1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson: Team would run different defensive call than what coach instructed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It isnt unheard of and happens quite often.

No 5 guys are not running a different set, but if Harden or Lawson or Howard tells Ariza or Bev or someone else to switch when they are not supposed to, that causes the entire defense to be off and not function properly. It also puts the role player in a weird situation, he switches and defies the coach or he doesn't switch and upsets Harden/Howard and causes a wide open shot.

The hope is that by year three this group would have bought in, but obviously one or more star hasn't.

I don't think it is just blown assignments, it is a select player or two that knows they can free lance and get away with it. Harden is stubborn as a mule and overly proud.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You don't remember when Harden told Parsons and Beverley to switch on the infamous play that ended the Portland series?

It's Harden changing the plays without a doubt.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

As much as I'm for players calling out each other ... I don't think they should do so publicly , even though no names were named . Lawson is also the last guy that should be saying anything given how much ass he has sucked .

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you mean switch on who was covering whom?

I don't think I logged into Clutchfans for a week or so after that game. Was that a big discussion with quotes?

Here's a long discussion on SBNation about the play, including the moment Parsons and Bev switch. The writer assumes that was the plan, as it put Bev in a better position to switch on the play.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/5/8/56...er-analysis-rockets-blazers-nba-playoffs-2014

#104 heypartner, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That might be why he said something...if he's caught up between listening to James vs the staff, then it's going to affect his play and focus.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Sweet so they are all still friends. Doesn't mean jack. Lawson pretty clearly states they don't respect McHale. Will this team even get 45 wins?

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Contrary to most CF members I'm not placing much blame on James . The only games we've won are the ones in which he has carried us . His role has changed too because of trying to integrate Lawson . The defense and offense are team issues . Sure individual effort can make things slightly better , but it's clear we just don't have a clue what we are doing right now . This start is on everyone : coaches and players .

Listening to James isn't causing Lawson to make turnovers like he's never played in the nba before . Even terry a vet of 18 years made stupid lazy passes last game . The focus just isn't there , our team needs to take a few deep breaths and play with energy and more importantly mental energy.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I wonder why the players aren't listening to the coach...

1 person likes this.
  9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The big mistake was, Parsons wasn't ready, when Lillard took off, and then he took a bad angle, as if he was playing a drive , not a three point shot. That, along with Mo Williams holding him, was what caused enough separation for Lillard to get the shot off.

And it was actually an example of a player waiving off the coach and making a good play lol

It also seems like Parsons thought Harden told him to switch because that was the plan, when it was just a tweak for him him and Bev specifically. Maybe it's this confusion that held up Parsons.

I agree with JB...Harden shouldn't have done that, so maybe you blame Harden for causing confusion and distracting CP...but i think the whole positioning was wrong anyway.

#109 RV6, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah. It was supposed to be Beverley on Lillard but before the play Harden told them to switch. I think Harden thought there was going to be a pick on the play so Beverley was going to switch onto Lillard. Lillard heard the conversation, went rouge, and broke off the initial inbound play and just called for the ball.

Batum during post game said he was mad at Lillard for breaking off the play since it wasn't the play but passed to him anyway.

Harden changed the assignment when he wasn't supposed to. Mchale and Parsons came out and said those weren't the assignments discussed in the huddle.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Great explanation! I turned off the TV, went to bed, and cried into my pillow after the shot and only pieced together what happened in the years after. This is the first time I read the full account of the horrifying ordeal.

All I know is Harden changed the play. You can speculate that Chandler wasn't ready because that wasn't the freaking play and was unsure. Do as you're told, James.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Harden doesn't respect mchale.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey said coach was not that important.

Players also clearly know McHale has no offense/defense scheme but shouting play harder.

Lawson didn't know this. After half season, he will get it.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thanks RV6 and DreamShook for the quotes and explanation. I don't think I logged into CFans for over two weeks after that, so never got or cared for the follow-up to what happened.

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

THIS. I have a hunch that Harden is to blame here and I'm just basing this off his actions on the court and his apathetic responses in interviews. Harden made the call on the fly to have Beverley and Parsons switch on Lillard. Harden always needlessly forces switches when he is getting screened, which most times completely screws everyone over causing mismatches everywhere. McHales comment about playing with/without agendas I think is an allusion to Harden. I fear that despite saying all the right things he does out himself above the team in certain instances. I think he is psyching himself at this point about not gettingthe MVP last year and he is forcing it too much this year, costing the team in the process.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Great job, McHale.

17. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I agree. This team definitely lacks leadership, from the top on down.

Hopefully, he will eventually fill that role. Calling a players only meeting is a great start. Especially, when it's coming from one of the newest members of the team.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The last player who called out Harden at a players' only meeting was traded a few weeks later. Still remember--yes, Patrick Patterson.

Of course, Morey had different reasons for trading him. But yeah, that first year with Harden wasn't so smooth. Ball would get sticky with him, while the others were trying to move the ball, as the coaches instructed.

So four years later, coaches still haven't solved Harden's sticky fingers.

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Rockets organization want to win championship with this scheme???

LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLL

20. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I remember when talking about Larry Bird, one time the team was playing like crap so Bird decide to play solo, and start to take all the shots, at half time when players asked him about that, he said, today you not ready to play, but I am so unless you start playing like you should, I going to take every shot. That's leadership.

We need some leadership here, a coach in the field, who make teammates accountable.