1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Layover in Miami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jared Novak, Mar 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The wife and I are going to the Dominican Republic next month and will be laying over in Miami for around eight hours. Thats a good while to wait in the airport, so does anyone know if there is anything nearby (tourist spot, site, attraction) that we could go do to kill time. Is it even worth leaving the airport?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

8 hours in the Miami airport will be awful...it's a $hithole.

Someone help this man

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I have a similar layover in Miami tomorrow.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It's a straight shot on the Dolphin Expressway from MIA to South Beach so it's not complicated. Might be around 25 minutes I'm guessing, I've never made a direct trip between the 2 points. I'm not sure how much that will cost in cab fare.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I feel bad for you. Drink a Cortadito and just streak across the runway with a ClutchFans poster on your ass or something. Upload to Youtube and maybe we can get you on Tosh.0?

6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just rented a car for $12 for 8 hours. Will be hanging out on South Beach for the day.

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

MIA or FLL airport? Big difference

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I wouldn't bother leaving. Traffic is horrible there, and security can take forever. Just stay at the airport.

9. TISNF

TISNF Member

Well the airport is a little nicer since they've done some renovations (at least to the American terminal).

I'd think you may have enough time to either catch part of a ball game at the Marlins Park (depending on how long your layover is), or maybe even just get a ballpark tour (not too far from the airport). Not a whole lot around the stadium to see at the moment...you might be able to find a Cuban restaurant.

What might be more doable is taking a cab down to South Beach. If you arrive in Miami in the early afternoon, head straight to Joe's (you can eat at the take-away right next door during lunch hours; go for the large or jumbo claws).

If you're tight on cash, you can always grab a quality sandwich and smoothie at Le Sandwicherie on 14th street.

You'll have enough time to walk down Collins/Ocean drive and walk in the sand a bit; maybe grab a drink poolside at the Clevelander.

Now, if you're going to be at the beach in the DR, then you can scrap Miami Beach altogether -- but it's probably the most scenic part of Miami for just a few hours.

You could also check out Vizcaya (nice mansion that has tours) or Merrick Park (for upscale shopping), but you may want to avoid US1 if possible.