1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Law and order teen charged with murder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 26, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep.. No matter what happens with the election or COVID things could get very bad next year. I know when the Chauvin trial starts I'm going to be very on guard here in Minneapolis.

King1, Corrosion, fchowd0311 and 3 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I had some Minnesota friends over last night for a backyard BBQ and they were shocked when I said that I think racism is worse here in the Midwest than it is in the South. I think in the South people were forced to address and deal with it openly while in places like Minnesota it was kept quiet and was forcefully addressed. While Houston was a segregated city legally Minneapolis was just as segregated and even now is way less racially diverse than Houston.

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I agree with this, I was stationed near Omaha for 6 years in the late 90s-00s...and there's just a different feel to the Midwest than there is in the South. Racism is much more out in the open down South, but its kind of an expectation that people have gotten around and started to move forward with. In the MidWest, they aren't moving forward...instead clinging to the hope that they can maintain the same life they've lived for decades.

I saw more racism in Nebraska than I ever saw in Houston, San Antonio, or the South (and I lived in Panama City, Florida...otherwise known as lower Alabama for 3 and a half years as well). Black and Hispanic Airmen had tons of problems up there.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

One of the places I've really felt racial animus towards me to the point that I was looking over my shoulder was in rural Indiana..

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly, I completely agree. Also in the Midwest there are a lot of isolated towns that have almost no diversity, and typically are controlled by essentially "legacy leaders". The Judges and police and others are family members of others that held the same positions. I was driving through Southern Illinois and there was what I assume was either a warehouse business or a business that at a minimum required box trucks to drop stuff off. On the side of the plane older building was a homemade sign saying that homosexuality and interracial relationships were against God's will and not supported in that town.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

In my experience this is true. I think that the level of ambient racism in the Midwest and Northeast is actually a lot higher than the South. You're way more likely to find violent or extreme racists in the South, no doubt, but you're way more likely to have your resume shredded or have some lady clutch her purse around you as a minority in the North.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Rural Indiana is bad. I will tell you that my observations are that there are parts of Illinois that are worse.... Also have seen it really bad in parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania. Wisconsin can be bad at times as well.

I have never seen anything like rural Illinois though. There are entire fairly large towns that have 3-4 minorities in them (other than hispanics). You have many generations of farmers, farm workers and former "company town" employees that now are stuck that tend to blame all their problems on minorities and modern society.

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've never spent any time in rural IL. I've only been to Chicagoland and the only rural parts of IL I've seen are just on the way from MN to Chicago.
    I'll keep this in mind if I ever have to go to rural IL.

One thing I've noticed about rural MN is that there the anti-immigrant feeling is very strong. Like many parts of the US there are parts of rural MN that are getting more Hispanic especially in Southern MN where there are a lot of meat packing plants. That has been causing tension with long time residents.

There is real fear and paranoia regarding Muslim immigrants especially in Central and Northern MN. With so many Somalis in the Twin Cities and with the election of Ilhan Omar has ratcheted it up. There is a reason why Michelle Bachmann spoke so much about Sharia law and Muslim no go zones is that many in her district really believe that Muslims could impose Sharia law in MN. In addition to the fear of crime in the Twin Cities many rural residents believe that Muslims have taken over parts of the cities and that non-Muslims aren't allowed in.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Orangutans have better comebacks than you.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I deputize Snowgunner as the public glory hole.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

But, but...I thought he was there to kill everyone ..omg my Supposed civil war wet dreams And insincerity ! @fchowd0311 @CometsWin

Corrosion likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He went there because he's filled by the culture wars, hates blm and frequently used terms like "libtard" and gets in fights with classmates where his classmates thought he might be the next school shooter.

Of you think people like him are part of the solution, you are a lost cause.

I'm frankly uncomfortable with charging a 17 year old as an adult but if he was an adult, I would have no problem with a manslaughter conviction.

17. ROXRAN

If you read what I said prior about him being there you would know that I said he shouldn’t be there ...it’s on record

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Good. Then stop defending the misguided child. He's been brainwashed from the same content you are knee deep in. Be careful. Don't be the next right wing terrorist.

Jimmy Chase and Newlin like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

This video supports what the other protesters said, that no one wanted anything to do with this weirdo. A number of protesters also said he was oddly pushy about being a medic and the protesters were not comfortable with the dumb ass having a 223 on him.

Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  20. ROXRAN

I’ll always defend the right to self defense
    Hey I may be a right wing terrorist. You never know . Would it be morally reprehensible to admit that ?