1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Oct 2, 2017.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

50 dead. 200 injured.

What. The. F***.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

400 injured now.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

TheRealist137 likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I woke up in the middle of the night to a bunch of news alerts from this. Several of my coworkers were in Las Vegas this weekend, but knowing them they were not at any concerts. I hope they’re safe.

This is madness and surreal.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unreal - it is just too easy to get guns and ammo in this country. This was a country music concert - should have been fun for those people, instead some nutjob with 10+ rifles and fully automatic weapons opens fire - WTF is going on?

DD

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i've always said, don't use ignore use self-control. well not in so many words but same point.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

BBS is a lot easier to read when you filter out people whose posts are 99% garbage.

Rashmon, B-Bob and CometsWin like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah but we need a D&D thread to post all are off-color political views on the subject. I can guarantee that in the coming days more than a couple of people in the Hangout will be referred to this thread to say whatever unfortunate thing they post over there.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I have no idea. Will have to wait and see. Not that knowing makes it any less horrific, but as of right not I don't think anyone has any idea WTF. But this doesn't fit the mode of other such incidents, at least not on the surface.

FWIW, I only saw the very end of it, but all accounts (even those on 'opposed' news channels) of Trump's speech on this indicate it was a very good, somber, inclusive speech. Good....this doesn't need to turn into something political, especially not right away.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe the maids at the hotel should be armed. Moar guns.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

When I went to bed it was being reported as 2 dead and "dozens" injured. Holy **** did those numbers rise.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can a resident gun expert talk about what ammo must have been involved? I can't imagine the guy was such an amazing shot that he had 400 individual hits, so his bullets must have been fragmenting like crazy (?)

Shooter doesn't really fit the young crazy disaffected male profile. Really weird and horrific.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well when you are shooting into a crowd of 22,000, it doesn't take accuracy, you are shooting fish in a barrel. I don't think he was using special ammo at all, just an automatic rifle that was either belt fed or had a drum.

Also, I'm not sure that every person injured was shot, when you have a shooting like that in a crowd that dense, you'll have people hurt via the stampede effect it causes.

amaru likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am no gun expert at all. But I imagine that not all 400 injuries were directly from bullet wounds. They could have been from falls while running, getting trampled, etc.

That being said he was firing automatic weapons which shoot many bullets in a short amount of time. Thousands of people crowded in tight spaces would make him more likely to hit folks in his bursts.

I don't really know.

amaru likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Others have already mentioned the tightly packed crowd and injuries due to a mass panic.
    Saw an expert talking on MSNBC who also stated that bullets would richochet from the ground when shooting from the high ground, so one bullet would be capable of injuring multiple people. Also stated that people were often on top of each other, the bullets could penetrate several people.

amaru likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

A ton of injuries probably occurred from the ensuing madness. Perhaps even a few fatalities.

He was shooting for approximately 5 minutes.

Given that window he likely got off at least a thousand rounds.

Supposedly the weapons he was using were fatal up to 2000 feet and the window he was at was 1700 feet from the concert site.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They're saying it was automatic gun fire. I'm thinking he may have had a slide fire setup on his rifle. It allows a semi-automatic to act like an automatic.

http://www.slidefire.com/

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why is technology like this even allowed for public purchase?