1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Last Day Players can sign contracts coming up quickly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 12, 2013.

1. basketballholic

Yeah, we're not talking waiver wire. And I generally agree with you on dleague call ups. Although there are a couple guys down there that I feel would be better than Ohlbrecht (Whiteside and Jordan), but it wouldn't make sense to offer them $3 million. Jerome Jordan may be a guy we sign with our room MLE (since it is prorateed) down towards the end of the season, simply to have a trade chip that somebody else may want this off season. He is a top dleague player and has been on the edge of cutting out himself a career in the NBA. I think he'll eventually get it done. Nice backup center there. And Whiteside has tons of potential as well. I think he's being stashed in RGV so we can sign him for league minimum this off season after we make our moves and use him as a 13th to 15th man next year.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not exactly. There is one key distinction:

If it was a team option, the Rockets would not be able to trade Brooks unless and until they exercised the option on his contract, thereby guaranteeing his salary for next season.

However, because it is NON-GUARANTEED through June 30, the Rockets are able to trade Brooks between the end of their season and June 30 (most notably, on draft night), with the receiving team then able to make up its own mind on whether to guarantee Brooks's 2013-14 season or waive him by June 30.

Hope that clears up any confusion for you.

(And yes, I am confident in the June 30 date.)

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

4. basketballholic

Hmmmmm. Interesting wrinkle there. So Brooks will either be traded or released before June 30th. Hmmmm. Hey Toronto, we'll give you Aaron and somebody else (White) for Lowry? (Only $1 million guaranteed and could be a nice chip to the Lakers for either Dwight or Pau.) Or Steimsma? Or RIP?

5. basketballholic

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That's my guess. I'd lean heavily towards him being waived. But if they can get something (future second rounder?) for him, they'll have that opportunity before June 30.

Again, given the Rockets' particular cap situation, I don't think they'll be bending over backwards to replace "pure cap room" with non-guaranteed contracts. There's simply no need. They will have the ability to outright sign pretty much any available free agent; and they can easily make more minor moves to open up the necessary room to sign a super-max guy like Dwight or CP3.

Once again, I think you're over-analyzing things and getting too caught up in your own (very creative) theories.

But, hey, at least it makes for interesting discussion!

7. basketballholic

With non-guaranteed contracts we could conceivably add 2 guys, say Dwight and Millsap...going the S&T route and still have all our core including Asik. With just cap room it's gonna be difficult to get 2 guys without giving up a ton of assets to do it. That's why I'm bringing it up. Looking down the road, Asik and Millsap may be the base to trading for Love later.