1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

It scares the hell out of me and I have a whole closet full of armaments (that 95% of never get used).

Crazy White Guy scares me a whole hell of a lot more than Crazy Black/Brown Guy.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, if some of these media outlets get the civil war they seem to crave, the whole damn US is going to look like Fallujah.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Crazy doesn't know a skin color.

Deckard and TexasTofu like this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I read online that the cops found him quickly because the smoke detector in his room went off. Firing that many rounds that quickly would heat up that rifle barrel pretty hot and it would start smoking, though just shooting in general is going to create smoke obviously, but that may be why all the rifles. He may have started switching them out at some point. I also read he had a couple of tripods at the windows. He'd use these to keep the rifles more stable when shooting to stay on target easier. Also sounds like he had at least one .308 rifle caliber, a deadlier round than the typical AR15 .223 round. It sounds like he was well prepared unlike a lot of the previous mass shootings.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What Bullets Do to Bodies

The right to live went gross with pictures of aborted fetus. Perhaps the gun debates can play that game. Show picture of trauma injuries to kids with gun shots.

Rashmon likes this.
  7. CometsWin

#47 CometsWin, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Yung-T and Amiga like this.
  8. CometsWin

A second gun has a bipod and a scope, maybe a 20 round mag. This may be the .308. This one he might have sought out targets individually instead of just spraying with the other rifle.

[​IMG]

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

so, who really need this? can't we give up a bit of fun for society ?

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What is the explained real Life purpose of this, besides being able to kill things more quickly, and why would you need an auto for hunting, where one bullet should be enough to kill an animal?

As someone outside of the USA, these laws make extremely little sense to me.

Just looked that company up and they marketed this crap with the slogan "Freedom Unleashed", Just ridiculous.

el gnomo likes this.
  11. B-Bob

You're not alone. A lot of people here have those questions too. Why a holographic slope? Why a slide fire? My family is full of hunters, and none of us would ever need that for deer, elk, quail, or dove. (Or, if GWB is hunting, for the mockingbird.)

But a lot of other people see any single simple law as the steep slope toward tyranny and loss of "freedoms."

Ironically, we're already headed for tyranny, it seems. But we'll be well-armed when a future government erases our identity and takes us out with drones.

justtxyank and el gnomo like this.
  12. B-Bob

But this is equivalent, our right wing friends would tell us -- and I mean identical -- to the destruction unleashed by your average varmint rifle. Am I understanding this right? (No snark; I'm actually asking.)

el gnomo likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

NRA = Nazi Rifle Association

14. CometsWin

A .223 caliber is a varmint rifle but there's a difference between actual hunting and combat with people possibly shooting back at you. Hitting a target multiple times, even with a varmint rifle is going to do a lot of damage. When you're hunting and you fire, the animal will run into cover or through a forest or what have you so you're going to have trouble getting a good second shot. So a hunter of anything of size will use a larger caliber rifle like a .308 but it looks like this guy did both. He used the .223 AR15 to spread fire with his slide fire making it automatic and then he used that .308 with the scope to target people individually I'd assume.

The problem is the nature of semi-automatic and automatic rifles. If this guy only had a bolt action rifle where you manually have to eject the casing and load a new cartridge he couldn't have shot 1/10th of the number of people he shot. A lot of hunters use bolt rifles, ironically enough.

#54 CometsWin, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. CometsWin

He had a bunch of those 100 round mags stacked up in this picture. They're like $150-$175 a piece. Looks like about 14 or 15, 100 round mags sitting in stacks.

[​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also another thing you left off, assuming there were 15 100 round magazines fully loaded, that's roughly 75 pounds worth of ammo alone. Absolutely crazy that he got all of this into a hotel like that.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no purpose for a slide fire other than it's kind of fun for recreational shooters I guess. Personally I think slide fire mods go against the spirit of the full auto regulations and should be subject to the same standards.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope all of the victims have insurance.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

The rise of cannabis usage popularity over alcohol/cocaine is the no. one trigger to mental illnesses vilonce, probably in this case as well

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, I refuse to believe that anyone actually thinks that thus this has to be nothing more than a weird attempt at trolling that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Tha_Dude and tinman like this.