1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron: 2012 U.S. team stacks up to Dream Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 4, 2012.

1. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The disparity in basketball I.Q. is staggering.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Which position is '08 stronger at? SF and that's about it.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nah, Tayshaun Prince played at SF in 08. The 2012 team will be superior in every way. Boozer, Redd and Kidd will also be gone.

4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Don't we want players to believe that their team can compete with the best?

Or do we just hate this quote because it's LeBron?

5. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

For instance, I don't hate that Amare Stoudemire says that wants to be the best player of all time. That's how an elite player should feel.

Just because I disagree with him doesn't mean that he's "everything that's wrong with the NBA" or that it makes it "hard to like him".

If LeBron feels like the 2012 squad could step on the court and beat the Dream Team, it's disrespectful? So he would have to go on the court believing that they would be dominated for you guys to be happy?

6. OkayAyeReloaded

Agreed. :)

7. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

TBH if those two teams played either other, the 12 team would get shut down. Scotty is the perfect Lebron defender. Long, faster and smart. Jordan destroys Wade/Kobe. Soft Bosh would get bullied by Barkley in the paint. No contest.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Laughable.

The Dream Team was stronger in the backcourt, the frontcourt and the bench. Overall, it was just as athletic too. The biggest difference is that the Dream Team was full of guys who had multiple Championships and who had to beat other teams made up of guys with multiple Championships to get them. Those guys were straight up killers. Lebron can't even win a ring in a side-kick role and Wade had to get the most favorable officiating of all time to get his ring against one of the softest teams to ever make an NBA Finals.

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Good luck with that Lebron...
    I'd genuinely surprised if 2012 team doesnt get blown out of the water by dream team.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No argument about Laettner, but you are missing the boat on Mullin.

Mullin wouldn't have much problem making the 2012 team. Dude killed it on that team, dropping threes from everywhere. During the Dream Team's run, he was the 4th leading scorer, shot .538 from the three point line, was one of five players to average in double figures (Jordan, Barkley, Malone, and Drexler) and had the 4th highest APG (behind Pippen, Magic, and Stockton).

There is nobody on the 2012 team that will come close to hitting over half of their threes. I'd also put his BBall IQ over the combination of any 5 of the 2012 team.

The thing about Mullin is that he was talented enough and knew enough about basketball to find a fit on that team. I see the 2012 as a collection of talent with no real fits between the pieces.

Also, put my vote in for the original. Not close.

Bosh and Love at PF? Maybe if Malone and Barkley were replaced by Michael Cage and A.C. Green. Malone in particular would make it his mission to make sure Blake got zero put-back dunks.

Dwight would be flustered and frustrated by the middle of the 1st Q. He's never had to face anyone like Ewing or Robinson while Ewing and Robinson would think Dwight was a breeze after going against Dream.

Small forward? Even Old Bird would mind@#*! Lebron starting with the pre-game warmups. Pippen and Mullin wouldn't let up.

SG? Kobe would want to prove he's as good as MJ and would totally wreck whatever team chemistry 2012 could have. MJ would want to prove he was better than Kobe and would do so by winning. When those guys sit, you have Wade and Drexler. Wade's quicker, Drexler's stronger. That would be fun to watch.

PG? Please. I like CP3's game, but he's no Magic. Deron isn't even the best PG to ever play for the Jazz.

The 2012 team would be reduced to 1-on-1 moves because the Dream Team would overplay the passing lanes and depend on their big men to cover any mistakes.