1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maybe Rubio voted for Romney?

2. basketballholic

What was Josh Smith worth last year in salary after he was released in Detroit?

Has anybody offered Smith big money this summer?

Circumstances alter value. Remember that.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Why ya gotta fight

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's true. Two guys aren't going to beat a team that can put 5 players on the floor at a time, no matter how good Harden is. Fortunately, we have 3 other starters and over a half-dozen more guys on the bench.

Geez, after reading the changes, even I want a refund. Replaced Ty Lawson with Jimmer Fredette? Wtfits?

5. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Can't we all just get along!?!

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rodney? Is that you?

"Hi. I'm Rodney King."

"And I'm Reginald Denny. Remember..."

(Both, in unison) "Stay in your car!"

7. malakas

malakas Member

this guy is really an a$$hole. Why he can't go to his own camp now?

btw why you even have to respond to bballholic's wild claims. I think he just makes them to attract responses.

8. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

He seems a total douche-bag considering the whole league hates us he would fit in just fine.

On the other hand I am not sure i want him because he seems to be a real selfish guy.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Comparing TY Lawson in Denver to Josh Smith in Detroit is simply not a proper comparison.

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think harden and Lawson could feed off each other

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Because he really really really wants to be traded.

12. malakas

malakas Member

right. So he can't go to his own camp before he even knows IF he is going to get traded? Letting down the kids who look up to him and paid money to go meet him. It's only 3 days camp not one month.

13. basketballholic

1. Both guys paid big money and owed multiple years.

2. Both guys not cooperating and hurting the team on-court.

3. Both guys with well-established attitude issues.

4. Both guys with little to no trade market.

Detroit could not find a decent trade for Smith. They couldn't even find a trade to unload his salary. Because if they could've simply given him away for expirings they'd have done that over waiving and stretching him.

Obviously, Denver cannot find a viable trade for Lawson. Most every team has a starting point guard they are happy with and they aren't willing to trade any kind of viable trade assets for a guy that is owed money through next season. That leaves teams with cap space to swallow him into cap space, like the Sixers. Teams like that don't want him either. They don't want him on the books in 2016-17 and they don't want him around their youngster ballers on rookie contracts. Lawson's trade market is probably the Knicks (maybe) and possibly us (if he agrees to make his last season non-guaranteed and turns himself into basically an expiring contract.

Lawson wants out of there and Denver wants him gone before training camp. Tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock.

Why is it not a good comparison?

#193 basketballholic, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

We don't always see eye to eye but it is an exceptional comparison. Like you said, in a lot of ways to trade for Lawson makes too much sense, but it's probably that salary that's holding Morey back. I think if he was making $8-9 mill a year we would be all over it. Unless Denver offload him it's unlikely he comes here, took me a while to come around but you are making a lot of sense. Repped.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm starting to think (hope) that maybe Denver is demanding DMo and Morey is offering Jones and the Nugz are hopelessly peddling Lawson around to the rest of the league.

16. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^^
    Totally plausible if you know the Denver FO MO.

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This is a very talented player. He can do a lot of things this team needs. He's unselfish. He can get the ball to Dwight, Beard, D-Mo, Ariza for open shots. Look at his assists to turnovers. He doesn't turn the ball over much, and he hits his free throws. When Harden finds him, he can hit the three-pointer. He's good for the inside-outside game. If the team really wants to take it to the next level, taking a chance on this guy is a good idea. I kind of suspect they won't, with Beverly already signed and Lawson's salary prohibitive. But if they could get him in a Rockets uniform, he could move the needle.

18. basketballholic

Why sure Denver is demanding DMo. They're actually demanding Dmo, Dekker, Capela, Harrell, and McDaniels. Oh, and 2 first rounders too.

But that ain't goin nowhere. So they quit demanding. Now they're begging for one decent asset in return for Lawson and that hasn't happened either.

Look at the trade market. Everybody and their brother's got a point guard.

Seriously, go through all 30 teams and figure out what teams would POSSIBLY even be interested in trading for Lawson. And then after you narrow down the list, figure out what they would be willing to offer for Lawson.

