1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Laptop for HS Graduation present

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by krnxsnoopy, May 7, 2012.

1. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Fixed. Hey Butterfingers, if you're ever interested in Apple technology in business, you should come by my store. Shoot me an email through the board.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

on what planet can you get a good Macbook for much under $1000? :p

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Asus eePC. Cheap, reliable, portable.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not true. HP just released, and invested a lot of money into, the Folio 13 ultrabook line and the ENVY Spectre line. Both of these are premium notebooks and are supposed to be the foundation for a new generation of HP machines. There is restructuring going on within HP, and that may change a lot of things within the company, but it's to combine their PSG and printer divisions.

But, as always with HP, the key phrase is "supposed to be."

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm awaiting delivery of my new Toshiba Satellite L745-S4126 14-Inch Laptop. $456 on Amazon. I've heard nothing but good things about Toshibas and the price was right. Mostly meant for a home pc for general surfing, pictures, music.

For work I have a HP probook 6455b. It's been great, so far. No problems at all.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Get her the best Lenovo ThinkPad you can get in that range. They're the best made, and most importantly for a college student, they have the best keyboard by far. Her friends might be cooler with their Macs at the start of a 10-page paper, but her hands will thank her by the end.

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Just graduating HS? I can't make a reliable recommendation without pics first. C'mon clutchfans... smh. But seriously, I've had an HP dv6000 since graduation in '07 and it still works really well, but the speakers (headphone jack works) and power button don't work and I have lines all over my screen. I would probably get another HP because it still runs fast, but I would be open to other names also.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Another vote for MacBook. And the college should have all sorts of deals on software, so don't buy any.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of flash storage. That's a really sweet machine (5 years ago) ;)

11. Third eye

Third eye Member

If she is in graphic design she will want a MAC. She may know now but....once she gets to college she def will want a mac

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

See the OP

13. Third eye

Third eye Member

This....however was worried about teacher compatibility with the teachers programs ummmmm what!? They have windows OS products that can easily adapt to the Mac. If u don't get her a Mac shell have one within a year and a half. I went to the best GD school in the nation University of North Texas!

14. Third eye

Third eye Member

Well I missed the not. Man she's not as hip anymore go DELL

15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Just stop with these MACS

They own 2-4% of the desktop market. Windows 95%.

Dual booting on a Mac to get windows is freaking funny when I see this. Majority of the time they never boot into Mac OS.....

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Those figures are spot on, Mog, (for over 10 years ago).

OP, is it a secret? Why don't you ask her what she'd like, give her the options, instead of the bipartisan masses?

Seriously, it's like some of you care if he gets her a mac. I mean, really. care. come on, now. check yourselves.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Truth!

Ask her first what she wants. If shes bent on a Mac, get her a Mac.

Mac is mostly a status symbol. The truth remains the world runs on windows.

Get her at least an I5 dual core processor. Make sure it has a SD slot and a camera. And make sure the exhaust fan blows out the side and not the bottom.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

These statements contribute nothing.

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You knew the foolishness was coming though. Some of them can't help themselves.

Op, you are probably better off just asking her. Macs and Ultrabooks are great, but you'll be hard pressed to find her something under $800 in either of those.

Outside of that, most everything else is fairly similar. You can get a good specced machine from Dell, Asus, HP or Toshiba for around 500. Software (like Office) can be handled through her school discount.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If she wants a mac, contributing $800 towards one would probably be more appreciated than an otherwise excellent PC. Not as much fun unwrapping an Applestore gift card but possibly a better gift? Depends on what she wants. You should know this better than us. I'd want the PC but I'm not a HS senior.

I originally thought the thread said "Lap Dance" -- and I had no advice, but was expecting a more interesting read.