1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landon Donovan echos Royce White on the perception of mental issues

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by xcrunner51, Apr 2, 2013.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This is not same context as Royce White and Donovan certainly isn't trying to be a martyr or lightning rod for mental health issues but what he says in wake of his layoff from soccer sounds a lot like what Royce has said in the past.

Grantland

EDIT* to throw in my two cents on Donovan's case, it sounds like he had a mid-life crisis. So I don't blame him for taking time off. He's earned the leeway for time off.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. Anxiety Trooper

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get where he's coming from...to an extent. It has been constant playing for a long time for him. But there have been signs of weakness from him for a long time as well, too. His inability to move on to bigger and better. I don't consider his 2 failures in Germany. The first one was primarily due to his age. The 2nd was probably due to the fact that he felt he was forced to go when he wasn't entirely ready. But when it became clear that he could succeed in the EPL, why stay in the MLS? Why not take your game to the next level? I understand the comfort level in LA and the MLS. But that's what you do when your career is nearing it's end...not when you're still in the prime of your life and have a chance to do big things.

Good for him that he's back and ready to go. I agree that he has to earn his spot on the USMNT...though I don't think it will take him long to do so. He is needed if, and only IF, he is mentally ready for that. Luckily for him, he got 2 of the more difficult road games out of the way before coming back. I'm not sure if that was part of his thinking or not. But not having to play at Honduras and Mexico the rest of the way certainly makes things easier for him.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Who the F is Landon Donovan

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I remember him fighting with pretty Beckham when they were teammates.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The best US soccer player of all time.

DD

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Man I find that utterly depressing. 10 years of US soccer and you're right, he's better than anyone on the team.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There are some that could be better over time.

Shea, Bradley, maybe Dempsey -....of course this is excluding Keepers.

DD

10. Beavis Stiffler

He's cool when he plays for the USA but also a more hated douche when playing for the L.A. Galaxy.

What I meant is he's a "hero" for his country/national team and a "villain" for playing with the most overrated and overhyped soccer team in the MLS.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, it's kind of hard to be overrated as a team when you're the 2-time defending champion.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Donovan has earned the benefit of the doubt based on his record of performance.

Royce White, on the other hand, hasn't done jack as a pro.

U.S needs both Donovan and Dempsey to have the best chance of success in 2014.

#12 Aceshigh7, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

All kidding aside though, when it comes to the USMNT, warmly welcome Donovan. Warmly welcome.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I was kind of hoping he would go ahead and retire so I wouldn't have to root for him while playing for the US again.

15. xcrunner51

Tim Howard has had the best European career overall of the current group. Dempsey's last season was amazing for an American though.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

so you have to prove yourself as a competent professional in order to use mental health as a reason for sitting out? Sounds wrong.

17. xcrunner51

On the face, yea that sounds wrong. But when Royce fraudulently told teams that his mental health issues would not be an issue pre-draft then proceeded to dictate to teams after being drafted the situation becomes less black and white.

When you sign a contract and then claim mental illness before you have rendered ANY services, there's an issue.