1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last Chance For Wild Card/Dark Horse Dem VP Prediction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by serious black, Aug 19, 2008.

1. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Whether the pick is announced tomorrow morning or next week, the great American game of predicting Obama's VP is coming to a close. The good money appears to be on Bayh, Kaine, or Biden with Clinton, Sebelius, Clark, Richardson, Daschle, Nunn, Hagel, Gore, Kerry etc. considered longer shots. But since the Obama campaign is supposed to be so good at keeping secrets and pluggin leaks there is real possibility that he picks a name that is not on anyone's list. Thus the need for a darker horse prediction thread.

My five darker horse predictions are Bill Bradley, Dick Gephart, Russ Feingold, Bob Graham and just for fun, Jimmy Carter.

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Oh man, Bill Bradley. That would be awesome. Twin Towers!!!

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Al Sharpton

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SBFREiCkf8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SBFREiCkf8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm surprised you left Reed off your list. He's not out of the running yet.

I'd add Brian Schweitzer and Mark Warner to the dark horse list.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No surprises with Obama, throughly conventional safe pick. Hence all the excitement around the process.

6. Major

Major Member

For what it's worth, one of the big questions about Gore that stoked the speculation (why isn't he on the speaking schedule) has been answered. He'll be speaking at the Broncos stadium on the final night of the convention along with Obama.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jenna Bush.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Bush I!!

9. Major

Major Member

How about McCain's first wife? Then the campaign would become a referendum on McCain's family values. :D

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Doubtful. Somehow Republicans have become bulletproof when it comes to stuff like that.

Edwards (not even running for president nor a current member of Congress) has an affair and it's talked about for days. Yet the same people who criticize Edwards saying they would never vote for someone who cheated on their wife, don't even bring it up with regards to McCain.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think it is about time for a female VP at least. With the support HillDog had its obvious USA is ready.

McCain should get Dr. Rice.

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My "dark horse" picks are Warner and Gore. Both are supposed to not want it and both would be fantastic selections by Barack, were they interested.

Impeach Bush/Cheney.

14. Batman Jones

I think Gore's finally out of the running for good with the announcement that he's speaking on Thursday night. I wouldn't rule anyone else out based on speaking slots as they can always change the schedule but it doesn't make sense to announce this today, right before announcing, and then change it.

I can't help wondering if Warner might have some sort of worry about vetting. He had a lot of buzz going into the primary season and then suddenly dropped out of contention. I think he knows he could have the VP slot if he wanted it and he certainly knows that would make him the prohibitive favorite as the next Dem nominee. I also think that no matter what Shermanesque statement anyone makes, when a front-running nominee asks you to be VP, you just say yes. Unless you have a really good reason not to. Just a hunch. I hope it's wrong.

15. Batman Jones

Can you imagine all this hype leading up to an early morning text that reads, "It's Vilsack!!"

I can't.

I think he was a top 5 pick for Hillary, but there's no way he's on Obama's list.

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Anybody but Biden. It goes against the "change" mantra to pick someone who has been an insider for that long.

17. serious black

Another I'm adding to my darker horse list: Ken Salazar of Colorado

18. Batman Jones

Ugh. God. I hope not. You just found someone I like less than Bayh.

19. serious black

He's not my pick, he's someone I think could be on a longshot list. And obamasalazar.com is a godaddy website...

Another darker horse prediciton: Patty Murray

20. Batman Jones

That's your reachiest reach yet. Have you seen some data that shows Obama struggling with the tennis shoe demographic?