1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Landry's inconsistencies as of late

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XBLRocketman111, Jan 19, 2010.

1. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

I have been wanting to post open a discussion on Landry's play as of late. Adelman has said a few times that Landry isn't being aggresive enough as he has been...... I think i know why!

He hasn't been playing bad but not his usual self, they say teams have changed their defense to stop him.....

I don't really see it yeah sometimes the guard tries to dig down a little on his post up but that is normal NBA basketball.

I think it's because the rockets have made it a point to teach him to pass out of the double team. He is thinking to much out there now when he gets the ball in the post now. He is trying to make good passes out of double teams that have not fully committed to the double team.

In which the ball goes out and everybody is back on their original guy because nobody has fully came over and that is making him ineffective. Carl has to be dominant enough to get a true double team before he starts thinking about not being aggressive.

For example A team tries to play yao one on one and yao goes for 12 points in the first quarter, doing what he normally does .....boom 2nd quarter they come with the double team. that is when yao needs to look for the guy left open..

Landry really has not gotten full double teams yet when he is getting the ball in the post. he is thinking that he is going to get one. therefor it seems he isn't being as aggressive when he is not getting one.....

Stop overthinking it carl and just play ball!!! I wished the refs would start giving him a little better treatment!

Love Landry as a player this is open for discussion!!!

2. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

That's because Landry has a low basketball IQ ... :cool:

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He needs to watch game tapes of Yao.

I think Adelman put Scola out on the floor with Landry last game because he wants to see Landry pass it out to Scola for the midrange jumper when doubled. That was how the Rockets punished the Trailblazers with Yao in last year's playoffs.

4. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

O boy..... let's not go there....

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Guys have slumps.

Landry is in one. It sucks, but it happens.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Long athletic guys sometimes give him trouble. He is only 6-7.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

how many games has this slump been? He's been doing great in the bigger picture. I don't think he's going to have many bad games. The guy is in full beast mode.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's Arizas fault :cool:

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That is how NBA works. You are not gonna do those same thing throughout 82 games. Teams make adjustments.

Carl is pretty good offensivly but scouts realize he is a real thread inside so they better leav Ariza wide open because he can't make those shots.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good analysis, I think he is facing new defenses, and needs to find his way.

I believe he will.

DD

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think he is more like 6'5 1/2"

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

All the height measurements in the NBA are exaggerated. The 6'11 guys guarding Landry are probably only 6'8.5".

13. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

Explain the new defense? Guards digging down a littlke further? I think until you get a true double team play your game

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

That's the difference between a good player and a star player in the NBA. A good player ascends to become a star player when he can still score consistently when the other teams geared their defense to stop him. Carl at this time is one of the good players in the NBA.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe, but they also have long arms. Okafur was just stuffing like crazy that new Orleans game. I wish they would run more pnr with him and brooks or lowry.

16. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

I remeber readin on a thread that landry was practicing his
    Pass out of double teams,and ever since that,he has been
    Passing it out more,unless he's on the elbow,he goes 1 on 1,but
    In the post,he's been passing it out more,that might b why he has
    Not been as consistent as he was...but he'l get their again,I'm sure
    He coachable and willing to do was better for the team

17. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I like how Landry is playing. He doesn't turn the ball over when he gets double team like Yao does. It will he interesting to see how team plays him when Yao returns though.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Teams now see landry as a threat and he's being treated accordingly. Teams are now fronting him in the post in the 4th qt. For awhile, he was the 2nd leading scorer in the 4th qt. Its not he's inconsistent, its he's elevated in the minds of coaches as a big offensive threat.

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

About 5 games... ever since he scored his career high against Phoenix.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=3217

20. amaru

amaru Member

Exactly......you can see the opposing coach change his defensive scheme as soon as Landry walks towards the scorers table.