Here you go:

Atlanta-no (Teague and Schroder, you kidding me?)
    Boston-no (they've got guards running out their ears)
    Brooklyn - let's give them a maybe
    Charlotte - no
    Chicago-no
    Cleveland-no
    Dallas-no
    Detroit-no
    Golden State-no
    Houston- Ok, just for kicks, let's say we're interested
    Indiana-no
    LA Clippers-no
    LA Lakers-let's throw them in as a possibility
    Memphis-no
    Miami-no
    Milwaukee-no
    Minnesota-no
    New Orleans-no
    New York-let's assume they're interested
    OKC-no
    Orlando-no
    Philadelphia-no
    Phoenix-no
    Portland-no
    Sacramento-no
    San Antonio-no
    Toronto-no
    Utah-no
    Washington-no

So, we've got Brooklyn, Houston, Lakers, and the Knicks as possible destinations for Lawson.

Now, if you think I'm off and one of these teams I said isn't interested above would be interested in Lawson, you can state your case. Good luck.

So, let's look at Brooklyn, Houston, Lakers, Knicks and see what they would be willing to trade for Lawson.

Brooklyn - they're above the cap so you'll need $9.84 million outgoing salaries to get a deal done. And ideally Brooklyn is looking to shed salaries. So, most likely they're gonna wanna ship Denver more salary than the $12.4 million Lawson makes.

So, looking at their roster here's what you can come up with:

Jarrett Jack, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Sergey Karasev
    That's one combo that's enough salary to get it done. Do you think Brooklyn gives up those youngsters for Lawson?? Where does Lawson take them?? Playoffs? Championship??

Or you could go Lawson and Faried for Joe Johnson's expiring deal. Maybe Lawson and Gallinari for Joe Johnson??? Does that do anything for Denver?? Does it do anything for Brooklyn? Do you really think Brooklyn is gonna throw in a first rounder on a deal like that??

Brooklyn is unrealistic.

So, let's move forward to the Lakers. What they got? They need $8.2 million in outgoing salary for Lawson. Welp....Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, Robert Sacre.....wonder if that lights Denver's whistle????? You think Lakers are gonna chuck a pick at Denver for Lawson?? (Look, I'm really stretching here. Lakers have Russell, Clarkson, and Kobe.) Lakers are totally unrealistic.

So, let's look at the Knicks. Here's the glory pile they bring to the table:
    Jose Calderon, Ricky Ledo, other trash. Do you think the Knicks are gonna chuck a first rounder at Denver for Lawson???? Unrealistic

Now, let's look in on the Rockets.

But before that let's look at the Nuggets. They're not a playoff team. They want Lawson gone. They DO NOT want Lawson in the locker room and on-court around Mudiay. They're rebuilding. They want Lawson gone before training camp.

Now....back to Houston. Imagine this scene: Daryl, Gerson, and Tad all sitting in their offices playing a game on their computers. The winner is the guy that figures out the most assets that they can possibly pack into a Lawson trade because they're desperate for a point guard. Morey is sitting in his office shak, shak, shaking because he knows he's got to get Denver to say yes. So, they're throwing in picks, second rounders, Dekker, DMo, everything but the kitchen sink. Right????? No. Once again, unrealistic.

Morey knows Lawson has to leave Denver. And he knows the trade market for Lawson is virtually non-existent. It's not a question of can he trade for Lawson. He can probably trade Kostas/Pablo/Dorsey/Johnson for Lawson and Denver might even throw in a second to get Lawson out of town. The question is how little can he give up for Lawson?

And that question only comes up if Morey actually even wants Lawson.

1 person likes this.
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree with this ^

We don't HAVE to have Lawson by any means so this would be a good gamble by DM to wait this out more. If another team overpays for his services then so be it (but it won't be the Rockets doing that)

I am happy with Thornton as our addition while bringing back the crew for another chance of having a full year + off and pre season to gel together from day 1 and hopefully stay as injury free as possible. Rockets could win a franchise record 60 games next year with this core group (Smith included) if healthy.

I do feel that Lawson may not add that much regular season wins to this team but would could make a difference in a playoff game or two to help win a series.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Ugh, lumping Plowman and Codman in with jopat? Poor take.