1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry Out for tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think this deserves its own thread. Please Close if Admins feel otherwise.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...kn/5603689.html

March 8, 2008, 11:35AM
    Rockets sign Rice product Harris, release Green
    Forward signed for depth with Landry injured

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

With surging rookie forward Carl Landy out for tonight’s game against the New Orleans Hornets, the Rockets moved quickly to shore up the thinning ranks of their frontcourt.

The Rockets signed former Rice forward and fan favorite Mike Harris, who impressed in training camp this season, to a 10-day contract, releasing guard Gerald Green to make room on the roster for Harris. Landry has developed swelling in his left knee and will be evaluated further. He bruised the knee against Indiana on Wednesday, but played the next night in Dallas with little difficulty.

“We’re making this move because of concern about tonight,” Rockets vice president of basketball operations Sam Hinkie said. “We’re making this move because Mike Harris is someone we’ve always liked. We need live bodies, and he’s more than just a live body.”

The Rockets also signed center Justin Williams to a 10-day contract on Friday. But without Landry – who has averaged 13.8 points on 68.4 percent shooting since Yao Ming went out for the season – the Rockets could be very short-handed in frontcourt scoring, with only Luis Scola considered a scoring option at the power forward or center positions.

“(Harris) is a guy we’ve liked for a long time,” Hinkie said. “We thought played very well for us. He brings a level of energy, toughness and athleticism and we like his rebounding. Our coaches always liked him and are very positive on him, as well as was the staff on basketball ops side. We targeted him, as someone that we if needed help, he’d be on the top of the list.”

2. kona-

kona- Member

Already posted.

3. DrRafay

DrRafay Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!

4. juju14

juju14 Member

He was playing decent in dallas, but his explosiveness wasn't that great.I hope this is not serious.

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

"...Landry will be evaluated further" That kind of concerns me. Further as in a month or two, or when Landry decides it's ok to get X-Ray's? hell who knows with these guys.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What I want to know are:

1. Are the Rockets better without Carl Landry?

and

2. Do you enjoy the season more now that Carl Landry is out?

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I hope this isn't anything but I am a little bit concerned.

Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury is extreme stretching or tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the knee. A tear may be partial or complete.

Early symptoms:
    * A "popping" sound at the time of injury
    * Severe pain
    * Knee swelling within 6 hours of injury

Landry looked in pain to me on Thursday and now is reported having swelling.

8. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

It was way more than six hours because he got the bruise during the Indiana game. He didn't have it when playing Dallas. I'm not too concerned.

9. juju14

juju14 Member

Just cause he played mean noting.It could still be serious.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think there's reason to be concerned. The Rockets didn't cut Green to bring back Harris for one game - especially since he's not even playing tonight (I don't think?). They might be thinking that Landry might be down for a while..

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I so hope you are wrong! But I agree signing Mike Harris seems a little extreme for just a bruise.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

What the hell is wrong with the Rockets medical staff? Why do they keep letting guys play on these injuries, undiagnosed until things get worse? This can't be common... can it?

13. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Hope Landry's injury isn't serious.

And Harris WILL be suited up to play tonight.

14. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Exactly what I thought. Though it could be that they are preparing for the worst. Even Landry is ok, our front line is still very thin.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK - Let's keep our fingers crossed.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

These injuries out of nowhere are getting anoying! No clues leading to Yao's problem and now this with Landry. Every Rockets player needs a full physical and MRI scan ;).

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Mike Harris is playing tonight.

18. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

?????????....WTF?????????/

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't think there's anything at all extreme about it. The Rockets are already thin up front and this injury probably shocked them into realizing how thin we really are. Even if Landry is fine the Rockets are going to have to be able to cut his minutes and Dikembe's minutes.

20. juju14

juju14 Member

Actually there was clues.Right before they announce yao injury we made a thread saying yao looked bad in that Bulls gm.We made a thread saying laundry didn't look like himself in that Mavs gm.The Rockets medical staff is full of idiots.