1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RickRock713, Aug 19, 2009.

1. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

How much does it cost to replace a laptop screen?

I have sony Vaio and the screen is terrible condition. It started getting these verticle lines a while back. Now theres just a whole bunch of lines all over the screen. They are in all sorts of colors.

Earlier i smushed my finger on the screen out of frustration and made it even worse.....Now theres this big black spot on the screen where i smushed my thumb on the left side of the screen got real pale.

2. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Including labor, it's usually more than the cost of the laptop.

How old is it? You may be able to get away with a manuf. warranty repair if there's no signs of dropping, etc.

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Ask moes19, he ended up buying like 18 screens before he got one that worked well. Don't know how much he paid.

4. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

Aside from the are you pushed in, it sounds like you might have a video card problem. A bunch of the Vaio's used a faulty Nvidia card. I got burnt by it, and what I experienced sounds similiar to your problem.

If it is a video card issue, you might have to replace the whole motherboard. That might costs > $500.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

If it's old enough to be going out and out of warranty, you're better off buying a new laptop and maybe using the old laptop as a desktop with an external monitor. Or check craigslist for a free CRT if you're broke.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Cost of the Screen is most of the cost
    Putting it on his not usually that hard

Rocket River

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's better to buy a new laptop, because you will have more powerful system. Replacing the LCD will cost $200-$400. However, the rest of your PC is still old. However, if you are wrong, then you have to spend more money to replace the motherboard(integrated graphics).

The hard drive may need to be replaced after the warranty expires(3-5 years). That's another $100.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I had my motherboard replaced for $300 to replace a video problem :(
    What a mistake! It was during the holiday season last year, and there were more powerful new laptops going for $300-400.

While still at the repair shop on Westheimer, I turned on the laptop and it took a full 5 minutes to startup. I checked the ram and found out, that they switched out 1 GB of RAM for 256 MB of RAM. Windows XP runs like a slug on 256 MB. They tried to say the PC was slow from viruses, and that it had nothing to do with the missing RAM. :rolleyes: I got them to give the RAM back.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Does this involve soldering or something like that?

10. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Not trying to derail your thread, RickRock713, but I have a quick question. I recently spilled milk and lost a couple of keys on my laptop keyboard (backspace, shift, enter). Is it possible to replace these or do I have to get an external keyboard?

11. Bruce

Bruce Member

What kind of computer do you have? It was extremely easy to remove the keyboard of my HP laptop when I was trying to fix the screen. The only thing you have to disconnect(besides the screws) is one cable that slides out very easily.

12. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

this is my parents laptop repair shop, been in business for 25+ years. they have loyal customer base.

$175 flat rate repair.

www.vicscanfix.com
    8125 Westglen Drive
    Houston, tx 77063
    713-789-1888

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I bought a replacement Viao screen on ebay for like 90 bucks and installed it myself. I probably spent about 4 hours getting it on, but it was well worth doing it myself for what I saved.

Plus it wasn't hard. I just paid attention as I took it apart and replaced everything the way it originally was (other than a screw or two leftover ;))

The Vaio I had didn't

14. Hayesfan

Another thing you can buy on ebay. I bought a laptop off dealtree and replaced missing buttons with no problem.

15. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

thanks for your help fellas..

so the 175 charge includes the price of the screen?

im intersting in trying this ..i was looking at videos on youtube on how to replace laptop screens......doesn't look too difficult..

does it have to be the exact same model type and size? or could i get a diferent models screen? just as long as its a sony vaio..right?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

None at all.
    Most are a bunch of screws [little screws] and plastic tip plug-ins.
    I don't know about that modem in specific .. but some the whole screen
    comes in one part

Rocket River

17. Hayesfan

I bought the exact same one. What I bought was basically the top half of the laptop.

Here's how I bought mine (not the same as my old viao but you can see what I mean)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Viao-VGN-N...in_0?hash=item3354f762d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

18. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

yours came with the casing..

thansk for your help man...i found what i needed on ebay..brand new for just 95 dollars...

hopefully it wont be too hard to install..,..its just the screen though so i dont think i will have to unscrew the whole top halp of the laptop..just fighure out how to take the screen off.....

19. Hayesfan

Good luck! Like I said I had no experience with it whatsoever, just memorized where everything went as I took it apart and when I was finished it worked just fine. :)