1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LCD 1080 Sony Bravia - standard channels are choppy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Dec 22, 2008.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Now i understand HDTV is make for high def. and standard channels will look better on a standard TV, I also have digital cable with comcast. The pictures come out real jaggy, like the AMC, Food, logos are jaggy, u can see the letters don't curve perfectly. Is there a certain setting that makes this better?

On the other hand, High def channels look spectacular though.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you can see the HD channels properly, but the SD channels don't look properly, your COMCAST connection sucks. :eek:

How's about you turn to the local broadcast with the rabbit ears and compare? Maybe it's just the cable signal.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

do you have the aspect in a weird "Stretch-O-Vision" mode?

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

sd channels are compressed and meant for displays of 480i I think. Thats a fraction of the pixel count of a 1080p set. So when a compressed 480 is stretched out to 1080 its gonna be a mess.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Standard channels just look like crap.

I try not to watch stuff on the lower channels on my cable. The digital channels look so much better, and then the HD. hmmmmm heaven.

6. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I have digital cable with comcast, but only the channels above 100 are digital. All channels below 100 are analog. So, SD on the analog channels is horrible. The SD channels that are actually digital are much better, although still pretty poor compared to HD. I'm in Pittsburgh, though. Not sure what the analog/digital situation is where you are.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What you do is go through the box via HDMI/component for HD, and go straight into the TV via coaxial for standard def. You let your TV handle the processing for SD not the box.

Test ASAP and thank me with something festive.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Wow does this really make that much of a difference? I don't even watch the SD channels unless it's like tonight where no one is carrying the rockets in HD. It's bothersome but I can live with it for nights like tonight.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It works HUGE. Depends on the box but if it looks that bad it will make a difference.

Split the coaxial at the back of the TV, have one cable going to the box, another going directly to the TV. Switch inputs when you want to view SD via TV remote.