1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Laptop for HS Graduation present

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by krnxsnoopy, May 7, 2012.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Not even close to true... I have done graphic design contract work, I have tons of friends who do it as well, and for the most part we use PC. If it were 10/12 years ago I might agree with you, but not now.

2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

What 10 years ago

Proof in the pudding

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0

My bad, its 7% now....

Nobody cares.....I only care about responses like buy a Mac and dual boot it for Windows.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

QFT. of course, I'd want a mac, but I'm not a {insert some slight, as though it matters enough to be petty, here}.

I'm not sure why this is getting attention still, in that the OP has since been noted as saying she wasn't in Graphic Design. As for the statement at face value, Voodoo knows what he's talking about, and judging by your history here, you're a bit removed from a macophile GD unwillingly converted to windows by it's latest inroads to the field. I agree, it's not like it used to be (where only fools would have been on widows in that field), but that doesn't mean that because you and your friends are on PC that the professional design community agrees with the implication by and large.

Just my two cents on that matter.

#43 CrazyDave, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Samsung QX410. Sexy. 5+ hrs battery life. Windows 7. Windows 8 is coming and I'm sure she's going to love it. If you're a Windows user and own a boat load of wink wink softwares it's the only way to go.

If you do end up getting it, make sure to either reinstall Windows or uninstall a whole bunch of preloaded bloatwares.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G0RTlkfsfJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. CrazyDave

6. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Lol US??????

Try global

7. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

CrazyDave

If you didn't care, stop defending Apple weak market for desktops.

8. CrazyDave

actually, I was just correcting your numbers. I'm not defending anything except people's opportunity to not be bombarded by those that have some personal issues with people's choice of OS.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

While the matter is dead, the myth persists. I pass the burdon if proof on to you and your cohorts, what can a mac do for q graphic designer that a PC cannot do? Get back to me on that one right quick. I don't care what voodoo did or does,the growing trend is to use pcs for design primarily because of customizability of the hardware and the relatively low price.

10. CrazyDave

That was not the question. Good try. Growing trend is save money, no kidding. Yes, it can be done, yes, the numbers are going that way, but that doesn't mean it's preferred by the people in the industry. All I'm sayin. Won't get into arguing the finer points. Both platforms have merits.

I would like to not derail any further, but I'm sure I'll be accosted with some other imaginary or embellished details. Apologies, it's difficult to keep it real with so many ready to condemn with conjecture and smarmy remarks. I have never understood the partisanship.

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Why even bother. These are Apple fanboys are computer illiterate. 99% of the CGI company jobs that I work for and know uses a PC and a very small percentage that uses a MAC. When a special artists/editors ect that only know how to use a MAC will be getting a MAC or certain programs that demand using a MAC.

12. CrazyDave

lol. and here I thought you were maturing, bebop.

derrrrrp, better get back to my computers manual, see if I can get this foot pedal to work.

Question: how do you listens to CDs when you have cup in the drinkholder?

13. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Well I've tested them out already. I know that Office works on a Mac, the main problem is the keyboard shortcuts. In my line of work I have to have all the keyboard shortcuts memorized, especially some of the more advanced ones in order to do a financial model on Excel efficiently. I can pretty much design an entire financial model without using my mouse once. Unfortunately, some of the shortcuts that are available on PCs just do not exist on Macs. Not to mention that there would be a huge learning curve which would result in a drop in my productivity at work.

14. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I can get the cheapest macbook pro for 1000 with the university faculty discount and a mac air for under 1000.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Asus or Toshiba. I prefer Asus aluminum.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd agree with these recommendations, but I would add Lenovo to the list. Most companies I have worked for the past few years have standardized on the T410 for most users and the x220 for those that want a smaller/lighter laptop. They are very durable, very light, and have resisted the trend towards chiclet keyboards so their keyboard (and pencil eraser pointer device) work really well.

I looked closely at the Toshiba Porteges, the Asus Zenbooks and the newer B23 before getting a Lenovo X220 (I needed the ExpressCard 54 slot and TPM chip). I opted for one with an SSD so its light and quick. Not as slick looking as the Zenbooks (and MacBook Airs)... the thin AL bodies look really cool, but the x220 is made largely from magnesium alloy.