1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laveranues Coles?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

That would rock to get him running w/ Andre!

-------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1996404

After having two extensive conversations with Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, receiver Laveranues Coles will be released, sources told The Washington Post.

The paper reports Gibbs, owner Daniel Snyder and Coles agent Roosevelt Barnes met Sunday, reaching an oral agreement to make the 27-year-old receiver an unrestricted free agent.

Should Coles be released, one source told the Post, he would return part of his $13 million signing bonus to minimize salary cap ramifications.

Sources close to Coles told ESPN.com on Monday morning, however, that the Redskins were "trying to back off" their agreement to release the wide receiver and that they were tryng to trade him before making such a drastic move. A trade would be difficult, though, since the Redskins would absorb a salary cap hit in excess of $9 million.

"They can't have it both ways," said one source. "If he's going to repay part of [his signing bonus], it's because he can be a free agent, and choose where he continues his career, not to have them trade him. Honestly, it's a mess right now."

Gibbs has admitted to meeting with Coles twice but was vague as to what they discussed.

"We had a couple of good talks. That's the only statement I want to make," Gibbs told the paper last week. "Me and Laveranues talked, and we have a good understanding."

Despite catching a career-high 90 passes last season, Coles was frustrated with the offense and the lack of a deep-passing game.

Gibbs, who also serves as team president, intends to accommodate Coles's request instead of keeping a player who prefers to be elsewhere, two other sources who requested anonymity told the paper.

The Redskins signed Coles to a seven-year, $35 million deal as a restricted free agent from the New York Jets. At the time, the $13 million signing bonus was the richest in Redskins history, forcing the Jets to settle for Washington's first-round pick (No. 13 overall) instead of matching it.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Member

I think it's a pipe dream. Other teams would pay him much more than we would, simply because they need him more. I think that maybe Atlanta, Baltimore, or Oakland are more likely to overpay for him and we would probably only give him a middle of the line type offer.. if we give him an offer at all.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He saved my fantasy team one year and ruined it last year.