1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Laptop conversations} Asus or Sony or Macbook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OlajuwonFan81, Sep 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well i am considering splurging a bit and spending anywhere from 1000 to 1500 on a laptop. I have come down to these 3 brands. A few things i prefer is good resolution and 15 inch, sleek look that is lightweight, and if PC must be touchscreen. What say you?

2. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

What does Google say?

3. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1

Vizio CT151T

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I've had an Asus for the last year or so; I typically buy at the low end but even considering that I don't know if I like this laptop. Weird mouse/touchpad stuff every once in a while.

5. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I own an Asus and I love it. I think I paid $350 and I have nothing bad to say about it. I previously had a Dell and this Asus has already outlasted it. You are spending a good bit of cash though. I would definitely do some research.. Consumer Reports is helpful.

6. The Stig

The Stig Member

Macbook. Most reliable computer of all the computers I've owned.

You pay a premium but I think it's justified.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I've had a MacBook for 4 years now, and it still runs well. Basically what Stig said, paying a premium but it's worth it because of reliability and resale value. If you are going to go PC, I'd recommend Sony. Not that there is something wrong with Asus, I've always liked Sony's laptops.

8. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I'm on my second ASUS laptop. The 1st lasted longer than expected and I never had issues with hardware. My current laptop is a nice bang for the buck, and haven't had any issues.

ASUS has been good to me.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If you are spending that much, go with Apple...because it will easily last you 5 years.

Ive had a Macbook Air for 3 years now...and it still runs exactly the same as when I turned it on for the first time.

If you dont want an Apple, then go with something in the sub $1000 range.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The latest retina macbooks are f'n sweet.

The 13 inch retina weighs almost as light as last year's air.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

If you go Apple, a brand new 15" Macbook Pro is out of your range. But you can get a refurb model that's just a little bit over. Apple refurbs have a very good reputation and most consider just as good as new.

I'm still using my 2007 Macbook so I'm looking to go for the newest model possible on my next purchase.

I would buy a refurb myself but a refreshed lineup should be coming out in the next month so I'm waiting for that. If you really want a new one wait a month if you can.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Macbook absolutely. Had mine for 5 years

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Haven't heard anybody ever regret buying a MacBook. They're seriously awesome machines. Definitely more reliable long-term than any other computer you could buy.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

For most users, I don't think the brand really matters anymore. I know people with many different brands and no one really have said their laptop brand sucks. You probably can just go with the cheapest that satisfy your specs.

That said, as someone who doesn't really take care of his electronic stuff, I personally find that Sony is more resistant towards bad ownership than other brands. Never used Mac so I can't comment on it.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

MacBook unless you're a gamer.

16. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

retina mac, the 15 inch actually can game pretty decently for a laptop too.

17. supdudes

supdudes Member

Asus if you want the best specs.

Lenovo if you want reliability.

Sony if you want style and performance.

Macbook if you want you like setting money on fire.

18. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have personally owned a sony the past 6 years and have been very satisfied. With that said my cousin keeps telling me I should buy a mac and i have seen his new macbook with retina display and it is absolutely amazing. As for ASUS it just seems from reviews that it gets the highest rated reviews among pc notebooks.

Anyway I think i may wait until the macbook retina 15 inch get a little cheaper.

19. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I got my Macbook Pro Retina last year. It was the most expensive piece of joy I've ever spent. Is it worth it? Yes. I get happiness every time I touch this beautiful machine.

20. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Bought an ASUS in January. 17" N76V.. I was hesitant at first cause it was my first time buying an ASUS but it has been absolutely great.. Would highly recommend.