1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Dierker's book:"This Ain't Brain Surgery"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by across110thstreet, May 9, 2004.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Has anyone read this yet? My Dad went to a game last week and met Mr. Dierker in one of the business suites. This morning, pops gives me a copy of "This Ain't Brain Surgery: How to Win the Pennant Without Losing Your Mind."

on the inside cover is signed:

To Jeremy,
    Aloha!
    Larry Dierker #49

how awesome is that? I was not expecting this, and now I have some reading material for my flight back to NYC.

interesting title, considering Mr. Dierker suffered a grand mal seizure and had a brain operation, I'm sure it's in the book somewhere.

[​IMG]

2. Khopesh

Khopesh Member

Heh, first post, and it's about the Stros

I read it, and enjoyed it very much. It's important to note that it ISN'T ghostwritten, which was impressive.

I was dissapointed that his memoirs of his time coaching the Astros were so brief. That was the most enjoyable part of the book, but I imagine since all those chaps are still playing and Dierk himself might still have a role on the org he needed to keep the gossiping to a minimum. The rest of the book is a generalized analysis of coaching and playing in the league, which did drag at times, but was always entertaining. It breezed through it in a couple days. Personally I can't wait for the complete scoop on the Astros, but this was suffecient in the meantime.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I went to high school with Dirk's kid.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suggest everyone read the book "Ball Four". It was the first 'tell-all' baseball book and quite a bit of it deals with Jim Bouton's days with the Astros during their first .500 season - 1969.

5. haven

haven Member

I want to read it, but am too cheap (broke)to get my own copy. Planning on borrowing my dad's this summer. Everything I've heard has been good, so I'm looking forward to it.

6. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I want to check this out from the library but I've had books out for like 3 years.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Y'know that little stamp, the one that says "Houston Public Library"? Well that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole hell of a lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before: Flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Well, let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn't HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped! Or: maybe that turns you on, maybe that's how y'get your kicks. You and your good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for ya, joy-boy: Party time is over.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

brilliant, sir. simply brilliant!

9. deepellumrocket

That scene is so genius that even Jerry loses it for a second.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This was just copied and pasted from some Seinfeld site, right?

Now the last episode ... THAT was brilliant! ;)

11. MadMax

you're killing me!!! :D

i was talking with some friends last night about that...my wife said, "i really liked the fact they tried to work in every character who made an appearance...but the show itself simply wasn't funny. it was like a one-trick pony."

my wife is a freaking genuis. and i'm sure she's better looking than you. so she wins!!! :D

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

As far as looks ... that would depend ... are you referring to my pre-mousse, or my post-mousse?

13. MadMax

:D no comment!!!