1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Sanders is quitting basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tmactoyao, Jan 5, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Larry Sanders on report he doesn’t want to play basketball: “That’s not true. But what is true is I’m in the process of working things out.&quot;</p>&mdash; Andrew Gruman (@AndrewGruman) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewGruman/status/552673366801264642">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Larry Sanders: “I’m definitely making progress. I’m trying to get to the root of a lot of issues and get them corrected going forward.&quot;</p>&mdash; Andrew Gruman (@AndrewGruman) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewGruman/status/552673669655171072">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Larry Sanders: “Without these things being corrected, I don’t think basketball would be something I could even do.”</p>&mdash; Andrew Gruman (@AndrewGruman) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewGruman/status/552673955559915521">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ thx for posting that.

There is also an article accompanying those brief tweets. Gruman is the beat writer for the Bucks. His last tweet links to his article on Sanders containing the quotes above.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here's what Larry Sanders had to say tonight, refuting report he doesn't want to play basketball: <a href="http://t.co/JqumI7ZOtv">http://t.co/JqumI7ZOtv</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bucks?src=hash">#Bucks</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Gruman (@AndrewGruman) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewGruman/status/552697401535127552">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

Health at Root of Larry Sanders Absence from Bucks

MILWAUKEE -- Just under an hour before tipoff Tuesday, Milwaukee Bucks center Larry Sanders ended his two-week long absence.

Sanders sat on the bench in street clothes for Milwaukee's 102-96 loss to the Phoenix Suns at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, missing his sixth consecutive game.

While he didn't play, Sanders did address the media following the game and refuted the recent report that he told Bucks officials he no longer wants to play basketball professionally.

"Someone also told me that," Sanders said when asked about the report. "I haven't seen that yet. I figured with my absence that something was going to come out sooner than later.

"That's not true. But what is true I would say is that I'm in the process of working things out now internally to do what's best for my psyche and my physical health going forward. There's a lot of evaluating going on. There's a lot of inside talk just to put myself in the best place for my health right now."

Sanders confirmed that Tuesday was the first time he has been around the team since last appearing in a game on Dec. 23. The Bucks initially said Sanders was out due to illness but later deemed the reason for his absence as "personal reasons."

The 26-year-old is in the first year of a four-year, $44 million contract extension he signed with Milwaukee in August 2013.

"I'm definitely making progress," Sanders said of his personal situation. "I'm trying to get to the root of a lot of issues and get them corrected going forward."

There's no timetable for Sanders' return to the lineup. Bucks coach Jason Kidd said the fifth-year center will not accompany the team to Philadelphia for Wednesday's game against the 76ers.

Milwaukee returns home to face Minnesota on Friday and plays Saturday in Chicago before departing to London for a game against the New York Knicks on Jan. 15.

"I kind of go by recommendations," Sanders said. "I'm definitely keeping my ear to those who are close to me and seeing what they say is best for my health moving forward."

Sanders was asked how important basketball is to him at this current time with what he is dealing with personally.

"Without these things being corrected, I don't think basketball would be something I could even do," Sanders said. "I have to work my way back to try to be able to play."

This certainly wasn't the way Sanders had expected to bounce back after last year's disastrous season.

His tumultuous 2013-14 campaign began with a 25-game absence due to a torn thumb ligament suffered in an altercation at a local nightclub and ended when a fractured right orbital bone caused him to miss the final 31 games of the season.

He has started 26 of the 27 games he's played in this season, averaging 7.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks.

"It was good to see Larry back," Kidd said. "(Now we need) to go through the process of getting him back in the swing of things."​

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I can respect that. By the sounds of it, he has other passions in life and money isn't everything to him. Good luck to Mr. Sanders

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA suspends Bucks C Larry Sanders without pay for a minimum of 10 games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program.</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/556187020864004096">January 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sanders' suspension begins Monday, will continue &quot;until he is in full compliance with his treatment program,&quot; NBA says.</p>&mdash; Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) <a href="https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/556187307116888065">January 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Potential Roy Tarpley situation developing here. Sad...

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Is he pulling a Ricky Williams and preferring to smoke his pot (among other passions) rather than play professional ball?

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

seems like it...isn't this his second time?

8. NotChandlerParsons

Except instead of dying at age 50, he'll most likely just move to Denver and get really really fat.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

what's his problem? he in love with coco or ganja?

10. NotChandlerParsons

It's ten games, so it has to be mar1juana. PEDs are 20 games min and other drugs of abuse enroll you in a rehab program with severe suspensions if you fail (see Chris Andersen). Weed is a warning, a fine, then 5 games times the amount of violations, so 10 15 20 etc.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's 10 games because he has been caught before and now has broken his treatment.

The league's policy is all positives remain private. The player and union and NBA's medical director are the only ones who know. The teams don't even know until he breaks in treatment plan. And the media certainly doesn't know until that third strike.

12. ApuN

ApuN Member

Dood is the Ricky Williams of the NBA

I say let him go live in the mountains, meditate, chant, and smoke alot of grass

When the bills pile up and support payments are missed, and he gets sued - he'll have plenty of motivation to come back and play

13. HTM

HTM Member

I Think it's pretty selfish for someone to be given such gifts and to squander them (in this case crazy height and athleticism) while so many others were never nearly as blessed.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

How many of those people were leaving 20m on the table? Not many. But nonetheless I agree. Props to anyone willing to do that. As long as he doesn't end up broke and on government assistance, I approve.