1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Law Enforcement Morale

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Nov 30, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Had another stupid ass argument with the arrogant @Sweet Lou 4 2 in the thread about the smash and grabs in another instance where Sweet is telling me what I was thinking when I posted about law enforcement morale so I'm making this thread.

Also I've seen a few news reports on this so it deserves it's own thread. The criticism of law enforcement across the country being racist is having real affects. https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/1009...t-scrutiny-are-driving-them-away-from-the-job

George Floyd incidents are very rare. I personally would argue a lot of police shootings are justified like Ferguson. Regardless if you believe all the headline making incidents in the last ten years are police abuse, they still are very rare incidents given how many times police encounter black suspects in particular.

The media needs to lay off and take each incident as it's own and not a large connected law enforcement problem. It's hard to make limited educated avg Americans understand numbers so the media needs to be honest and responsible. Police encounter blacks at an alarming rate compared to everyone else so incidents like George Floyd are rare and there is not a law enforcement problem with race.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

“not a problem with race”

lol…joke premise and joke thread

u try way too hard

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One thing I've seen popular reporters on major media start saying in interviews with random blacks is I didn't understand what go through as a black (man mostly) with police.

They have accepted the claim that law enforcement is inherently racist. That is unfair

tinman likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But you responded

tinman likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade since you like all pgabriel retorts and @Reeko

Do you deny blacks encounter police in negative situations much more than other races?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I foolishly thought u might have something of sense to say, but u don’t

you’re probably some white guy pretending to be black online so u can peddle these dumbass talking points as a “black man”

Rocket River likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@pgabriel You keep saying this is about police not wanting to be called racist but that's not what this is about. Then you claim that you never mentioned race.

Then you get upset with me and throw a tantrum.

WTF is your deal?

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you deny that Russian trolls pretending to be posters from yesteryear have a tougher time finding others to engage in actual debate and discussion than other bbs posters?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade you don't even know what he's talking about yet you liked the post. Relax

What are you talking about? If you're talking about the smash and grabs I'm going to tell you again I don't care about them. I'm talking about law enforcement morale. I wasn't agreeing with him that the smash and grabs are possible because of police morale.

tinman likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So you couldn't answer but had to still run your mouth. When you call me a Russian troll I know you are frustrated because you can't counter my argument

tinman likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From talking to LEO I know first hand there is a big problem with LE morale that has really nosedived the last couple of years. Yes, also the vast majority of LEO civilian encounters are peaceful and yes only a very small amount of LEO are like Derek Chauvin. I can agree that it is a problem for most of society to consider LEO as the enemy or to generalize LE as being inherently racist, corrupt, violent, and incompetent. The problem though is that there it only takes a few LEO and a few incidences to justify and strengthen that impression.

Further the lack of accountability and the "Blue Culture" has made too many PD's insular with a focus more on protecting their own than addressing problems head on. That even now we see LEO very unwilling to break the Blue Wall of Silence and prosecutors unwilling to even investigate potential LE wrongdoing feeds the divide between the LE and the public that they are sworn to protect. Remember in May of 2020 the first official statement out of MPD about George Floyd was that a suspect had a medical emergency..

From the civilian standpoint we should understand how difficult the job is that LEO have and in general we should treat them with respect. We should also expect that they are held accountable when they do wrong, will carry out their jobs professionally and are more interested in protecting the public than in protecting their own. Accountability rather than making their jobs harder but having the trust of the public will make things easier.

Nook, Invisible Fan and Rashmon like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is not blue wall problem per say in most of the high profile cases in the last ten years. A lot of these incidents have been captured on video so a blue wall can't protect them. The incidents have been visual and juries have made their judgements

tinman likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is still a blue wall. It's harder to maintain now that there is so much cell phone video. The MPD wouldn't have released the statement they did about George Floyd if they weren't interested in protecting their officers. It was only after the cell phone video came out that they changed their story. Also note that the Derek Chauvin trial was very unusual for having many LEO testify against another LEO. I'm not aware of another case that that has happened.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Regardless, I'm not picking on @Sweet Lou 4 2 but a past argument that we had demonstrates the issue. He made a claim that he saw studies that there is institutional racism in police departments. I challenged him to show those studies and he couldn't

Despite my issues with him I think he really thought he saw studies saying that. Again look at what I said about interviews where media accepts that black men are all unfairly treated by police. It's become an accepted fact instead of an accusation

tinman likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Before wokeness the media began to ignore that young black males have an alarming crime rate compared to other groups particularly with murder. Blacks commit more total murders annually. Total not percentage adjusted.

It's not fair or more importantly completely informative and completeto ignore this when talking law enforcement and race.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2.

I've had arguments on Facebook where educated just refuse to believe these statistics are honest

Astrodome and tinman like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

For black posters who think I'm railing on blacks and being Uncle Tom like, inner city problems until we are honest about them

tinman likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is false. You should reread that thread

If you need to see studies, you can enter this into google, "institutional racism in police departments"

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What I wrote isn't false. You said you posted these studies in other threads. That was a straight up lie. I see some studies about institutional racism in law enforcement and focus on mainly traffic stops and searches.

Even conceding that blacks are stopped more that doesn't explain why blacks are overly represented in actual convictions
    So I will concede that police are more suspicious of blacks. While that maybe a problem that should be fixed that it isn't the reason blacks end up in prison more for violent crime.

Police unfair suspicion don't lead to brutality and don't make young black men go to prison. It's upsetting to be unfairly profiled but it isn't the reason the actual criminals are criminals

tinman likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

#19 adoo, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ok I will concede that profiling is a law enforcement problem. Its a minor problem in overall issue of crime in America. Again police kill twice as whites than blacks annually. You don't hear about anywhere
    near the number of police killings with either race (about 150 annually with blacks) as national stories because most are justified.

I know the numbers aren't proportional when factoring population but what you have to factor is how many timespolice encounter suspects of each race. They encounter black men a lot more.

Regardless George Floyd doesn't reflect all of law enforcement. Unfair traffic stops and George Floyd are separate issues and the media shouldn't conflate them.

tinman likes this.