1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leadership from the players

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, May 31, 2012.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

"We got to start by getting to camp, getting everybody healthy from OTAs and getting them into training camp and from there, working toward a game. From that, we’ll be able to tell how really, really good we can be.”

.. If you read the above, you'd think it was from Kubiak or one his assistants...nope,..this was recently quoted from Daniel Manning, and while you don't want to read into things too much, I can't help but think this kind of statement is an example of buy-in and focus on the team concept.

To me, the path to leadership starts when you are focused on the team concept and you are in-sync with the teams' direction. You have Bradie James being considered like a player/coach from Wade himself...You have JJ Watt setting the example for high motor.

I know we lost 2 good players, but I can't help but feel the buy-in wasn't completely there...and no fault to those ex-players - the system no longer best fit what they offered...what did concern me MOST was the possible lost leadership,...but after thinking on it....maybe we gained in that area as well....

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you only talking about two players we lost on DEFENSE? :confused:

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I disagree with this. mario was playing phenomenally before he went down and I think he wouldda been very successful in the system. Demeco was not the player he used to be and I'm actually glad they decided to replace him, but I won't for one second believe he wasn't buying into the system or even that he didn't fit it. His skills have simply diminished a great deal.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It actually starts with the purchase of a cell phone and an affordable data/calling plan.

Damn you, DeMeco Ryans, for taking your contact list to Philadelphia!!

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Vocal leadership is overrated, and that's the main thing we lost with DeMeco and Winston.

As long as you have guys that are of good character and genuinely want to win (and hold themselves accountable for their role on the team), that's all that matters. You get enough of those kind of guys that are talented and the rest of the sheep will follow.

1 person likes this.
  6. ROXRAN

sure..But going to a 4-3 system was considered by many national sports media as Mario going into a system more suited to him...same thing with Ryans - The Philly paper mentioned something similar of Ryans...

To the guys credit, they never made issue of whether the new defensive system did not nurture to their skill set as well as a 4-3,...but I can't help but think it was in the back of their minds. If you are going to believe in a team concept, you have to feel 100% that it is ideal as well to your strengths or the buy-in will not be as real

Good you are so sure on your feelings, but if it was me and all others feel the 4-3 is better for my skills set, and I recall my pro bowl years being in the 4-3 then my mind will wonder ...it is human nature... as for diminshed skills, no one wants to admit to that

#6 ROXRAN, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. ROXRAN

thank you. you summarized it well

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think vocal leadership is very important in the NFL and others will need to fill the void. The defense will be fine in that regard but who on offense will take the reigns?

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

mario bought in so much he immediately asked buffalo to move him to his old college days dline spot.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good humor high energy guys like Barwin and Cushing are better for team building than someone who barks orders

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think there's some oversimplification going on regarding what Demeco brought to the table. Maybe Winston "barks orders" but I hardly think that describes Demeco or his role.

Yes Demeco fired up the D pregame. He was defensive captain for another consecutive year. He was also one of the older Texans on that side of the ball and everyone who was brought in to the team probably looked to him for some sort of guidance at some point(maybe not A. Smith). Just look at all the comments that came from his teammates when he was traded. He had a big locker room presence and despite his anti-awesome play early on, everyone in there believed he was coming back strong.

You combine that level of respect from his teammates, with the "vocals", and actual talent, then you've got a special player. He can lead by example, hold his teammates accountable on a more personal level, he can get the team to act as a cohesive unit (it just sucks that it was F.Bush on the other side of that mic).

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Expanding on my previous post, I think that vocal leadership is especially overrated on the offensive end. The defense can use it as fuel to get the adrenaline flowing, but an offense is better when it is focused and collected.

As long as everyone is confident in what they are doing on offense, and I have no doubt that this bunch is since they've been together for a while (for the most part), you don't necessarily need a rah-rah guy.

And btw Winston was not really a hype guy if that's what you're thinking. He was very outspoken with the media and no doubt respected on the o-line, but he wasn't a huge motivator of the offense.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. The rah-rah stuff is so overrated. Wasn't Ryans the guy firing up the defense in 2010 when we were one of the worst defenses in NFL history?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Apparently I missed out on this whole cell phone gag, anybody want to clue me in?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Demeco was hardly just a "fire the guys up" type player. He was/is a very smart player who made defensive calls and who everyone gravitated toward both on and off the field.

I really wish people would stop feeling the need to discredit Demeco and/or think that any comment made about the current players (James for example) is somehow a slap in the face to Ryans.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

agreed - but i haven't taken the coach speak as a shot against meco - more of a "we've got a guy that's been in the system for long enough to know the defense like the back of his hand"

meco was only in the system for a season.

personally, i thought his play improved tremendously over the course of the season and that he would be back to his old self this season.

I think he will do wonders for the slugs he's playing with and i've got much love. I also think James will do quite well for us in the role he is filling.