1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last Chance For Wild Card/Dark Horse Dem VP Prediction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by serious black, Aug 19, 2008.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

No, I can't, but the topic was "dark horses." ;)

I could say the same thing about a lot of names mentioned in this thread. ("It's Ken Salazar!" "It's Bob Graham!")

Agree, though, that Harkin's deep Hillary ties probably take him off the list. (Same with Rendell.)

I guess, as a dark horse who is realistic and buzzworthy, I'd say Warner. Mainly because I can't see any way they'd pick him since the Dems need him to win his Senate race, and it would be weird since he's been given the keynote.

So, if he were named, it would definitely be a dark horse pick.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To get the MadMax vote, here's the best dark horse:

[​IMG]

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hadn't seen the Gore annoucement until you mentioned it. I don't think the announcement would prevent Gore being the selection, but like I've said before, I'd be shocked if he wanted it. Frankly, I think it is a mistake on his part. Sure, it would be second banana again, but he could do so much with that pulpit and he would again be close to the levers of power on the inside, where he could help make some serious changes affecting the issues he feels strongly about. It wouldn't be out of the question that he could run after Barack's two terms, either.

Too bad he didn't want to run for the nomination and doesn't want on the ticket. Like you said in another thread, he is one of two people who would instantly give Barack a huge bump in the polls and sustain it, IMO.

Impeach Bush/Cheney.

4. serious black

serious black Member

I'm just trying to hedge my bets. I want bragging rights should Obama choose someone off list. Murray and her tennies voted against the war. Only 19 other Democratic Senators can say that.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Sure, but you're forgetting the important disqualifier of her not having a penis. Hillary's supporters would be so offended they would have to vote for McCain.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Rahm Emmanuel.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nice, but I prefer his brother:

[​IMG]

8. serious black

serious black Member

He is constitutionally disqualified. President and Vice President cannot come from the same state. This is why Cheney had to change his official residence from Texas to Wyoming when he became the pick. But I do think Emmanuel was born to be a vice president. I don't really follow Illinois politics, is Rahm expected to take Obama's Senate seat? Or maybe Jesse Jackson Jr.? Perhaps GettingBranded would know.

9. serious black

serious black Member

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be Jack Reed.

10. baller4life315

I'd say my prediction is he selects Biden with my darkhorse or "ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" pick being Gore.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Ahh... Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think Rahm wants to move over to the Senate. He's at the top of the pack in the House; he'd be starting all over in the Senate. I've heard Jesse Jackson, Jr. was the likely pick for Senate.

12. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

Carl Levin, Claire McCaskill, Jack Reed, Chet Edwards

Pleaseeeee pick my girl Kathleen!!

13. The Cat

The Cat Member

You know who would be the ultimate dark horse VP? Pedro Loya! :D

14. serious black

serious black Member

Biden: 'I'm not the guy'

As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden left his home a few minutes ago, golf clubs in tow, he was asked where he was going to be on Saturday.

Biden replied, "Here" and pointed down to his driveway.

As he pulled out of the driveway in the driver's seat of his car he then said to the press gathered near his gate, "You guys have better things to do. I'm not the guy."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/19/1276323.aspx

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm telling you, it's John Forbes Kerry.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Crazytown.

Maybe he's assuming he's not it because he hasn't been told?

That would be a really weird thing to say if he is the guy.

But if it's not him it's really hard to pick a frontrunner.

CBS said today the announcement would come Friday night. That seems like a long time to wait with anticipation being what it is now.

17. Major

Major Member

Friday night works in that Obama has scheduled a big event Saturday morning in Springfield where he launched his campaign. On the other hand, what a waste of controlling the news cycle. Then again, that's been one of the Obama campaign's weaknesses - they've let both McCain and Hillary (in the primaries) control the media coverage.

18. serious black

serious black Member

I disagree. Keeping people guessing controls the news cycle plenty. Also, it keeps purple states like Indiana, Virginia and New Mexico thinking their guy is it.

19. Major

Major Member

True - he's done a good job with that. But in general, he's allowed the media to essentially repeat and cover Clinton/McCain talking points as news. With Clinton, it was "does Obama have a woman problem? (no does Hillary have a man problem)" or "does Obama have a white problem (no does Hillary have a black problem)" or "Hillary wins the big states (why does that matter?)" etc. With McCain, it's "is Obama a celebrity" or "does Obama have a patriotism problem" etc.

Obama never has been able to drive the media to focus on a Hillary or McCain problem nearly as well.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

But why have the announcement Friday or over the weekend? That's when Bush announces he's invaded another country! It's when people in general, not us in particular, do things other than pay attention to the news.

Total guess on my part, but I think the announcement is tomorrow morning.

Impeach Bush/Cheney.