1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest on what Lakers will do with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Jun 16, 2013.

1. towW

towW Member

Utah or Detroit could use a Jeremy Lin

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

The problem w/ this is even if LAL agreed to take Asik for Howard in a SnT, we would still need to unload Lin, which is the hard part. Even if there were no salary matching issues (say we offered TJones and DMo), LAC would have no reason to do the trade. CP3 can't credibly threaten to leave LAC to come to Houston because we would be short like $10M from offering him the max. We could try to then move Lin to some other team for nothing, alone w/ TJones/DMo, but that is hard to do and sort of destroys the point of your whole post of SnTing for players in the first place (Asik already pretty easy to move by himself for a pick only).

Finally, Dwight has been sourced as saying he's interested in Houston in part because he could play WITH Asik, who would do the dirty work for him and allow him more rest on the bench. To unnecessarily move Asik AND strike out on CP3 still would not sit well w/ Dwight (as we are unfolding the plan to him that is).

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

Sure. We can think of scenarios, but in reality, moving this many pieces in the amount of time it'd require to pull it off...it is just really hard to do in the nba and just does not happen that often. We can armchair GM and hope as fans, but it really is a lot easier said than done. Moving Lin/DMo/Asik/TJones/TRob all for free...that is NOT easy.

4. towW

towW Member

Gotta shoot for the stars.

5. towW

towW Member

If we could get CP3 I think he'd be ok with losing Asik.

6. towW

towW Member

Sticking to signing only Dwight would be more real and our team would stay more intact.

7. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

That is why I put the AND in there. He'd be okay losing Asik if we got CP3, but the point is, we'd be telling him we're SnTing for him and giving up Asik to LAL while having no guarantees we would get CP3 from LAC, and for all practical intents and purposes would NOT get CP3 in your laid out scenario (for many reasons). Just saying, a SnT w/ LAL that only involves Asik does not make sense for us. If it were Lin, I could see the merit in it because it is easier to move Asik independently, allowing us to then make a real run at CP3 as well. Or better yet, Lin + other players to clear more cap room.

8. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Whats the name/handle of that twitter dudes twitter page thats close to Dwight, or is believed to have inside knowledge of what Dwight might do?

Thanks

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

https://mobile.twitter.com/JRudolphSports

1 person likes this.
  10. megastahr

megastahr Member

jared randolph

@JRudolphSports

1 person likes this.
  11. towW

towW Member

Ok so Lin for a sign and traded CP3. The key in my post is trading one so the burden would not be as much in 2014/15.
    I'm trying to help you help me. lol. My real key is I want both CP3 and D12 as a Rockets. But Dwight alone would be phenomenal.

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

Sure. I'm just saying those scenarios are all pretty far fetched. It'd be nice, but unlikely for a lot of reasons. I prefer Dwight alone -- cleaner and easier, and probably a greater chance of happening since we're so close to being able to sign him outright.

13. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

If Lakers don't do the Bledsoe/Griffin trade with the Clippers, Dwight is walking to Houston anyway.

Lakers don't develop young players so I don't know what they'd do with works in progress like Lin or Asik. It make more sense for them to wait til 2014, when all big contracts are up and get 1 or 2 stars from free agency

But who knows, anything can happen. Especially since Jim Buss is in charge and nothing he does makes sense

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The thread title should be.. "Latest on what Dwight will do with Lakers"

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

16. towW

towW Member

Gotta swing for CP3 also if you want the best basketball team in the NBA.

17. towW

towW Member

it's not about cleaner or easier it's about getting the best basketball team.

18. Aleron

Aleron Member

Woj said no s&t with clippers and the clippers won't offer griffin anyway, and until he says otherwise, i'll take the rest with a grain of salt.

Main reason, Woj doesn't post agent trojan horses as "sources"

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

Again, best basketball team in the real world. You can swing at the fences all you want, but we're looking at deals that have a realistic chance of happening. Teams are just not going to do some of the things you mentioned. Very, very low chance for myriad reasons. We can all hope, but hail mary's aren't likely to occur, even if the RESULT of a hail mary is something we would all love to get.

20. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets want to move Lin and Asik they can do it. At worst they have to throw in draft picks or Parsons. If Paul and Howard decide they want to come to Houston, Morey will get it done. We are not talking about moving albatrosses.