1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop Spec check

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by darkwarrior, Nov 21, 2008.

1. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

Hey d00ds I'm about to buy a laptop and I need some advice from you techies. I've been kind of out of the loop with regards to computer specs, especially laptops. This will be my first.

My budget was $600-700 and I went alittle over after taxes kicked in. It's a Lenovo which i chose mostly for it's price/spec ratio. here are the specs let me know if I'm getting a good deal.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 - 77583DU

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5750 ( 2GHz 667MHz FSB 2MB Cache)
    Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    Display type: 15.4 WXGA TFT with integrated camera AntiGlare 1280x800
    System Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT 256MB
    Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz
    Hard drive: 250GB 5400RPM
    Optical device: DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) 24X Max
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR
    Communication adapter: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965A/G/N
    Pointing device: Industry Standard Touchpad
    Weight: 6.59 lbs
    Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
    Warranty: One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)

Total Price: $743.18 shipped.

I looked at the Black Friday deals and they didn't appeal to me at all. I wanted a core 2 duo with a dedicated graphics card. I did research and it looks like the 8600 GT is a very good one. The BF deals had integrated video with a lower processor product line and no bluetooth.
    Plus I haven't seen too many people on campus with a lenovo :D

Oh and anyone here running autocad? Please post your specs and comments on how it runs on your computer.

2. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Similar system at Dell (1GB more memory and slightly faster proc) came to $837.86 ($774 before taxes + free shipping). The extra might put it out of your price range, but the specs are a bit better. Plus, it's a pretty shade of blue!

Studio 15
    SYSTEM COLOR Midnight Blue
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5800 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support
    PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works
    HD DISPLAY Bright, glossy widescreen 15.4 WLED display (1280x800)
    MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    HARD DRIVE Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1510 802.11 n half mini-card
    BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
    BATTERY OPTIONS 56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
    SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ Advanced HD Software Edition edit
    KEYBOARD Standard Keyboard (included in the price)

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Member

You should probably go for a smaller screen if its going to be used at school.

4. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

yeah that dell config is just alittle out of my price range. I did want that cpu for my laptop though. Maybe i'll just upgrade it when I have the money. I'm already planning to upgrade the memory, though from what I've read the performance boost will be minimal.

@ JadWindex:

I actually initially wanted a 14" notebook for portability but I realized that having better specs was more important. This one is alittle on the hefty side; it weighs in at 6.4lb but I think I can deal with that. Good thing is my apartment is 2 minutes away so I don't have to lug it around everyday.

Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade it, I'll be making good money as a civil engineer so I won't have this problem. Only have about a year left; just have to keep on truckin'. :cool: