1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last night, our guards and small forwards outrebounded our bigs. (Cavs @ Rox)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SemisolidSnake, Mar 2, 2015.

1. SemisolidSnake

I was doing some research from last night's game for this post, and I started to dig into our advanced stats. What I found confirmed what my (and probably everybody's) eyeballs saw last night.

I admit that I am not well-versed in analyzing advanced metrics, but I think I understand this one. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Last night's basic rebound totals look like this:

Guards and small forwards
    Harden: 8 (led team)
    Ariza: 7
    Beverley: 5
    Brewer: 2
    Terry: 0
    Prigioni: 2 (in only 6:14 of play time)
    Total: 24

Bigs
    Jones: 7
    D-Mo: 2
    Smith: 3
    Total: 12

Ok, so already the numbers aren't looking good. I suspect Dorsey might have been able to pull down a decent number if he'd played; he's more physical in the paint. Who knows, though?

Now, we look at Total Rebound Percentage (TRB%), which the website defines as "an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor."

Harden: 11.2%
    Ariza: 9.9%
    Beverley: 8.5%
    Brewer: 6.1%
    Terry: 0.0% obviously
    Prigioni: 19.1% (because he wasn't in the game very long)

Bigs
    Jones: 9.5%
    D-Mo: 3.9% (this is our one 7-ft guy at the moment)
    Smith: 5.8%

Also, just for some both teams perspective, Tristan Thompson (6'8", so shorter than our three bigs and not really any heftier) had 19 total rebounds and, for his substantial 37:18 minutes played, had an astonishing TRB% of 30.3% Also, our James and their James had nearly identical rebounding stats. The Cavs outrebounded us 53 to 36.

------

So, this is insane, right? It's amazing we won that game with a disparity like that. Our current bigs can neither make layups (or dunk) nor do the most basic thing a big guy does: rebound. And it's not because they're undersized; see Tristan Thompson above. They're just not doing it. Our tiny new point guard, Prigioni, got the same number of rebounds (2) in 6:14 as our 7-ft center did in 30:48. (Side note to McHale: Good God, play Prigioni more.)

This goes beyond not having Dwight there or even having Dwight and a backup center. Somebody needs to teach these guys how to follow the ball, box out effectively, and go up and wrench the ball away with authority like Bevs does every time. It's just stunning we keep winning these games when you look at these numbers. What do the Rockets do?

2. SemisolidSnake

Ignore the "Totals" underneath the TRB% numbers. Obviously, I copied and pasted and missed that on proofreading.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We have one of the biggest frontcourt in the league and brewer/ariza are small forwards

4. valleyproud

valleyproud Member

While I agree ouf bigs need to do a better job of rebounding and blocking out, the amount of threes we take lead to long rebounds which skew amount of long offensive rebounds our guards get. That being said, the Cavs had 22 offensive rebounds. Unacceptable!

QUOTE=SemisolidSnake;9593800]I was doing some research from last night's game for this post, and I started to dig into our advanced stats. What I found confirmed what my (and probably everybody's) eyeballs saw last night.

I admit that I am not well-versed in analyzing advanced metrics, but I think I understand this one. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Last night's basic rebound totals look like this:

Harden: 8 (led team)
    Ariza: 7
    Beverley: 5
    Brewer: 2
    Terry: 0
    Prigioni: 2 (in only 6:14 of play time)

Bigs
    Jones: 7
    D-Mo: 2
    Smith: 3

Ok, so already the numbers aren't looking good. I suspect Dorsey might have been able to pull down a decent number if he'd played; he's more physical in the paint. Who knows, though?

Now, we look at Total Rebound Percentage (TRB%), which the website defines as "an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor."

Harden: 11.2%
    Ariza: 9.9%
    Beverley: 8.5%
    Brewer: 6.1%
    Terry: 0.0% obviously
    Prigioni: 19.1% (because he wasn't in the game very long)

Bigs
    Jones: 9.5%
    D-Mo: 3.9% (this is our one 7-ft guy at the moment)
    Smith: 5.8%

Also, just for some both teams perspective, Tristan Thompson (6'8", so shorter than our three bigs and not really any heftier) had 19 total rebounds and, for his substantial 37:18 minutes played, had an astonishing TRB% of 30.3% Also, our James and their James had nearly identical rebounding stats. The Cavs outrebounded us 53 to 36.

------

So, this is insane, right? It's amazing we won that game with a disparity like that. Our current bigs can neither make layups (or dunk) nor do the most basic thing a big guy does: rebound. And it's not because they're undersized; see Tristan Thompson above. They're just not doing it. Our tiny new point guard, Prigioni, got the same number of rebounds (2) in 6:14 as our 7-ft center did in 30:48. (Side note to McHale: Good God, play Prigioni more.)

This goes beyond not having Dwight there or even having Dwight and a backup center. Somebody needs to teach these guys how to follow the ball, box out effectively, and go up and wrench the ball away with authority like Bevs does every time. It's just stunning we keep winning these games when you look at these numbers. What do the Rockets do?[/QUOTE]