1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop water damage advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CaptainRox, Jun 15, 2013.

1. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Close friend has a Mac book pro. Accidentally spilled coffee on it. Apple gave her the option of replacing it for 1200 or buying a new one out right. Question was if anyone knows how to get data out of the hard drive if its not too late AND how to open the disc drive (has sims disc in their)

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, so this is a "friend" story where you are asking for advice. Just admit,,,it's you! lols

the harddrive isn't damaged. You can lookup how to pull it out. Or pay for it.

Also, there is a high chance that the computer is recoverable in its entirety, as long as "your friend" didn't short out anything...by trying to turn it on and off and on. In cases like this, immediately (IMMEDIATELY) pull out the power cord...and never turn it back on.

I spilled on my computer, and you can totally recover it by disassembling it, drying out everything...reseating the chip with new heat puddy and all that. But PC's are easier than Mac at that. :p

With Mac's, you're just fIcked at doing garage mechanic stuff.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would surprise me if you couldn't get both done, even at a place like Best Buy. I was able to do it when one of my kids spilled something on their laptop and turned it into a big coaster, which works quite well with mugs of Bavarian beer like these.

[​IMG]

You're supposed to be looking at the beers, dude.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^^

Lols my laptop closed on my coffee table with a big external monitor is also a big coaster

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Next time try blowing your load in your socks.

6. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Haha.

Btw, thanks for all the responses. My friend did bring it by the Genius Bar and they told her to fork over cash for a new one or to get refurbished one. She's gonna need a new lap top anyways but I was just wondering how sure you guys were for taking it to best buy or some computer tech's to get the hard drive. Btw, to clarify she now has told me it was coffee. So using hardly any deductive skills I'm gonna assume hot coffee is worse than plain old water

7. VanityHalfBlack

You spilled coffee on it? Dude just toss it in the dryer and it'll be fine in no time!

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nah, wet is wet, unless she got the coffee at McDonald's.

9. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Alright. Makes sense. Kinda wish it was from McDonald's in hindsight, maybe get a million dollars out of it like the old woman a while back after she spilled it on herself.

Anyways, where's the best place to go? Ordinary repair shop? Maybe yelp for some?

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Well, it was nice of Apple to give her an option to buy a new one outright.

11. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I know right? At full retail price! What gems