1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron and mav carter think race was factor in the summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by showtang043, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

May I ask where you got your formal education? I mean, I see the point you're trying to make, but dude, come on...cheating his wife? raping on 2 girls? Come on, dawg.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

1) do you know how well-known brett farve and ben are? farve is one of the few NFL players who are recognized by his face. so trust me, they know him. and nobody gave a rat's ass b/c it was brett farve. if that was terrell owens or chad johnson, they would be criticized to death. that is undeniable. look, the media can make anything and everything out of nothing, esp. ESPN. terrell owens has been beaten to death by the media even for the smallest things. and yet we didn't hear much about farve not coming to training camp. and you mean to tell me terrell owens or chad johnson are more popular than farve?

2) ben plays for pittsburgh, one of the 3-4 well-known sports franchises in all of sports (cowboys, yanks, lakers). you mean to tell me ben isn't as popular as mike vick was when he was on the falcons? c'mon now. pittsburgh is constantly on national TV. hell, they have their own iphone app so teams can follow them.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/sports/vikings-4th-most-popular-nfl-team-sept-9-2010

and football is america's sport. so you mean to tell me people don't recognize that name? ESPN could have beaten this to death if they wanted to b/c it's NFL-related.

my point is when a famous white athlete and a famous black athlete both commit transgressions, the coverage for the black athlete is going to be more in-depth. that's what i've seen.

3. t_mac1

that was wack after i read it, but people are really in denial if they don't think race plays an issue (small or not) in this.

look, when ESPN and its media counterparts give more coverage to what chad johnson does for his TD celebration and killing him about i or making up mess about TO destroying the cowboys' locker room rather than destroying farve for his mess, it is what it is. and now the vikings are 1-2 and yet farve sucking isn't on the front page? c'mon now. it can only be so obvious.

and i live in SF where diversity is everything so i appreciate people of all colors.

#103 t_mac1, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  4. MD_in_Training

Way to highlight and respond to the least important part of my post, while ignoring the thesis.

We can go back and forth and argue the comparative popularity of Favre/Roethlisberger vs Lebron/Kobe, but it'd be largely fruitless. However, I really can't see how you can successfully argue that more people would recognize the name "Brett Favre" than "Kobe Bryant," but like I said, it's not important.

The more important issue is the fact I brought up earlier - the double standard in the use of racism as a wedge issue. It wasn't a problem when everyone loved you, but now that you pulled national sporting transgression, you're crying foul? How exactly does that work?

5. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Imagine Nash after winning MVP back to back, join Spurs, and have a one hour special to talk about "taking his talents to south beach", his Q rating won't be affected?

Joining another team as a FA is nothing wrong. Many players have done it. Shaq for example, joined Lakers after his rookie seasons in Orlando. Magic fans didn't like it, but Shaq's image was barely affected. Why didn't racism apply for Shaq?

LeBron was backlashed for 1. Joining an alpha dog to be a sidekick, most NBA legends took this as taking the easy way out. 2. "Decision" was disrespectful to former team and fans.

Had he been to Bulls or NYK in a quiet way, there won't be any issue at all.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Dont forget to add ...Big Rape won 2 Super Bowls.
    EVERYONE knows him.

7. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Ok people this is America and Lebron is young, rich, and black if you think race doesn't play any part in this you're kidding yourself. I'm not saying its plays a big part just a very small part.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What a freaking joke. I have gone from being on the fence about Lebron to being a hater. As someone of color, i always hate it when players bring up race to hide behind, instead of owning up to bad decisions. Lebron is a joke. Basketball is just a game. So sad this guy won't use his celebrity for anything other than his own self-interest.

btw: there's a great sportline article about this very subject:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14047127/lambasted-lebron-conveniently-sees-hurtful-role-of-race

9. t_mac1

uhh his decision raised $3 million for the boys and girls club. whose interest is that?

he sacrificed a few millions for a chance of winning.

and for your information, the REPORTER brought up the race card, not lebron.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

boys and girls club received 2.5 million

the hour long special earned about 6 million in ad revenue

though the other 3.5 million is claimed to have gone to other charities but i havent heard of any other charity stepping up saying they were benefactors
    and rumors are abound that the majority of the money generated by the special just ended up in LMLR's (or whatever their group is called) pockets.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/07/lebron_james_decision_generate.html

and even if the reporter brought up the race card lebron could have easily dismissed it and say it wasnt about race it was more about who I was etc etc. plenty of celebs/athletes have deflected the race issue when brought up.

11. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Damn this guy's image just keeps getting lower and lower. I am really losing a lot of respect for him. :(

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I have no idea who Roethlisberger is? I didn't know who Favre was until he was winning big (or close to big ... someone tell me when that was I have no idea). I knew who Kobe and Lebron were a year before they were drafted. Football doesn't rule everything yet ... I'm a basketball fan and could care less about football.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Don't know who Ben Roethlisberger is?

Goodness

14. yaonow

yaonow Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gGblNJ9ya8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gGblNJ9ya8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kPZsp6Levs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kPZsp6Levs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaOCCg8KN4g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaOCCg8KN4g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think these dunks are racist because no white people could do them

15. sew

sew Member

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/20...ldn’t-get-any-stupider-it-gets-more-stupid-”/

Barkley:

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Who kinda shares the same hate from an old team that LOVED their star? oh yea! Brett Favre, WAIT. Brett Favre is white? So i guess people who hate Brett Favre are racist too? whatever Lebron, your starting to become a premadonna.

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Michael Jordan retired and came back (like Favre), and does anybody said anything bad against for that? No, nobody cared, even when he came back for the playoffs in 95, and lost, they said he was rusty (which is not true btw) and nobody blamed the "rustiness" for not being in the training camp and almost the whole season.

Look the NBA, the top 5 best players are black, and everybody is praising them.

Kevin Durant is black, and all the people is praising him, you know why? because he is humble, modest and a great basketball player. Lebron is only a great basketball player.

and when other black people like Jordan, Barkley, Magic are saying his actions are bad, is that racism?

I know racism exists, but this is not the case with lebron.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Favre situation isn't a good comparison to the Lebron situation. Bret Favre stuck with the Packers all the way through his prime and won a super bowl with them. Second, when he left them it wasn't really by choice, they forced him out bc he took too long to make up his mind. Lebron on the other hand decided to leave by choice while still in his prime and before he won a ring.

Also, I personally hate the way Favre goes about coming back every year bc it seems like he is kinda feeding his ego but at the same time he does it for a reason. The reason he never commits early is bc he doesn't want to go through training camp and at the age of 40 I don't blame him. However, he can't skip training camp if he just comes out and says he is on the team early on so he drags it out and makes his announcement right when things are about to start up. With the consecutive start streak, the MVPs, and a ring, I think he has earned the right to be a bit of a diva even though I don't care for the way he goes about things. Favre has never been questioned for his toughness and determination on the field and the same can't be said about Lebron James. After all Favre has done he gets a pass. Trust me if Jordan did the same thing Favre did he would have taken the same amount of criticism as Favre and probably a whole lot less.

1. Lebron did do some good for a charity but that event was clearly for him and not for the kids. If that was for the boys and girls club he could have talked to some of those kids are done something else during that hour long show to promote the charity.

2. The taking less money argument is weak and kinda false. Florida doesn't have state income tax like Ohio so Lebron will actually end up making more money playing for the Heat than he would have by staying with the Cavs.

3. i agree with you on this one.

In conclusion Lebron wasn't being selfless when he made his decision but instead was just being the front runner that he has always been.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

We need some South Asians and Native Americans in the NBA so there is a chance for all of us to hate on each race.