1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest Bush Faux Paus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockHEAD, Jun 21, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Children bemused by latest Bush gaffe
    LONDON (Reuters) - A class of 11-year-olds says U.S. President George W. Bush should go back to school after he sent them a letter describing them as young Americans.

Pupils at Oakhill College in Lancashire were thrilled to get a signed letter from the president after they sent him congratulations on his inauguration, assistant bursar Cathryn Robbins said on Wednesday. But their awestruck silence was soon replaced by gales of laughter when their teacher read the letter out loud.

"As young Americans, you have an important responsibility, which is to become good citizens," the letter said.

"I hope you will continue to learn more about our wonderful country. School provides the right foundation so I urge you to study hard. Then you can be well-prepared for the future."

The children decided that although Bush was one of the most powerful men in the world, they could teach him something about geography, Robbins said.

The gaffe-prone president has hit the headlines on several occasions for his slap dash approach to the niceties of international affairs.

While on the campaign trail, he was tripped up by a surprise pop quiz during a television interview. When asked to name the leaders of four world hot spots -- Chechnya, Taiwan, India and Pakistan -- he could name only one.

During a visit to Europe last week, he mispronounced the name of Spain's prime minister.

But the president often laughs at his reputation for linguistic mix-ups and verbal gaffes.

"Some people think my mom took up the cause of literacy out of a sense of guilt over my own upbringing." Bush told the crowd at a fund-raising dinner in April.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

The 51st state .......... Lancashire

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Spain has a prime minister?

btw, faux 'paus' or faux 'pas'. [​IMG]

------------------
    When this guy started smoking 40 years ago, people had no idea it was bad for you. People had to guess based on the hacking cough, shortness of breath, and bloody phlegm

girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

my own faux pas!

[​IMG]

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

These kids laugh at Bush's percieved intelligence or lack thereof, yet they cannot recognize a simple form letter. Most likely most of the schools that wrote him were in the United States.

------------------
    What's a Nubian?

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Bush can't even shell out more than one kind of form letter? Pitiful.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

RITQAIOCLHTPFOTFWBPTD

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

People think Bush wrote, or had anything to do with the writing of, a form letter? Pitiful.

8. Achebe

(( Bush.getIntelligence() < Gore.getIntelligence() ) && ( ((President)Bush).getStaff().getIntelligence() < ((President)Gore).getStaff().getIntelligence() )) <font size="-15" color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited June 21, 2001).]

9. Achebe

dangit, I'm getting an invalid Class Cast exception on my Gore.

10. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

A form letter designed for American students was sent to children in England. That is an embarassment to the United States and the office of the President. It adds to the already prevalent view in Europe that our President is a rube who is not properly supervising his office and does not know world affairs very well.

Numerous articles in the NY Times, the Washington Post, the London Times, and other influential news organs have discussed it.

Such perceptions are impacting his rating among the US populaton, as reflected by recent polls (see today's NY Times).

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

YAWN !!!!

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

12. BrianKagy

Um, no, the reviews I've heard of Bush's managerial style in terms of "running the office" have been overwhelmingly positive.

People may not like his policies, but most are willing to admit that the Bush method of running the White House "like a business" has been quite successful.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited June 21, 2001).]

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right, 11 year olds are supposed to recognize a form letter. Actually, they probably did, they probably also recognize how idiotic it is to send an American form letter to England.

------------------
    Can't I just give you some of my sperm? It's really good!

14. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Try getting news from some source other than Pat Robertson and CBN.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

15. haven

haven Member

Uhh... Brian, I know that you're well-informed, normally... but I've heard quite a few bad things about how Bush runs the office.

I've heard that he's lazy, delegates work that he should at least *look* at, and doesn't have a firm grasp of what his immediate associates describe. Some people that work with him have said that he really is unaware of what's going on. I wouldn't call that effective office management.

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 21, 2001).]

16. BrianKagy

Why don't you try worrying about where you get your news from instead of pretending you know where I get mine?

You're right. **** the Houston Chronicle's editorial pages. What do they know?

17. haven

haven Member

BrianKagy:

Perhaps you have conflicting information. I've read detailed reports of Bush's poor office-management skills in Newsweek and the Boston Globe. But other news-outlets, like CNN, have mentioned his ahhh... surprising... locations during moments of relative crisis. He evidently values a great deal of leisure time... far more than Clinton or his father did.

Perhaps it's appropriate for a President to work approximately 6 hours per day. I don't think so, personally.

Some professionals have been upset with the nonchalance that Bush treats the Presidency. Compared to the previous two Presidents, he's less energetic and works less.

------------------

18. BrianKagy

Haven, I have heard that Bush is not fond of long days or long meetings. I'll agree on that.

But I have heard positive things from various editorial sources about Bush's style of management. The Bush White House is run efficiently, this gaffe notwithstanding. Things get done when they should, as they should.

I'm sorry, but I have to chalk up the talk of a disorganized White House as nothing more than wishful thinking on the part of Bush's enemies.

Like I said, criticism of his policies, or his weak points (public speaking, for instance) is understandable and even merited. Criticism of how he runs the office is just foolish. That's one of his strong points and I think it does the opposition a disservice to attack him there.

Credit has to be given where it's due.

19. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Brian.

You're right about the Houston Chronicle, of course. You might as well be reading the RNC newsletter. Try the NY Times, or the Washington Post, or even the WSJ. If its in the Chronicle, it will be the Bush party line.

------------------

20. haven

haven Member

So, you're willing to believe implicitly that he's a good manager when just as many people say the opposite? Why couldn't it be wishful thinking on the part of his supporters?

His own appointees have attempted to brief him on issues, and discovered that he 1. knew nothing of the issue, even though he should have as President, 2. didn't care to learn about the issue, and 3. ignored them, despite the fact that it was important that he give his opinion.

How could htat possibly be efficient office management? Isn't part of such understanding your subordinates and addressing their concerns? How can that be if he doesn't even understand what's going on?

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 22, 2001).]