1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Brown quits 76ers job, looks to quit elsewhere

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dntrwl, Apr 24, 2008.

1. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3365485

I feel sorry for any team that hires him, he'll be gone within 2 years. Rebuild or not, how can your players trust you when they know you are going to ditch them.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He doesn't have a problem with setting fire to a place when he leaves either. To think I would have done anything to get him to coach the Rockets when Rudy left.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

awesome thread title.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Brown must have majorrrr commitment problems :eek:

Has he been divorced? If not I think he's taking it out on his professional life...

(I'v lost alot of respect for Mr. Brown...)

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

He'll be in Dallas by August.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He'll be gone by the 2nd season and get paid for 4 years.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They might get a championship out of it.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Well for all his quitting, this guy's a damn winner.

Anything he touches (except the Knicks, the Knicks are just..too awful) turns into gold. People thought the AI trade was bad but now they got a nice young core making some noise in the East. Philly upsetting Detriot in the first game anyone?

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Larry Brown to Dallas

JVG go to Denver

would be interesting.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Nope. He just fits the Dallas mold. They quit every year too.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol, good title, i thought this was going to be an onion article.

12. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Knicks Deja Vu?

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's too bad we can't look into team practices and actually witness coaching close up, kind of liked the new "miked" gimmick on NBA broadcasts.

So much of what we see and judge a coach on is the teams overall record. Something like 90% of our experience observing a coach is when he's sitting on his ass on the sidelines. The other 10% of our experience is through media directed interviews that won't really reflect the inner workings of a coaches mind and philosophy.

Some coaches are more frank than others. JVG is an example of someone more direct while others seem to be running a 24/7 PR campaign (never saying anything more than the obvious), and maybe rightfully so. Coaching tenures are so brief these days that I'm sure every coach worries about how the fans and GM view their competence. But then who knows if the "www.fire____.com"s that always spring up have any effect whatsoever on management's decision to keep or fire a coach. Angry fans are less likely to buy tickets I'd guess.

Larry Brown has got a pretty sweet deal. He's suited to teams that have a limited window to contend. Those teams right now would be Dallas, Phoenix,.....? Larry Brown to Phoenix would be interesting, and they wouldn't be nuts to take a 2 year commitment. They'll be ready to rebuild around Amare in 2 years.

14. ABtheTerrorist

Teams in the west, like Denver,Dallas,and Phoenix have set themselves up to win and win now but their windows of oppertunity will only last a couple of years before they have to rebuild again.
    AI probably only has a couple of good years in him.
    Same thing w/ Jason Kidd and Shaq.
    These oppertunities would be great for Larry Brown.
    He could teach these teams to do something
    they have never done before:
    Play defense.

Having said that.

Stay away Larry
    GO to the East.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

If I can, I definitely will pull a Larry Brown once every a while.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What LB needs to do is give crack to the NBA GM where he wants to coach. That's the only way he should be able to get a job.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

For hiring a coach in the NBA and especially a High Profile guy like Larry Brown, it is quite possible that the team ownership might also be involved.

Considering what he gave away to acquire a declining Jason Kidd, it might be argued that Cuban could be under the influence of something.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Don't think him quitting Philly was an accident. Bobcats just dumped Sam Vincent. I would expect that within a week we'll hear that LB is the new coach of the Bobcats.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

BINGO!!!!

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You got it!

[​IMG]

April 29, 2008, 3:29PM

Carolina connection: Brown to coach Jordan-led Bobcats
    Charlotte becomes veteran coach's ninth NBA team

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Larry Brown wanted to resurrect his vagabond, Hall of Fame coaching career. Michael Jordan needed a veteran teacher and a big hire to rescue his sinking reputation as an NBA executive.

The two former North Carolina players teamed up Tuesday when Jordan introduced Brown as coach of the Charlotte Bobcats - his ninth NBA coaching job. Brown agreed to a four-year contract, returning to the state where his nomadic coaching journey began.

"How are you going to say no to Michael?" Brown said. "I've known him a long time. The things he stands for have made our game better. There's no way I could say no to him. It was a pretty easy decision once my wife said yes."

The 67-year-old Brown replaces Sam Vincent, whom Jordan hired last year despite no NBA head coaching experience. Vincent, who was fired Saturday, struggled to find consistent rotations and clashed with players in a 32-50 season.

Brown's nine NBA teams are three more than any other coach - Kevin Loughery and Lenny Wilkens each coached six.

"I think I've coached almost everybody in the NBA, but I'm going to challenge everybody to do their best," Brown said. "That's what Michael is about and that's what I'm about."

The Bobcats are in their fourth year, and Brown gives the struggling franchise instant credibility. He's one of only five NBA coaches with more than 1,000 wins and the only coach to lead teams to NBA and NCAA titles.

"I don't want to put too much pressure on Larry," Jordan said. "But I think this is the atmosphere he enjoys."

But Brown hasn't lasted anywhere long, and has had some ugly divorces. His last coaching job was the disastrous 2005-06 season in New York, when the Knicks went 23-59 and Brown clashed with management. His dismissal was followed by a long dispute over how much money he was owed for the rest of his contract. A deal eventually was struck and Brown became an executive vice president with the Philadelphia 76ers, but Brown yearned to return to the bench.

"I was a bad coach. I did a bad job. I learned from that," Brown said, referring to his time with the Knicks. "But being out of it in the last few years, even though I had a title in Philly ... I just missed being around the game. I love it. I want to be a part of it."

Jordan said he contacted Brown before hiring Vincent last spring, but Brown said he wasn't ready to return. He changed his mind late this season, quitting his job in Philadelphia after being interviewed for the Stanford opening.

Shortly after the Bobcats fired Vincent on Saturday, Jordan called Brown again. The Bobcats job was more appealing and did not entail a cross-country move from Philadelphia. Brown's mother lives in Charlotte and he has other relatives there.

"I'm from California, but we just moved in September," said Brown's wife, Shelly. "Selfishly, I would not be ready to up and move to another coast. I think here Larry is surrounded by a lot of great guys with the same value system, same character. And they all want to win."

Brown was a point guard at North Carolina under Dean Smith, decades before Jordan led the school to a national title under the same coach. Brown's coaching career took root in this state. He was hired to coach Davidson, only to resign a month later without a coaching a game. He then went on to coach the ABA's Carolina Cougars.

While Brown took UCLA to the Final Four and won an NCAA title with Kansas, most of his experience has been in the NBA. Brown improved teams in Denver, San Antonio, Indiana and Philadelphia and won an NBA title with the Detroit Pistons in 2004.

"I'm very excited, of course," Bobcats point guard and former Tar Heel Raymond Felton said. "Carolina guy. He loves his point guards, for one. And on top of that he's a great coach. He's going to come in every day and he's going to try to get us better. I'm definitely looking forward to this experience."

Brown, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2002, will now try to get the Jason Richardson-led Bobcats into the playoffs and help Jordan taste success for the first time in two stints running NBA teams.

While Jordan won six NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls, he's made several questionable moves in the front office.

Vincent's ouster marked the second time a coach Jordan hired lasted only one season. Leonard Hamilton resigned after going 19-63 with the Washington Wizards in 2000-01.

Jordan was fired by the Wizards. He bought a minority stake in the Bobcats in 2006 and took over the decision-making from Bernie Bickerstaff. When Bickerstaff moved to the front office after three seasons on the bench, Jordan replaced him with Vincent.

"I told Michael, 'I'm not coming here unless I know you're fully committed," Brown said. "He told me that last year and he told me it again. You know how competitive he is. He wants to win. I can get to him at anytime, and he's surrounded himself with people that I really respect and like."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5739333.html