1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry The Legend

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Xerobull, May 10, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

doesn't even look like he lifts

3. tksense

tksense Member

Guess cricket is what you get for being two generations removed, even for a 3-time MVP.

Current players tend to hype up who they watched growing up, which helps form a legend for young viewers. However, today's players never even watched the 80s dudes, so the hype is dead. When Durant was asked about Larry Bird, he can merely parrot nonchalantly the standard praise, but admitted to have never watched him play as Larry is before his time.

Jontro likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Smarts and skill is better than athleticism.....

DD

eman and raining threes like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Loved his athleticism and competitiveness.

6. raining threes

Bird was a better version of today's Durant.

One of the best shooters to ever live.

He had the same hating to lose gene that MJ/Hakeem/Magic etc... had.

Greatness

Duke Fan likes this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with everything, except the first statement. I know people don't like KD, and think he's a modern plague on the game. He has his own game, there haven't been any players with a similar style of play, along with his height and athleticism. KD is nowhere the playmaker Bird or has that kind of court vision, but I don't think Bird could do some of the things KD can do. Bird is more comparable to say Luka, LeBron, or Harden, it's not even a smooth comparison with those players. Their games are pretty unique.

raining threes and durvasa like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, I wouldn't take the lack of conversation as a slight to Bird's greatness it's just that you have to be middle aged to speak knowledgeably on his career. Even with MJ, a lot of the younger generation never saw him play much live. There's just way more highlights of the mid 90s onward.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's why all time player rankings can be kind of silly, because I'd imagine most here and even NBA fans have never watched great players from the 60s and 70s -- Russell, Big O, Wilt, West, Baylor, Hawkins, Barry, Frazier, or many others. You can actually effectively rate the players unless you are an aficionado.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

Why I like Brogdon