1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by joegoroxy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

I am in a franchise keeper league where each team gets to keep 3 players from their roster the previous year. So far I am keeping Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. My next best players are Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

I know Larry had a crappy year last year, catching less than 1000 yards, however it is noted that the quarterback play was so terrible that I could had probably walked onto that team at that position. This year they have a major upgrade at qb with Carlson Palmer. He can still play, throwing over 4000 yards last season to a injury riddled depleted Raiders receiving core that was not very good to begin with. I believe the pairing with Fitz and Palmer in addition to the armada of rb the team drafted has laid the foundation for a very nice year for Larry. He is still in his 20's and has a ton of football ahead of him.

Andre had a solid season last year. The best receiver on the team and has been a league leader for many years in that category. My only cause for concern is that with the new addition of DeAndre and the conservative and predictable play calling style of Kubiak will hurt Andre statistically. Lets face it, if it wasn't for Kubiak having to toss out his game plan and allow Schaub to hurl the ball downfield to come back from huge deficits, Andre would not have had the season he had last year. Lets not forget to mention Andre is in his 30's.

I really think Fitz is the smart choice for my league format, however I am a huge fan of Andre! What do you guys think is the best choice and why?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd drop Wilson.

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

What QBs will be available to draft? I wouldn't recommend keeping Wilson unless there is nobody at all that will be available. That being said, I would take Fitz of Andre, it's a safer bet at this point in their careers.

4. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

The top QBs will be kept, I have schaub, but I feel Wilson will be a better fantasy value with Seattle running the option and him gaining rushing yards and rushing tds. Also unlike rg3, Wilson knows how to slide

5. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

Also give me reasons for your responses, just don't post "I'd drop Wilson" without a argument for it! Lol

6. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

How many teams are in your league? Is it PPR? Does your league do -1 per sack? - Important questions for discussing WRs and QBs.

QB is always an interesting position in FF. In a 10 team league, the difference between Team 5's QB and Team 10 might be 30-40 points over the season. The difference between Teams 1-3 and Team 10 might be 100-125. With 12 teams it gets even more disparate. If you have an idea that 6-8 QBs will be kept, you should know who they are by now, and how many teams have them. Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Peyton, and Ryan are all definite keepers and the elite QBs next year. These guys accounted for 4500+ yards, 32+ TDs, ~12 INTs, and few fumbles. Who else will be that good this year? Anyone that might step up significantly from this group?
    Stafford, Newton, Romo, Luck, Wilson, Kaep, RG3 (if he plays), Eli, Cousins, Freeman

I'm not sure that you can really say that Wilson will definitely be that guy to move into the top tier and be significantly better than others on this list that can get you about the same amount of points. I expect Luck to be very good this year, and I expect Newton to do better, but I don't think either move into the elite tier. Do you think any of them will be available to you in the draft? If so, I would consider dropping Wilson to keep Fitz/AJ.

Fitz and Andre though are likely going to be really good this year given the changes to their teams. AJ finally has a second option that will take pressure away from him. It will likely lower his targets and his overall points on the year, but he will do better and be more efficient. Fitz now has an average QB, which is an upgrade from no QB, so he should do better. The question is, can you draft a better WR prospect than Fitz/AJ, or can you draft a better QB than Wilson? I don't know your league, so I can't say, but that's basically what would drive this decision for me. If trades are still available, I would look at moving AJ+Wilson for a guy like Rodgers, Brees or Peyton. People around Houston love AJ, and that really sweetens the deal in this area if you are local. He usually gets overdrafted in my leagues (except last year), and I tend to avoid Texans for that reason, but they certainly do make great tradebait.

Of the two WRs though, I think AJ is the better keeper. He's certainly proven himself to perform, so long as he's healthy. Schaub loves him, Kubiak loves him, and his team is expected to make the playoffs, so you know he will have something to play for every week. The cardinals on the other hand, will probably be 2-6 going into their bye week. I doubt Fitz will have much drive to do much, but at least he should put up some good garbage time stats.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Either name the QB's you suspect will be kept or the ones that wont and I'll give you a reason.

8. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

I have already stated that the top ranked QB's will be kept . . . . . I would imagine that would be sufficient enough for you to validate your claim. I am not intrigued by your insight enough to gather additional information for your "expert" analysis.

9. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

Dutchrudder! Thanks for your insight, I will have to reassess the situation when the draft order and keepers are announced. It is a 12 team league and I suspect that I will have pick 7 or 8. If it looks like he will likely fall to me at 7, i will keep my 2 wr and lynch. I am a little leary because that was the strategy I used last year and nearly missed the playoffs, I blame pedestrian play of Schaub in the first half of the year.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Id drop Wilson, keep lynch Fitz and Andre. The fact is Wilson holds similar value to the second our tier qbs who won't be kept(romo, Shaub, kap, Stafford even) only 6i could see being kept is brees, manning bros, Brady, Rodgers, rg3, than its questionable with Newton Stafford and Wilson etc...

Drop Wilson...

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha. Okay. I was the first to say drop that jabroni, everyone else said to drop him. How about you just don't drop him. Drop a 2nd-3rd round WR instead. That's genius.

12. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

Ziggy there was a difference in analysis between you and Dutchrudder!

Your analysis consisted of 3 words, and Dutchrudder! gave an in depth analysis of not only advantages but alternative options I could undergo.

Would you listen to a person who nonchalantly gives advice without substance, or listen to a person who gives some thought in a response?