1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry's inconsistencies as of late

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XBLRocketman111, Jan 19, 2010.

1. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

i met him at frys on southwest fw last summer, him and i think his brother were watching preseason football argueing whether asamougha was white or black. im 6'1 landry is about 6'6. i said good luck this season and he said thanks......then he went over to a worker and tried to get me kicked out for talking to him...jerk,hope he gets traded. so i talked to the worker and the worker said landry was in the week earlier and they get nba players all the time in there.

2. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I think it's a matter of adjusting to the new defenses, since his "slump" began around the time teams started keying on him. Timing is the hard part. The problem is that in learning when to pass out of a DT, a post player usually begins by waiting to see when the DT wil commit. The issue here is that it leaves the DT as the driver of the event, and the DT is allowed to partially commit as the clock runs. When a post player learns to be more aggressive, they control the timing and force the DT to commit.

You can see this with Yao. When he is aggressive going to the basket, the DT is forced to move quickly and Yao is able to either get to the basket or find the open man much easier.

3. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I took my son to the Rockets - Nets game in New Jersey and Landry was very gracious by signing autographs (even one for my son!) before the game. Class act! He didn't have to sign 50-100 autographs; he could have just run into the locker room.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Carl landry is atleast 6"8 in shoes cause I met chase bud the other day and he is legit 6"8 just quite skinny needs to bulk up landry is a beast I'm confident he will find his way he's talented but a very hard worker to go with it

5. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

maybe its because i was standing behind him like a stalker, wearing a wife beater with tattoos ala Matt Stevens former texan, plus i hadnt shaved in 3 weeks so i looked like a homeless bum. then i told him i knew him and he looked at me like "wtf?" thats when i said have a nice season.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

What a silly thing to argue about:

[​IMG]

7. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

well i stood behind them for a good 5 minutes waiting for him to turn around so i heard the whole convo. number 21 of the raiders whoever that is

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That would be Asomugha (pictured above).

How is this even an argument?!

9. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

word.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's a good story because when I tried to get my Landry jersey signed by him he just stared at me and said "gotta go to shootaround, maybe later." Never did. :p

Either way it was pointed out by Clyde in the Milwaukee game that teams are easily leaving Ariza to squash three defenders in the paint, and it seems to be doing a number on Landry.

11. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

his friend or brother (the guy was about 2 inches shorter) was saying the player is "a brother" and landry kept saying he looked white, and they were argueing over which player,then landry pointed to the screen (73in dlp or lcd) and said "him him" as the camera zoomed in and i noticed the number 21, then they started talking really fast and i couldnt understand, then landry said "lets go look at something cheaper" which threw me off because he is a millionaire and the tv was only like $3000 , thats when he turned around

12. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think that the team is starting to go to him in certain places more. In other words trying to use him as a traditional power forward, which he most certainly is not. I feel that Landry has always been at his best when he's on the move ready to finish plays. He's not the type of player that you can position at a certain spot and just have him go to work, because that's playing into the taller, less active guys' advantages. I don't like Landry as a player that you position somewhere, I like the constantly moving Landry. The guy is a beast because he's faster and stronger than most other power forwards, but you lose that when he starts favoring certain spots since it makes him more predictable. Just like you can't expect Ariza to create from the wing if you isolate him against his defender, but if you get him in stride and make the defense have to catch up to him, then it's not very easy to stop him either. I'm going to come out and say it bluntly in fact, but this team has to be a motion oriented team for these reasons. They're better than a lot of players when it comes to that, but if you make them stationary players, that's when they're below average. I'm sure that these adjustments will be made soon. Having said that, the energy of the team doesn't seem so great these days either.

13. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

What will you want? The bottom line is Landry is not the star. By the way, how much did we pay him? 3mil , you get 16pt a game is a steal. Being inconsistencies are reasonable. I think he did great jobs.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

nbadraftexpress lists Landry as 6' 7.75" w/o shoes and 6' 8.5" w/ shoes, and for comparison Dwight Howard is listed as 6' 9" w/o shoes.

I think he is a great player and worth having around for many years; I like his aggresiveness like when he ran over that Bucks player for standing in the restricted zone.

15. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

No one here is complaining about his production, he's a heck of a player, we're just discussing what is wrong with his game. As in, why is he struggling? There's reasons for this that warrant discussion.

16. matthappy

matthappy Member

carl is struggling right now,he needs to learn more weapons,he needs to find his teamamtes left open when he facing double team.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not the first time Landry has played really well for a stretch and then sort of faded away for an equally long stretch.

In fact, seems to happen every year.

18. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Hahaha I work @ frys,but the 1 in north houston,hopefully he goes 2 the 1 I work @ 1 day

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think the double teams/fronting are coming harder and he's adjusting. this is where you really need a playmaker who can use the pick and roll and give landry some easy buckets.

anyways, he needs to wake up fast b/c he's on my fantasy team :mad:

20. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

I can see Yao being double teamed, kickin out near the freethrow line where landry will be cutting In for jams.
    As of now landry is just having a Lil slump just like the rest p f the rockets can really blame it all on him his team mates aren't playing like they hVe been.