1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawn mower recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Jan 21, 2016.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

How long does the battery last? I have about a 10,000 square foot lot and that requires a lot of weed eating and edging (takes like 45 minutes to an hour sometimes to edge & weed). I hate gas powered weed eaters (hate the mixing and haven't had good luck with them) and so i have this corded one with a 100 foot 12 gauge electric cord:

https://www.greenworkstools.com/10-18inch-corded-string-trimmer

Has lasted me 3 years and no trouble yet. I just get tired of dealing with the cord sometimes

As for lawn mower, i have this space saving Toro mower that can stand vertically in the garage when i put it away. Absolutely love it

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/w...ariable-speed-high-wheel-with-smartstow-20339
    [​IMG]

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My lawn died so this is all moot.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Lucky you.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well my neighbors have great lawns, so I have to do something about it at some point.

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

I know 2 people that have them and they both say you really have to stay on top of your yard. It does not work well with big grass.

I have a ego weed eater and love it

NewRoxFan likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks. I suspect that a gas powered mower will have more torque to power through tall/wet grass than an electric mower. But to be fair, if I leave skip mowing for a week during summer my Honda-powered mower begins to struggle, so staying on top of the yard will likely be the same requirement.

Hoping the lighter weight and easier starting/running of a non-gas mower will make having to mow every week a bit easier.

7. NewRoxFan

How well does the self-propelled work? On my Honda/Craftsman mower I routinely have to replace the drivewheels since the plastic "gear" portion wears down. Wish they'd press in a metal gear on both wheel and drive (motor) side.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fyi, battery powered mowers are much lighter than gas powered ones. You might not need a self-propelled one.

I transitioned to all battery powered things about a year ago. But my collection is a hodge-podge because I only bought things when they went on some crazy sale. Echo mower, EGO weed eater and blower, Kobalt attachment-capable weed eater for edging and anything else that comes up (have a corner lot so an edger is nice to have).

My mower is very light. Not self propelled but so easy to push that it doesn't matter.

#48 Haymitch, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    NewRoxFan likes this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Hasn't failed me in 3 years. The self-propel also works when the rotor isn't spinning. These have a pretty good warranty, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

I wouldn't worry about the mower not keeping up, either. It does fine. The 21" SP has a variable speed 1000W motor that'll ramp up when the mower feels bogged down. The older 20" versions are around 600-800W I think. As long as you sharpen your blade twice a season, you'll be fine. I use a dremel attachment for that and it takes me 5 minutes.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Bought a Honda HRR216 last summer for my 2000 sq ft lawn and it's been great. Excellent cut quality, not too heavy and maneuvers easily compared to the old Craftsman I was using.

I'm a member of the Lawn Care Nut forum on FB (derived from the YouTube channel) and Honda HRR/HRX and Toro Timemaster/Super Recycler/Recycler are the consensus best mowers. Ego seems to be in a class of it's own for battery powered but I'd be really hesitant for St. Augustine grass. Any others and it's probably fine.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont know I just pay some kid to do it. Hey can anyone make me a burger?

kgw and donkeypunch like this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

13. Buck Turgidson

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Buy whatever the ads you see on CFS tell you now.

BamBam likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Thanks... I bought the Ego mower (Home Depot, $499 with a $5 coupon). Used it this weekend. The mow was good... I do need to get familiar with the drive control to turn the drive off to reverse direction and to avoid ramming trees. Love how it stores upright and the battery charge time (though my front and back yards didn't use the full battery). If my Echo string trimmer ever dies I will get the Ego string trimmer.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm in the market.

It has these quick release cheap ass plastic handle adjustment hinges (grey) that couldn't even handle my 130 lb son pushing down on the handle when he needed to, and one of the locking mechanisms broke. Went back to the store in a week.

I don't think electric is where it's at yet. I want a mower that will last 10 years, and that I don't have to buy batteries for it every 2-3 years. I have three sons and they will all be mowing my lawn for the next 15+ years so I'm not terribly worried about comfort or frills. I'll occasionally use it to shred branches I cut down by running over them (so satisfying).

I just need power and reliability. What do I get, clutchbros?

17. NewRoxFan

I'd have recommended the Honda, but if its not cutting it, perhaps the one a guy with a lawn mower youtube likes the best:

[​IMG]

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/timemaster-21199

Here's his youtube channel (pretty funny): https://www.youtube.com/user/LawnCareMidwest

18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Just buy a cheap one at Walmart and use it until it doesn’t run anymore. That’s what I’ve always done. They last for a while. No need to spend big bucks on one unless you are mowing more than the average person.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I have that Honda. I've mowed pretty tall grass and it's never stalled on me, but I usually bag when it's that tall. Alternatively you could turn it on the bag setting but leave the bag off so that it discharges out the back -- it's going to be hard to find a mower that's not 2 or 3 times the price that does better in thick St. Augustine grass. But if you want to spend more look at the Honda HRX, Toro Super Recycler or Timemaster.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Same. I don't bag and cut 6 week old growth no problem. Of course i don't use the entire cutting surface when its too tall, I use half and the mower has been doing fine over 5 years.