1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

malakas,

he had already had 2 DUIs. I did know yesterday that the odds were he would agree to a buyout. That was all before the DUI was reported today.

In fact, I put it here for you http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=267675

both in my signature and in my OP. I also let the cat out of the bag with one of my poster friends here. He didn't believe me either.

I did not know he was going to get a 3rd DUI. I've never claimed to know that ahead of time. I did know the trade market for him was non-existent yesterday and that a buyout was much more likely than a trade. That was all before the 3rd DUI, the 3rd DUI, the 3rd DUI. Got it? He has cratered his trade value totally with the 3rd DUI. He's a $25 million sinking cost and Denver doesn't have enough picks to send out with him to get rid of him. Does everybody realize there is a good chance Lawson goes to jail for several months?

Now I'm not sure a buyout is even possible. Lawson is in danger of having his contract voided at this point.

I think the odds actually favor him being handled similarly to what happened to Larry Sanders. There will most likely be closed door discussions back and forth between Denver, the NBA office, and Lawson's people until a buyout is reached in lieu of voiding his contract altogether and having the hassle of the player's association appealing and the case dragging out for years. He is most likely in violation of the moral turpitude clause in Paragraph 16 of the UPC. I think Denver and the League Office would agree on that. So, it's a matter of them reaching an agreeable buyout number with Lawson at this point.

Last night probably cost Lawson several million dollars. Before that he had decent enough leverage to get a buyout and sign a new deal without losing any money. Now that is virtually impossible. He probably lost several million dollars over the next 2 years because of that 3rd DUI arrest.

By the way, Larry Sanders....I told you about him when he signed his extension. But you weren't here to read it at that time. Here you go. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=243133&highlight=extension&page=4
    Please tell me you knew enough about Sanders to have serious doubts about that deal.

#461 basketballholic, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Mitch Lawrence
    5h5 hours ago
    Mitch Lawrence ‏@Mitch_Lawrence
    Denver Nuggets considering waiving Ty Lawson after latest DUI arrest, per #NBA sources. Lawson has two years, $25.6 mil left on contract.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vivid

Vivid Member

Getting a head-case malcontent that just picked up a 3rd DUI without "trading away assets" is not a win. You are paying Denver his full salary for a guy that didn't like Denver being a rebuilding project. Your strategy is to bring him to your rebuilding project?

Hinkie comes from the Morey school of team building, where you minimize risk to the big picture. This would be a horrible move for Philly. Best case scenario, they get marginally better, not quite making them a playoff team (at best a fringe one), and knocks them out of a another high lottery pick to rebuild with. Worst case, they add yet another 12 million (McGee) a year to the books for a player that won't contribute.

They lost Embiid for the year, Okafor is a rookie, and the rest of the team is still the same bad team from last year. At least it is a young and growing team. Guys like Lawson are the worst things for a team like this. He will be 30 by the time Okafor can join him in a bar! Not that he would stay anyways. He will collect his paychecks and pout like he has been doing with the Nuggets. You land the big fish (Rockets with Harden/Howard) or you keep rebuilding with high picks (OKC/GSW way). You don't spend 12 million on a guy that seems hellbent on a collision course with AA. I am not saying you are wrong, or that it can't happen... just that not only would it be very weird, it would be grade A ground-breaking self sabotage. I believe the fit is bad, particularly for these two parties.

4. malakas

malakas Member

really??
    So it's only black and white here? You can't respect someones opinions even if you disagree with them?
    If someone read some of his posts they would understand that the guy watches a lot of basketball and has good knowledge. He picks up strategies in game adjustments and little things that the casual fan does NOT.
    You can dismiss his sources or his far fetched trade scenarios but you can't outright ridicule his basketball knowledge.
    That's worse than being a redneck in my opinion.

5. teknokid

teknokid Member

Got set up!

6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The first time or the second time?

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Chill out. You get offended and confrontational real easily. It's just the internet. R-E-L-A-X.

8. basketballholic

Batman Jones is upset because I told him the truth about Terrence _ones. He's still on the Terrence bandwagon and thinks because he has lunches with Daryl that he knows how great a player Terrence is. All the way through that debacle I kept telling him how bad Terrence was. And it burnt him up. Instead of just saying, "I was wrong" and moving on, he chooses to try to punk me every chance he gets. LOL Doesn't work.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I could careless if he was a choirboy or a terrible person. If he can help us win and win a lot, that's all that matters. Lawson would put us right up there for favorites to win it all.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Why would philly get McGee who also was a malcontent bad paradigm for their other players a lazy dumb basketball player? Or Thomas Robinson?

It's not about wins. They will be the WORST team with Lawson or without him. But what you fail to understand is that they NEED a playmaking pointguard to develop their big men.

How can Cannaan or Wroten give the ball to Okafor in the post so he can do his post moves?
    Ι'm not upset at all. and please tell me where it was me who started being confrontational since I wasn't the one who called someone redneck for respecting another posters opinions??

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

How many DUIs does he have? Isn't there a set number where you can go to jail for that?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Please only post about basketball in the GARM, otherwise I will report your posts.

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

My god, it's a basketball forum. Why do you take things so seriously? I never even knew anonymous people on the internet can have egos before I read your posts.

14. basketballholic

If you believe.........

........you are Batman Jones.

:)

15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I have seen people with 4 or 5 and never spent more than a couple nights in jail, with a person of his wealth I would imagine he could do the same. Sad, but true.

16. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

You didn't mention waivers. But there would be barely any upside to that option. Especially with a young team, who wouldn't want their young players poisoned and who doesn't want to win.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If it's a trade, Papa + Tjones + Pablo + Dorsey will get us into the 125% range for Lawson. Throw in some sweeteners in picks.

Will they get a better deal for Lawson? Probably but not by much.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I think you are too close in the Terrence Jones situation to be objective atm.
    He's not as good as many expected but he's neither worth a second round pick as some including you seem to think. I am pretty sure that he could fetch a good haul from teams like Toronto and he will be the centerpiece of a point guard deal if Morrey wants to go even now in that direction.
    The truth often lies somewhere in the middle.
    And no need ot make things personal.

When I argue with people in this forum, it isn't personal for me. It's just basketball arguments. Everyone can be cool with each other after.
    And you know I disagree with you a LOT of times.

19. basketballholic

Seriously??? ROFLOL You're hilarous. I very rarely respond to any personal attacks. You're hilarious.

Yes, it's a basketball forum. Let's talk basketball.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Yo pm me I think we have the same source