1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Bird

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MightyMog, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thanks for posting the article. Nice read.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He's not call Larry The Legend for nothing

Rocket River

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Michael
    Magic
    Larry
    Hakeem
    Duncan

My all-time starting 5.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Those are the best players at their respective positions that I've ever seen play.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The guy was incredible. I watched his last 2 years at Indiana State and didn't see him becoming so ridiculously great in the NBA. I hated the Celts with a passion but I liked Larry Bird. He doesn't get nearly enough credit nowadays.

7. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Duncan over Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabber, Bill Russell and Shaq? Really?

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree with this...not 100% on the PF position, but I'll take Duncan in a pinch.

He has Duncan at PF.

#8 Xerobull, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  9. Kenny536

Kenny536 Member

"All I know is that people tend to forget how great the older players were," says Bird. "It'll happen that way with me, too."

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Hakeem could play PF if he wanted to.

Heck, Hakeem could play at least 3 other positions, but for his size and speed PF would probably have been his favorite position.

That being said, playing at center didn't make him any less effective.

11. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

My favorite:

Magic
    Jordan
    LeBron
    Hakeem
    Shaq

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bird wasn't only really, really good, he was a stone-cold psycho killer.

1 person likes this.
  13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Its the damn truth......I guess that's why i have a such high bar for players today when we say they are "Great"

haha I still remember the McDonald Commercial with MJ and Larry Bird.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think there are alot of players from the past who are underrated or under appreciated.

But, Bird is not one of them. I think most people know, recognize (even in the NBA), Bird and Magic being sort of the hallmark of the league, even more so than MJ at times.

It's almost not even arguable to say he is the greatest SF ever.

vcchlw - Duncan over Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabber, Bill Russell and Shaq? Really?

Yeah in reality, Duncan is behind all of those guys, even Shaq. I've seen poster rate Duncan ahead career wise over Shaq, but I know alot of them are basing that on the last half of his career and not the first half. Duncan has never been as good his career, as Shaq from 93-01.

15. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Larry Birds daughter....

[​IMG]

16. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Bird in the mid-80s was absolutely ridiculous. He put up Lebron James stat lines while shooting 50/40/90, and most importantly:
    That is the part that made him so scary. Was there anyone in the league, other than Jordan, where it was a near certainty that he would make the big play or shot when his team needed it most?

He would talk trash right to your face by saying he is going to hit the game-winning shot over you and there would be nothing you could do about it. Then he'd do it, seemingly effortlessly.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHFrgmy8SSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHFrgmy8SSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

18. adoo

adoo Member

the NBA of the mid to late 1970s was in the midst of drug scandal. TV ratings were dropping like gravity; the NBA finals were tape-delayed on TV

the TV ratings for the Bird/Magic matchup for the 1979 NCAA finals is still the highest ever. they carried their rivalry to the NBA.

their rivalry, plus the intense dislike their particular fan base had for one another, resusitated the popularity of the NBA.

Bird and Magic have been credited with rescuing the NBA. i, too, do not think that Bird was under-rated nor appreciated.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

MJ screwed up pro basketball. All these players trying to be like Mike without the physical talent, when they should have been trying to be like Bird.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this used to be true, everyone wanted to be one on one not realizing MJ's fundamental skills. MJ was taught by Dean Smith, he was a very fundamentally sound player.

I don't think its as bad as it used to be though. the mid to late nineties was terrible.