1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Definitely don't want him now. Sigh. 1 DUI can be excused as just a stupid decision, but a 2nd DUI in the same year?! that's a mental health problem. He'll probably suspended to start the season.

RICKY RUBIO COME ON DOWN!

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Certain people here would condone trading for Rubio and his $55M guaranteed, but HELL NAW to a buy low proposition like the one you're suggesting.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just not sure I agree with the assumption that the Nuggets would buy Lawson out. Certainly they could get something for him in trade rather than just eating 25 mil. Also, I like taking a risk on Lawson and his 25 mil turning his life around A LOT better than spending a dime on Rubio.

4. basketballholic

Lay out the trade. Name the team and the salaries they would trade for Lawson.

By the way, Bobby. I really appreciate discussing basketball with you. You are one of the few posters that even if you disagree with me you stay civil and on-topic. I appreciate that. And I appreciate your basketball acumen. You know the game. I can tell from reading your posts.

I'm not trying to corner you here or make you look bad. Hope you understand that. Just trying to get you to see the possibility here of us being able to get Lawson here on a low $$ contract with little to no risk, in an obvious career turn-around situation without giving up anything for him and still having our non-guaranteeds and other assets to do another deal.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Jesus. You didn't have a clue he would get a DUI. Before that, he was worth the risk in a trade. Sure, now, I might just play hardball and wait for a buy out.

As a player, he is most definitely worth his salary. No doubt at all.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Detroit needs a PG right? They could have Lawson for Brandon Jennings straight up. It saves Denver almost 4 mil in cap space immediately and Jennings' deal is expiring. That's just off the top of my head.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Remember the last nutcase we traded for?

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hb9CWnqaASQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. basketballholic

No I didn't have a clue he would get his 3rd DUI. But I knew he had already had 2 DUIs. And I also knew other stuff.

Lawson's 3rd DUI didn't change his trade/asset value much to the Rockets. The only thing his 3rd DUI did was even further cement his limited trade value around the league and perhaps make him a cheaper buyout signing than the full MLE.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Not really, Detroit just gave an $80 million contract to Reggie Jackson. And Jennings is arguably the better player anyway.

10. basketballholic

No. They re-signed Reggie Jackson to a max deal. They're trying to move Jennings out for nothing. Because his $8 million is dead weight to them at this point.

They'e also got Spencer Dinwiddie, a second year point guard with great potential (I'd love to trade for him).

Besides...coming off the Josh Smith debacle......Stan Van Gundy all business....no way Jose.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah I forgot about the deal they gave Jackson. Either way, it was just off the top of my head.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Can we please go get Brandon Jennings??

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Artest worked on and completely changed his image. He was living his new public identity several years in before the Rockets traded for him.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No. That's an awful idea.

15. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

In before the breaking news.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't the 76ers just absorb Lawson's contract into cap space? Last I checked (which was admittedly a while ago) they had a ton of space and I not much of a PG.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont know anything about Lawson off the court or if a new change of scenery will help the guy. Winning does cure a lot. He would be an amazing addition to the bench if all it takes is Kpap's contract and filler -- his value is at an all time low and there aren't many teams out there needing a PG

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

The Sixers are tanking again.

19. basketballholic

Why would we do that at this point when there's so many other possibilities? We'll be able to trade for Jennings (if we actually want him) in early October before Kostas' contract becomes guaranteed. And that's overpaying for him. Jennings is another buyout candidate because he has negative trade value.

20. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

I vote for Ricky Rubio if we can get him, but Ty lawson is not bad too even with the DUI...like someone else mentioned we can get John Lucas mentor him here.