrows bc he felt disrespected, are you kidding me? I think lebron is similar to a paris hilton on the league crying for attention and not wanting be held accountable when things go wrong, i've never heard of a guy tell fans he spoiled them. Can you imagine MJ, russell, or any greats who win a lot say ah i spoiled you guys with my play....this kid is a joke, and whatever deal he made with espn he has them in his pocket now defending his every move, sad to see

16. RyanB

RyanB Member

definitely i will never regret not being a Lebron James fan! :cool:

17. raspar

raspar Member

Here's the little secret about racism.

We minorities are the most racist people in America. The most racist experiences I have ever experienced have come at the hand of other minorities.

We are so racist that race is constantly at the forefront of our minds. Whenever we don't get our way, we immediately think that it's because of race and cry racism. We do this so we can bully others so we can get our way.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Worry not, within 20 years the minority will be the majority. Hispanics will be the new majority. That means white people can be openly racist once again! :)